Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Need advice: Which rings for Leupold VX-II for lever rifle?

Need advice: Which rings for Leupold VX-II for lever rifle?

I have a Henry Repeating Arms Co. Big Boy lever rifle in .44 Magnum/.44 Special. My vision is not so great, and I want to shoot at 50 yards, so I got a Leupold VX-II scope, 6-18 x 40. My local gun shop owner mounted it for me on a base that is a cantilever bracket. Anyway, they used generic, off the shelf rings, and I need advice on getting some better rings.

Problem I am having is that the rings do not hold the scope in place when I shoot. I have tightened and tightened the screws so much that I am afraid I might strip them (but doubt that has already happened -- point is, they are tight). If I use .44 Magnum rounds, the scope moves all the way forward in the rings, so that the power adjustment ring is too close the rear scope ring and I can not turn the adjustment ring to change the magnification power. Even if I use .44 Special rounds, the scope still gradually moves forward to the point that the power adjustment ring can not be turned.

So, what do I do??? What rings would work for this scope?

Default Re: Need advice: Which rings for Leupold VX-II for lever rifle?

I'd get at least medium rings or mayb even high rings to ensure that your scope clears the rifle. Burris makes some affordable rings such as the zee rings.

http://www.burrisoptics.com/rings.html

I have used the zee rings on some hunting rifles and they have held up.
    Even though you mentioned eye issues, the 18power seems a bit much for 50 yards unless the Leupold has an AO...which I just saw on Leupolds site that the scope does have an AO, so you are good to go.

(Lancaster County)

I have low rings now. The scope is not touching the rifle barrel. Do you think that maybe when I pull the trigger, that my scope is somehow touching the rifle and that is why the scope moves forward in the rings?

What rings do you currently have on your rifle? If it's ultra cheap rings, the allen screws might not be securing the rings. Properly intsalled rings will not come loose, nor should the rings from the ring base. Some people like to use Blue Locktite on the allen screws when they install a scope. I don't use it because I have a tendency to swap scopes out pretty often.

I just think that if the screws on the scope are checked, you will find that they are loose and that is why your scope is moving.

Where in Lancaster Co do you live? I could meet you somewhere and take a look at your set up. I could head to Lancaster Co. via rt 23...perhaps meet at Shady Maples or somewhere near there...let me know.

(Lancaster County)

Thanks for the kind offer. I may take you up on that. I think the rings I have are called cross-bar type, or something like that. I am finding that no matter how I tighten them, the scope still moves around in the rings (moves forward) when the rifle is fired a bunch of times. Ultimately, the magnification power adjustment ring gets jammed up onto the rear scope mounting ring and then I can't adjust it anymore. I thought about putting a wrap of black electrical tape around the scope in the area where the rings grip the scope. Then the tightened rings would have something soft to grab onto and compress. I thought about using duct tape, because it is even softer, but the glue on duct tape is so heat-unstable that I thought the tape itself would slip around too much as the rifle warms up from being fired. I am looking at those Burris rings, and I will probably call them and see if they think their rings will fix my problem.

The rings you currently have sound pretty cheap. Good rings will not allow any movement. I have a feeling that the rings aren't to any specs that we use in the US.

As you stated in your comments...tape won't do the job for you with the summer heat/humidity. You will ruin the rings and scope with the adhesive. I had a bunch of rings, but I threw them out because I don't like rings that are mounted from the side.

I'd go with Burris or Weaver rings and that would resolve your scope issue.

(Bucks County)

if the scope is moving in the rings the rings need to be lapped. You have to take out the high spots. Lapping should be done on all rings. It makes for a better job. If the scope is moving due to ring movement, by all means get a better set of rings.
    Jeff
    NRA Benefactor member
    NRA 2nd Amendment Foundation
    Colt Collectors Association
    Browning Collectors Association
    Sharps Arms Collectors Association
    SASS Association

SANS PEUR et SANS REPROACHE

(Lancaster County)

What is lapping????

(Bucks County)

Lapping is the polishing and leveling of the inside of the rings. Use special lapping compounds of very fine grit with lapping bars. Really makes a difference. The compounds and bars can be purchased from Brownells, Midway, etc.
    Jeff
    NRA Benefactor member
    NRA 2nd Amendment Foundation
    Colt Collectors Association
    Browning Collectors Association
    Sharps Arms Collectors Association
    SASS Association

SANS PEUR et SANS REPROACHE

Why would you need to lap cheap rings? To me it would be more cost affective to just buy better rings. By the time he buys everything to lap the rings, he would have been better off just replacing the rings.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast