Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default How long do you carry your carry ammo?

How long do you keep your carry ammo loaded up before you retire it at the range? I mean do you carry it for a year, then stash it with the rest of the ammo and buy new carry ammo, or do you just expend it?

This was something I was thinking about earlier today. I carry two types of hollow points and I've had them loaded in their respective mags since I received my LTCF a year ago. If it's wise to purchase new ammo after a set amount of time, this would be a good time to buy some other HP's and see what functions best in my gun.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Monroe County)

Default Re: How long do you carry your carry ammo?

I usually use up my ammo once a year. Every second qualification at work all my ammo gets used up for my duty gun as well as my off duty stuff. It just keeps me on a schedule that way.

AJ

(Cumberland County)

about a year or so then if money permits i like to change it out.

(Allegheny County)

Every time you unload into a bad guy? jk...

This is a great question, though. Some will say that it's important to "cycle" out you carry ammo every 6mo to 1yr. I basically abide by that mantra just for peace of mind, but it's not scientific at all.

I'd surmise that the most important factor is HOW you carry. If you're OCing on a ship and constantly being sprayed with salt water, maybe every week is a good time to cycle out your ammo. If you live in AZ and OC, maybe every couple of years. Environment is important.

In keeping with environment, I CC 99% of the time either IWB strong-side or IWB SOB. And... I get SWEATY. Human sweat is decently destructive to metals and more importantly polymer seals on casings/primers/etc (over time). So, I feel comfortable with the 6mo - 1yr time frame. However, if I've been thrown in a pool or had to walk 10mi after breaking down... I might just cycle the ammo... But, mostly for peace of mind.

Some will say, as I can honestly as well, that they have .30-06 ball surplus from the 40s that fires flawlessly. This is quite common. But, if you carry a weapon for self defense, you probably already have the mindset that you like to "Be Prepared". So, why not switch out the ammo more often?? At least for statistic's sake...

Plus, switching out my carry ammo on a regular basis has allowed me to shoot a great deal of the more expensive and different carry ammo out there for sale. Also, I downgrade my carry ammo in stages after I switch it out....
    I carry 1 backup mag, so I swap both the 12+1 .40s&w Hydra-Shoks and the other 12 in the back up at a time. I move these rounds down (in priority) to other mags I have in the car and in the house (strategically placed [yet hidden] - for the hell of it). Then, step-down #3 is to the cheapo 22rd ProMags I have which never feed well.

But, it's all about priority and statistics... If I NEED the 22rd ProMags with 2yr old ammo, then I've already went through 200+ rounds and that likely isn't "self defense". Unless I'm defending against Chinese soldiers invading or Zombies. (and I probably should've fought my way to a long gun well before that) <-- different argument tho...
    Last edited by ScaredOnce; June 3rd, 2009 at 09:08 PM. Reason: piece != peace. I hate inadvertant homonym typos! i hate myself! haha
    F*S=k

(Jefferson County)

I never "cycle" my carry ammo.

Hell, I have a hard time letting go of even range ammo.. Its like they are my little babies. Such cute little things..

well, being i have two mags of the "banned" 9mm armor piercing bullet proof vest penetrating ammo, i would say......im keeping it until i need it.
    FJB

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    well, being i have two mags of the "banned" 9mm armor piercing bullet proof vest penetrating ammo, i would say......im keeping it until i need it.
    I'm assuming you're being sarcastic and you really mean hollow points lol. Really though I haven't seen any shortage of hollow point on the shelves at the gun shops, but then again I haven't been looking for hollow points.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Northumberland County)

i bought IMI 9mm bullets form Israel they ar elike over 10 years old they fire flawlessly.. u can keep your carry ammo in years it should still fire...as long as its not wet or rusted near the primer.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by jcabin View Post
    I'm assuming you're being sarcastic and you really mean hollow points lol. Really though I haven't seen any shortage of hollow point on the shelves at the gun shops, but then again I haven't been looking for hollow points.
    He is talking about Black Talons.

Yes its a hollowpoint that CNN thought was scary looking. . . .

I am thinking once a year will be good.

I have heard (I have no idea if it's true) that ammo carried on your person close to the body could get affected by the constant yet very mild moisture (i.e. sweat) it is exposed to during day to day carry.

Makes sense. Not sure if it has any merit, but for the hell of it I will change out every 6mo-year
    Last edited by biggs88; June 3rd, 2009 at 09:25 PM.

That depends on how much I shoot my carry gun at the range. When I get to the range, I pull the magazine of carry ammo out of the pistol, leave the +1 in the pipe, and load up one of my range mags with target rounds. The first round for each range session with my carry gun is, therefore, a defense round. A very, very few times a year, I'll actually shoot an entire magazine of defense rounds as part of my range trip. I'd say I go through a box of defense rounds every 6-9 months.

That's the long answer. The sound bite answer is, "No more than six months and quite likely far less."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast