Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lawrence County)

Default All you mechanics who love to troubleshoot....

Ok, so first of all let me say that I changed batteries in my srt 4 to the optima red top. (the smaller of the two.) When I did this, I had to straighten out the terminal wire from the 90 degree angle to more of a 20 degree angle. (don't know if this is the root of the problem, but now you know.)

I've been running the new Optima for about 200 miles now, and now all of a sudden, the car every once in a while, will not start, it acted like it was a dead battery. First time this happened, I opened the hood, lifted the red plastic positive cover, and the car kicked on electrically. I closed the hood, started the car, and drove it for another day. Went out the next day, tried to start it, and the same thing. (no lights, nothing.) So I popped the hood, and the lights and everything came on. ???????? The thing I noticed though THIS TIME was that when I started driving it, the brake warning light and the ABS warning light came on, and have been on ever since.

I checked the battery, when the car is running it's pushing 13.7 volts. off, it's 12 volts.

Any ideas, number one on why the battery is acting like this? and number two, why those warning lights came on?
    "Do not use K-9 advantix on cats"

Default Re: All you mechanics who love to troubleshoot....

Sounds like an intermittent contact. Are you sure the battery posts are the right size? I bought a new battery at costco once that had a post that was actually a little too small for the clamp in my car. If the post is too small for the clamp, it will intermittently break the contact.

You may also have broken some/all of the strands in the lead-in. A cable that is constantly subjected to temperature cycling will become brittle, so when you tried to straighten it out, you may have broken it.

I'd suggest just replacing the lead-in and clamp, and make sure everything is sized correctly.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bmarshall91 View Post
    Ok, so first of all let me say that I changed batteries in my srt 4 to the optima red top. (the smaller of the two.) When I did this, I had to straighten out the terminal wire from the 90 degree angle to more of a 20 degree angle. (don't know if this is the root of the problem, but now you know.)

I've been running the new Optima for about 200 miles now, and now all of a sudden, the car every once in a while, will not start, it acted like it was a dead battery. First time this happened, I opened the hood, lifted the red plastic positive cover, and the car kicked on electrically. I closed the hood, started the car, and drove it for another day. Went out the next day, tried to start it, and the same thing. (no lights, nothing.) So I popped the hood, and the lights and everything came on. ???????? The thing I noticed though THIS TIME was that when I started driving it, the brake warning light and the ABS warning light came on, and have been on ever since.

I checked the battery, when the car is running it's pushing 13.7 volts. off, it's 12 volts.

Any ideas, number one on why the battery is acting like this? and number two, why those warning lights came on?
    My guess (and I have seen this before) is that your warning lights came on because of your electrical troubles, especially if there was a low voltage condition.

Your problem could be corroded battery terminals (make sure they are clean), but I'm wondering if you have an intermittent connection where the terminal is connected to the battery wire. Or...there is a problem internally to the battery.

You could try to tap on the battery posts lightly while watching your lights. It may help to pinpoint the exact location of the problem by turning on your headlights and listening for crackling noises while you bump things around the battery connections.

Keep in mind that there's always a possiblilty of that battery exploding if there is an internal problem, and tapping while listening for arcing may be dangerous.

If you have any doubts as far as the safety of poking around, let a qualified mechanic take a look at it.

(Lawrence County)

That's what I thought too... (about the size thing) and the cable lead in to the battery is solid metal, no bending of wire at all... the wire connects to the 90 angle then the 90 connects to the battery. I'm still going to replace the wire... it looks like the ground will need replaced as well.

The thing i don't get though is it ran fine for 200 miles. (does the cold have anything to do with it? I know when metal gets cold it shrinks.... is this what's happening?)

hopefully it's not an internal battery issue! that f^cker is expensive! haha. Looks like I'll be spending my day off tomarrow under my car! yippie! haha. Like it isn't already BALLS cold outside! Anyone in the New Castle area wanna help a fellow pafoa'er out? hahaha.
    Last edited by Bmarshall91; December 28th, 2009 at 11:08 AM.

(Montgomery County)

First time this happened, I opened the hood, lifted the red plastic positive cover, and the car kicked on electrically. I closed the hood, started the car, and drove it for another day. Went out the next day, tried to start it, and the same thing. (no lights, nothing.) So I popped the hood, and the lights and everything came on. ????????
    Sounds like a short or a bad/loose connection. Are your battery terminals/cable lugs clean?
    You mentioned bending the wire 90°. Did you crack the cable? If you think this may have happened, cut open the insulation and check (wrap up with electrical tape afterwards.)

The thing I noticed though THIS TIME was that when I started driving it, the brake warning light and the ABS warning light came on, and have been on ever since.
    Could be a short or could be a bad battery. More likely a short, given that opening the hood made your lights came on. Shorts can cause warning lights to come on. And I've seen cruddy terminals cause warning lights to come on as well.

This is normal. Alternators charge the battery at 14v.
    The right to bear arms isn't for hunting bear. Subliminal Messages

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by tlgpa View Post
    This is normal. Alternators charge the battery at 14v.
    right. which is why i put that in there... figured it was normal why is there a problem.. after reading, my fears were confirmed. haha. I have to get under my car tomarrow! yeah! haha. (cause my starter is under my intake manifold....)

(Lehigh County)

right. which is why i put that in there... figured it was normal why is there a problem.. after reading, my fears were confirmed. haha. I have to get under my car tomarrow! yeah! haha. (cause my starter is under my intake manifold....)
    You may want to check around the battery terminals first. It could save you a trip under the intake.

(Lawrence County)

the terminals are clean, and when i pushed on the ground terminal, it moved.... (damnit) so I'm pretty sure the terminals are too small on the battery... gotta get new ones.

(Montgomery County)

the terminals are clean, and when i pushed on the ground terminal, it moved.... (damnit) so I'm pretty sure the terminals are too small on the battery... gotta get new ones.
    There you go. Most likely your problem. The terminal posts are tapered. So if they're loose, they'll slide up the taper and get looser over time, like 200 miles.
    The right to bear arms isn't for hunting bear. Subliminal Messages

Sounds like your alternator is fine. The ABS light probably has to do with a bad connection. Check and re-check the connection at the terminals. It sounds like something loosened up.
    Did you check the battery with the meter and check for any draw?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast