Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: 686-5

(Delaware County)

Default 686-5

I picked this up the other day. When I first looked at it, it was filthy and wouldn't seat .357's in some of the chambers without persuasion. There had been a lot of .38's through it and not a lot of cleaning going on. The more I looked at it, the more I was convinced it had hidden potential. I took it home and after using a brass brush, lots of hoppes, simichrome polish and a lot of elbow grease, It came out like this. The stock grips feel thin in my hand and I'll replace them with something a little chunkier when I find the right ones. Any suggestions from you folks is appreciated.

(Bedford County)

Default Re: 686-5

Sure got a right perty gun there! Obviously you got it used, can I ask how much you paid fer it? I am looking myself for a used beauty myself. Nice pics.

(Dauphin County)

Very nice...
    Love them Smith...

(Delaware County)

Nice clean up job on that revolver! The 4 inch red ramp is a real classic.

For me, the Hogue Monogrips are good on an N frame, but I like Pachmayr Grippers on an L frame. Not sure whether they're what you want though... they are narrower, but deeper between the back strap and the finger grooves. They position the trigger finger well for me and my hand just falls onto them for the draw. If wider side to side is what you want, perhaps a set of the old S&W Goncalo Alves Target grips would serve you. Picture of my 686+ with the Pachmayr Grippers:

and a pic from the web of a 68 wearing the S&W Targets:

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Chunky Monkey View Post
    Sure got a right perty gun there! Obviously you got it used, can I ask how much you paid fer it? I am looking myself for a used beauty myself. Nice pics.
    I paid $450 for it. It was sitting next to a new model listed at $650. I think I done good.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    Nice clean up job on that revolver! The 4 inch red ramp is a real classic.

perhaps a set of the old S&W Goncalo Alves Target grips would serve you.
    Shooter...Thanks for sayin that. I think it really came up nice. I'll be calling S&W this week to see if they have a set of target grips in stock. The stock rubber grips are just too thin in my hand and I need something a little more substantial. Maybe a set of Ahrends or Excalibers. Beautiful guns and nice pics BTW.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by glassman View Post
    I paid $450 for it. It was sitting next to a new model listed at $650. I think I done good.
    Good deal...

(Bedford County)

I'd say. I just need to be patient, I'll find a deal sooner or later! Enjoy!

(Delaware County)

Shooter...Thanks for sayin that. I think it really came up nice. I'll be calling S&W this week to see if they have a set of target grips in stock. The stock rubber grips are just too thin in my hand and I need something a little more substantial. Maybe a set of Ahrends or Excalibers. Beautiful guns and nice pics BTW.
    I think the Ahrends are about the same as the Hogue grips you already have on the gun. Not familiar with the Excalibur grips. I've seen some decent copies of the S&W Targets, but can't remember who makes them... Herrett maybe?

Only the first pic is mine... the other one is a search off the net to show the S&W stocks. Appreciate the kind words though.

(Delaware County)

I think I found them on 'grips4guns'. Excaliber checkered rosewood in a conversion from round to square butt. I had a set on my python and liked them. I'll post a pic when I get them.

http://www.grips4guns.com/revolver/s...m_1714009.html