Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (York County)

Default advice on training son on pistol

So my son shoots .22 rifle competitively, but that's literally all he's ever shot: single-shot bolt action .22 target rifle in prone position... Basically no recoil and virtually no noise with hearing protection.

Now he's indicated interest in learning pistol, not 'target' or competitive, but more just "me and you go to the range" stuff. Hey cool! Bonding time. I dig.

So I took him to the range and started him with my 9mm's. Had him try the HK VP9, LCS9 and M&P Shield. Mostly stuck to VP9 since it's less "recoily" than the littler ones.

He's 13, and already decent-sized (~5'9") so his hand size/grip isn't a problem, but he's very flinchy about the noise and recoil. Worked with him through a few magazines, and got better, but he's still flinching. He can get all his rounds onto a 12x24 silhouette target at about 15', but barely... Ran it out to 25' at the end and he was 50/50 even hitting the paper. Lotsa low and right, as he 'jerks' the trigger and/or anticipates the shot.

Did some dry-fire with him focusing on the gun not moving as the trigger 'clicked'... he did okay. OTOH, he -knew- it was unloaded, so didn't flinch. Soon as I reloaded, back to the flinch.

Also tried turning on the laser for some 'confidence builder' shots, and he did much better then. He could SEE the dot drop and go right as he pulled. With that he could correct and got all shots at least inside the 6 ring. Did read some advice on 'curing flinch' for next trip.

But my question is this: Should I get him something smaller caliber with less noise and recoil to start? If so what? I could go .22, but almost prefer to push it to -something- with a little more 'kick' for him to get used to it. Or do I just keep at it with the 9mm until he gets used to it?

FWIW, my pistol 'training' was my mostly-sauced father & grandfather throwing beer cans out into a field at the family farm, handing me an old luger and saying "shoot the cans, avoid the cows"... But I don't recall ever being quite so "gun shy" (literally) as my son.

Thoughts, advice & experience welcome...
    DGAF

(Juniata County)

Default Re: advice on training son on pistol

The bang is something he just has to get over. Maybe a larger rifle, or a pistol caliber rifle? You could grab a cheap highpoint carbine and then throw it in the trash when you're done.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Allegheny County)

The VP9 was my first handgun, but I didn't really start getting good at handguns until I got a PPQ .22 and put more rounds downrange than I could ever afford with 9mm. I also did a lot of dry firing, and still do, especially as I'm trying to master DA/SA.

Also try to mix in snap caps into each magazine with live rounds. That way, he won't know that the gun is unloaded. He'll either stop anticipating, or he'll see how much he's flinching once he hits a snap cap.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by PAMedic=F|A= View Post
    The bang is something he just has to get over. Maybe a larger rifle, or a pistol caliber rifle? You could grab a cheap highpoint carbine and then throw it in the trash when you're done.
    Would the AR do for that? Could 'acclimate' him on that first, where he's at least got a stock on his shoulder like he's used to. But it's pretty 'kicky' too...
    DGAF

(Lycoming County)

.22 pistol would be a good idea. They can be had cheaply enough and it isn't expensive to put a lot of rounds down range either. I almost always start out new shooters on a .22, even adults. It builds confidence and helps keep people from flinching.

The snap cap idea is good too. Possibly consider a revolver. You can load all but one or two chambers and have the same effect, but not have to deal with cycling the action on the cap.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by R L Suehr View Post
    .22 pistol would be a good idea. They can be had cheaply enough and it isn't expensive to put a lot of rounds down range either. I almost always start out new shooters on a .22, even adults. It builds confidence and helps keep people from flinching.

The snap cap idea is good too. Possibly consider a revolver. You can load all but one or two chambers and have the same effect, but not have to deal with cycling the action on the cap.
    Thanks, R L. It's definitely top of mind to go to a .22 pistol and build from there.

I think the snap cap / ball-and-dummy thing has merit too. But I see that as more short-term just to 'expose' what's going on to him better: to 'see' his flinch more clearly.
    DGAF

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by TooBigToFit View Post
    The VP9 was my first handgun, but I didn't really start getting good at handguns until I got a PPQ .22 and put more rounds downrange than I could ever afford with 9mm. I also did a lot of dry firing, and still do, especially as I'm trying to master DA/SA.

Also try to mix in snap caps into each magazine with live rounds. That way, he won't know that the gun is unloaded. He'll either stop anticipating, or he'll see how much he's flinching once he hits a snap cap.
    Funny how things work. After a years-long hiatus from handgun ownership, my re-entry were smaller 9mm's (LC9, M&P Shield). I only "got good again" after adding the VP9.

Though I certainly understand the cost-factor with .22 too. My personal situation is such that I'm okay with blowing off my typical 200 rounds a week of 9mm range ammo at average cost of $0.20 a round. But I'm never averse to saving money!
    DGAF

(Centre County)

I would also second the starting him out with a .22. I would actually recommend a .22 revolver, double action would be preferable, that way he could learn both single action shooting and then progress to double action, but a single action would work also. With a revolver, you could load it for him, not letting him see you do it and put several already fired cases in. That way, he doesn't know when a round will go off or not and as such he has to perform the same sighting and trigger pull routine each time. When the empty happens you'll see if he flinches or not and so will he. Embarrassment about the flinch, if it happens, is a strong message/motivater to remember all the steps on firing a handgun.

Also, have him grip the gun (empty), whichever one it is, and see where he is placing his trigger finger. From shooting .22 competition rifles, I'll bet he is placing the ball of his finger on the trigger because those rifles don't need much pressure to release the hammer. If he is doing this with a handgun, his shots can go all over the place.

Have fun, take your time and if he starts to get frustrated, take a break and take about what is happening and what he needs to do to correct it, don't force him. Range time, instruction and lots of rounds makes a person a better shooter.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    I would also second the starting him out with a .22. I would actually recommend a .22 revolver, double action would be preferable, that way he could learn both single action shooting and then progress to double action, but a single action would work also. With a revolver, you could load it for him, not letting him see you do it and put several already fired cases in. That way, he doesn't know when a round will go off or not and as such he has to perform the same sighting and trigger pull routine each time. When the empty happens you'll see if he flinches or not and so will he. Embarrassment about the flinch, if it happens, is a strong message/motivater to remember all the steps on firing a handgun.

Also, have him grip the gun (empty), whichever one it is, and see where he is placing his trigger finger. From shooting .22 competition rifles, I'll bet he is placing the ball of his finger on the trigger because those rifles don't need much pressure to release the hammer. If he is doing this with a handgun, his shots can go all over the place.

Have fun, take your time and if he starts to get frustrated, take a break and take about what is happening and what he needs to do to correct it, don't force him. Range time, instruction and lots of rounds makes a person a better shooter.
    Thanks, Xringshooter. Good advice I'll consider. I haven't made up my mind yet, but leaning more toward getting him a .22 pistol.
    DGAF

(Delaware County)

I think the idea of a .22 revolver is probably the best answer. Another possibility is a full sized revolver in .38 special. Shooting semi-wad cutters is very manageable and he will be a lot closer to full power 9mm rounds. When I first started I had to teach myself. I found that I had a bad flinch, most likely brought on by the p...k who brought me to the range the first time and had me shoot full bore .357 out of a Lady Smith. I also had trouble with 9mm. When I bought a model 10 I praticed with smc loads and was able to tame the flinch. Still a nice bang and some flash but much calmer than the other things I had been shooting.

Either way good going Dad and I bet it made your day when he asked to take the next step.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast