Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    (York County)

Default What's your 'buy it now' price for ammo?

What 'percent of regular retail price' induces you to run buy some?

Example: I regularly buy Blazer Brass 9mm 115 FMJ for range use. It's normally $14.99/box full retail. You can usually find it online for ~$11 a box, but will pay $2-3/box shipping unless you buy 1,000 rounds plus. So when it goes on sale in the store for $10.49 (30% off), I buy as many boxes as I can comfortably afford at that time.

So for me... the answer is 30% off MSRP for new-in-box from a retailer. For private party sale, if it's "NIB", it's more like 50% off regular retail for me to take note. Just 'cuz I figure there should be some offset for I can't be sure how old it is, how it's been stored, etc.

Similar for 5.56 ammo. I tend to open the wallet when it's ~30% off regular retail (net).

Any thoughts on where others fall?

(And no, I'm won't be selling any in the classifieds... just curious)
    DGAF

(Delaware County)

Default Re: What's your 'buy it now' price for ammo?

Quote Originally Posted by KCJones View Post

Example: I regularly buy Blazer Brass 9mm 115 FMJ for range use. It's normally $14.99/box full retail. You can usually find it online for ~$11 a box, but will pay $2-3/box shipping unless you buy 1,000 rounds plus. So when it goes on sale in the store for $10.49 (30% off), I buy as many boxes as I can comfortably afford at that time.

So for me... the answer is 30% off MSRP for new-in-box from a retailer. For private party sale, if it's "NIB", it's more like 50% off regular retail for me to take note. Just 'cuz I figure there should be some offset for I can't be sure how old it is, how it's been stored, etc.

Similar for 5.56 ammo. I tend to open the wallet when it's ~30% off regular retail (net).

Ironically, I am pretty much the same way. Except for 5.56. I dont mind paying a little more for the good stuff.
    Don’t like me ???? Tough, I don’t give a flying f@@k about ya.

(Tioga County)

I almost never buy retail in a store. I aggressively shop sales and buy in bulk. A lot of it is keeping your powder dry as really great deals might only come about a few times of the year.

Probably when I do buy in a store it would be a single box or two of something I just want to try out.

(Allegheny County)

Ten bucks a box for 9mm and I'm the same - I buy as much as I can. Which really amounts to about 4 boxes.

I can't afford bulk ammo. I have to pay more to get less. Such is life.

And I'd never let my ammo go for half of what I paid. Fuck that. I'll discount it, but for chrissake, you're already getting it without paying tax or shipping.
    I'm not giving it away.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Lehigh County)

I reload and don't buy much new but I am getting my first 1911 and drove to Cabelas in Hamburg to get a few hundred rounds of PMC Bronze, normal price $22.99, for $19.99 to get started. I normally wait for 15% off of reloading supplies to buy them.

BTW at the checkout stand the lady asked me if I was a vet. I thought they were running some kind of special but she said that they were giving 5% off year round. I didn't know they did that. I showed her the flag on my DL and she said that was enough proof.
    NRA Life Member

(Allegheny County)

I don't look at "regular price" vs "sales price". I just look at the price it is now being sold for. If I find that price attractive, and I have the money sitting around, then I will buy 5000 rounds.

Process repeats until I have a net gain of 15,000 rounds for the year, and then I will wait until the next year.

I only buy 7.62x39, 9mm and (rarely) .22, which doesn't count toward my round purchase limit.
    Last edited by free; January 3rd, 2017 at 01:14 PM.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by KCJones View Post

I picked up 1,000 rounds of 5.56/223 (don't recall which) to feed my new ARs the weekend before the election. I was at Cabelas in Christiana, DE (since I was driving by), and they have a standing 5% Veteran's discount. Might not have been the best price, but it's gonna last me quite a while. It was marked either $420 or $430.

For my .45 components I generally look to restock when I break open my last jar (lb of powder), box (1000 primers), or bag (500 boolits). That gives me time to shop for good prices without needing to worry about "buy it now". My last buys were 2-3 lbs powder, 4000 primers, and 3000 bullets (I shoot about 500/month), so I don't have to restock *too* often...

CCI 5201 1000rnd case: $185 shipped. I'd buy 5 at that price right now.

I generally look at the price per round and not any particular percentage of a retail price.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
    I almost never buy retail in a store. I aggressively shop sales and buy in bulk. A lot of it is keeping your powder dry as really great deals might only come about a few times of the year.

Probably when I do buy in a store it would be a single box or two of something I just want to try out.
    I rarely buy in-store either. It just happens that the one near me tends to put my ammo of choice on sale for a near-unbeatable price several times a year, so I stock up.

Buying in bulk (for brass 9mm range ammo) has never proved enough savings over that to worry about it. For each caliber I shoot, I keep a few thousand 'backstock' rounds at all times, plus a thousand more 'active' which I draw from for regular shooting. So it's easier for me to buy a few hundred every so often, put them in the 'backstock' and move some of the backup to the 'active' to replenish. I find it easier than working in 1,000-round chunks anyway. But I would if the savings merited it. YMMV, of course, I'm really talking about one brand of one type.
    DGAF

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast