Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Lethal Force Question?

As im reading through the pages regarding the use of lethal force in a HD situation a rather "Unique" question came to me. Is it legal to use a Bow & Arrow for HD? Is their any reports on people doing this and using it on an intruder? If so what happened to the victim/Criminal. Thanks Everyone!!!
    Dont Forget To Give Me Some Good Rep! Thanks!

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Lethal Force Question?

You should probably consider asking an indian that question.

But seriously, I would think you should be able to defend yourself with whatever you have handy, whether it be a bow, quarterstaff or hatchet.

Of course, I can't really foresee people walking down the street with a quiver and a long bow.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Montgomery County)

I am guessing that you do not have much experience shooting a bow, because you called it a "bow and arrow." If one were to compare a bow to a modern pistol or revolver for effectiveness in a defense situation the answer would be clear, do not use a bow. Bows are slow to shoot, have long draw lengths (the arrows I shoot are about 28.5 inches long) which make them hard to use indoors and it is hard to carry a reasonable amount of spare "ammo."

The only reasonable reason to seek such a weapon for defense (which is still a bad idea) would be for a convicted felon who cannot possess firearms. However, the rules governing the use of lethal force are the same whether one is using an FN SCAR, a Smith and Wesson Performance Center 8 shot .357 mag revolver, a 1989 Chevrolet Caprice Classic rolling on dubs, a bow or a cricket bat.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

Quote Originally Posted by BandanaBandit1 View Post
    As im reading through the pages regarding the use of lethal force in a HD situation a rather "Unique" question came to me. Is it legal to use a Bow & Arrow for HD? Is their any reports on people doing this and using it on an intruder? If so what happened to the victim/Criminal. Thanks Everyone!!!
    Yes, it's legal as is anything you can get your hands on to defend yourself. But no matter what you use, it better be justified or there will be hell to pay. I know of no cases where a bow has been used (Indians not withstanding). As previously mentioned, not an optimal weapon for such purposes, but it beats a wet towel.

But I do recall Rambo had success with a bow. But for pure ratios, the Indians did not.
    When the SHTF......be the fan.

(Monroe County)

Use whatever you want, club, gun, bow, sight of me naked in the pale moonlight. They are all legal means even if some are cruel.