Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default tumbler... i'm an idiot

so i wasn't paying attention when i ordered my tumbler. I got a euro powered one... is there an adapter i can buy to use it? I opened it and set everything on the bench the day i got it. Threw everything away. week later i go to set it up to get it ready and realized my mistake....

I know there are adapters...but they are usually for small things, cell phones hair dryers.... is there something for a motor on a tumbler?

(Columbia County)

Default Re: tumbler... i'm an idiot

Don't get a small adaptor for electric razors, etc. They'll burn out very quickly on anything that's big or meant to run a long time. What you need is a step-down transformer. They can be found online, here's one website I found when I googled 220v transformer:

http://www.dvdoverseas.com/voltage_converters.htm

Of course, you can google it yourself and find plenty of places that sell them. If you want to buy one locally, ask an electrician or a travel agent, they should be able to point you in the right direction. Before you buy a transformer, check the wattage on the tumbler and ensure you buy a transformer with an equal or greater wattage rating, otherwise it's gonna trip the fuse or breaker (depending on how much you pay for it) in the transformer.

Don't feel too bad. I've ruined many electrical devices overseas when I forgot about the voltage, including a $200 set of boss portable speakers.

(Mifflin County)

Actully he's going to want a step-up, not step down. Might just be easier to send the tumbler back for an exchange.

(Columbia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Keystone.45 View Post
    Actully he's going to want a step-up, not step down. Might just be easier to send the tumbler back for an exchange.
    Good catch. You're right, a step-up transformer. Thanks. I owe you rep when I can give it out again.

(Bucks County)

Is it 50 hz or 60 hz 220 ?

For something that runs constantly, I prefer to run it on a 220 circuit. I'm cheap.
    "Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American" Pennsylvania Gazette, February 20, 1788
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

(Franklin County)

I was going to say I have one I can give you but then I remember it goes the other way..

Sorry bout that.

(Mifflin County)

Ah, I just thought of an easy solution. Go to your hardware store and get a field-wirable style plug (like the kind of thing you'd get to replace the male end of an extension cord) that fits the 240V receptacle for your dryer. Cut the euro-plug off the end of your tumbler cord and wire the dryer plug on. Only catch is you'll have to unplug your dryer to polish your brass.

Have someone who's qualified to do electrical work assist you if you don't know what you're doing.

Ah, I just thought of an easy solution. Go to your hardware store and get a field-wirable style plug (like the kind of thing you'd get to replace the male end of an extension cord) that fits the 240V receptacle for your dryer. Cut the euro-plug off the end of your tumbler cord and wire the dryer plug on. Only catch is you'll have to unplug your dryer to polish your brass.

Have someone who's qualified to do electrical work assist you if you don't know what you're doing.
    yes this could be a good fix, or you could add a 220 circuit as well designated for it but you would still want to change the plug end to American style 220V
    GET THE NET !!!

(Allegheny County)

yep, easiest solution i think.

Quote Originally Posted by Smalls View Post
    I was going to say I have one I can give you but then I remember it goes the other way..

Sorry bout that.
    Turn it around - 110V in : 220V out. It won't know the difference.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast