Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lebanon County)

Default How does a car IN PARK still MOVE?

So I took my daughter to school this morning. Came back and parked the van in behind another vehicle (which is what my husband drives to and from work). Now our van isn't driven that often so there is still some snow/ice from the last snow we had around the area where it's parked but I was able to get it back in the spot where it was originally; just not back any further. No matter. Plenty of room. At least 2-3 yards or so between them.

I look out the window a little while later and I think to myself "damn, that van sure looks like it's pulled up further then I remember." I figure it must just be me and I shrug and walk away.

A little while later I look out again and HOLY CRAP IT IS SMACK UP AGAINST THE VEHICLE IN FRONT OF IT!!!

My husband took my son to the testing site for PSSAs today so I called him and told him. Didn't want him thinking I hit it and just didn't want to tell him and he says "go out and make sure you put it in park." I told him I was sure I couldn't have pulled my keys out if it wasn't in park but I looked anyway. Yep, it's definitely in park!

Now because of the snow or whatever is under the tires now that it moved I could not back it up because they just spin. I stopped trying because it was rocking back and forth and I didn't want that pressure to damage the vehicle in front of it.

So how in the hell did it move in the first place???

It is causing a scene. I noticed a man walk completely out of his way while walking his dog so he could come up the street and look at the two vehicles smack up against each other. His expression was a mixture of shock and confusion. Since then I have seen at least 4 other people walking their dogs pause and look as well. (yeah, lots of dog walkers here.) I am just waiting for someone to come knocking on my door to ask "do you know that....?"

(Monroe County)

Default Re: How does a car IN PARK still MOVE?

It had to slide on the ice. Automatics have what is called a pawl in them that engages when in park. Unless that broke it can`t roll.

(Lebanon County)

So even when it's in park the wheels will still move or you mean the whole freaking thing just SLID without them ever moving??? That is some crazy sliding if it's the latter. I mean, I believe you if that's what you're telling me. I'm just still in disbelief. (this would only happen to me you know...)

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by Exbiker View Post
    It had to slide on the ice. Automatics have what is called a pawl in them that engages when in park. Unless that broke it can`t roll.
    What he said.

If the park selector was positioned in park and the lever/rod coming off the rooster-main on the valve body is not malfunctioning, and the park pin or pawl is not damaged... it had to have one of the driven tires on ice and that would allow it to slide.

(Beaver County)

It would only require one driven tire to be on ice and the car on enough angle to make it slip on the ice (That one tire).

The trans is locked. But if on ice, the diff would allow the iced tire to spin one way and the one on the good surface to spin the way the car rolled until both tires caught traction again.

(Washington County)

If the ice is slick enough that you can't get enough traction to pull the car out, then it's slick enough that the van can slide on it's own. wouldn't surprise me if the wind moved it. a van has a lot of surface area to act like a sail.

I had my 4wd blazer out in the middle of a white-out a few weeks ago. stopped on a hill, put it in park, and it slid a few inches before it stopped. I also remember seeing footage of tanks sliding sideways off an icy road in the winter. not sure where, but the footage was black and white. maybe WWII or korea.

friction can be your friend.

Vince
    www.bloomautomatic.com - Golf Ball Launchers for AR-15, SKS, FAL, and many others

www.bloomautomatic.com/lbsc - Long Branch Sportsman's Club, Long Branch, PA

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by larry0071 View Post
    It would only require one driven tire to be on ice and the car on enough angle to make it slip on the ice (That one tire).

The trans is locked. But if on ice, the diff would allow the iced tire to spin one way and the one on the good surface to spin the way the car rolled until both tires caught traction again.
    That's why you should also use your parking brake!
    Toujours prêt

(Mercer County)

My Jeep started sliding after putting it in park when we had all of that freezing rain a few weeks ago. That wasn't cool at all.

I can easily believe your car did the same if the driveway is icy and sloped.

(Lackawanna County)

that happens to my minivan, if i'm parked on an incline. a few weeks ago, it moved as i was getting out, and nearly got my leg run over.

the only answer is to get better tires, with more traction.

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post
    the only answer is to get better tires, with more traction.
    Or shovel the snow away before you park.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast