Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Beaver County)

Default When is it too much? Practical changes or not so practical?

I've been making a lot of changes to my 870 over the last month. I changed the way I mounted my light twice, took it off for a few weeks, changed the stock, converted my sling from a single point into a two point, changed the way I mount the sling probably ten times ... All I want to accomplish now is to be able to mount a practical two point sling and light without using a barrel clamp because I hate clamping things to my barrel and magazine tube. It slows down disassembly and I hate the way they look. I'm looking at a few different railed forends and when I imagine what the finish product will look like, I start to feel like I'm dangerously close to venturing into the horrific, overdone, mall ninja shotgun territory.

I want to put my TLR-1S on the forend so I need a handstop or some sort of grip to keep my thumb from slamming into the light when I fire. I'm considering an AFG but I would prefer a simple handstop. I would also have a QD sling mount on the furthest slot of the bottom rail. The stock I'm using is a Blackhawk Spec Ops NRS but I still have my traditional stock. I feel like a pump shotgun that's been around since the 50s with an AR stock and railed forend may be a bit over the top. Thoughts?

(Bucks County)

Default Re: When is it too much? Practical changes or not so practical?

Quote Originally Posted by Misery Loves Shotguns View Post
    I've been making a lot of changes to my 870 over the last month. I changed the way I mounted my light twice, took it off for a few weeks, changed the stock, converted my sling from a single point into a two point, changed the way I mount the sling probably ten times ... All I want to accomplish now is to be able to mount a practical two point sling and light without using a barrel clamp because I hate clamping things to my barrel and magazine tube. It slows down disassembly and I hate the way they look. I'm looking at a few different railed forends and when I imagine what the finish product will look like, I start to feel like I'm dangerously close to venturing into the horrific, overdone, mall ninja shotgun territory.

I want to put my TLR-1S on the forend so I need a handstop or some sort of grip to keep my thumb from slamming into the light when I fire. I'm considering an AFG but I would prefer a simple handstop. I would also have a QD sling mount on the furthest slot of the bottom rail. The stock I'm using is a Blackhawk Spec Ops NRS but I still have my traditional stock. I feel like a pump shotgun that's been around since the 50s with an AR stock and railed forend may be a bit over the top. Thoughts?
    Really the only limiting factors are quality aftermarket parts and more importantly the cash for them. Other than that, it's all good. It's not mall ninja-ish if you are grounded in reality and realize that all those extras aren't going to turn your into an "operator". Have at it.
    5.56mm, 9mm, .40SW, .44 Mag, .357 Mag, .22LR, 12GA, .45-70, 7.62x54R

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by PSUWaz00 View Post
    It's not mall ninja-ish if you are grounded in reality and realize that all those extras aren't going to turn your into an "operator". Have at it.
    What is the definition of an "Operator"?

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by CHEMICAL View Post
    What is the definition of an "Operator"?