Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Going to fly to FL from PA - questions.

Ok, I did a little research and thought I would see if anybody here has done this recently.

It looks like my PA permit is good in FL, so I want to take a couple of handguns with me. My 9mm for open/heavy duty carry (if that is legal there) and my .380 for deep concealed carry. My wife may want to take her .380 also.

I am going to be flying down and driving back.

Anybody flown with a couple of pistols recently? Anybody driven from PA to FL or vica versa with pistols? I am going to contact the airlines for regulations on flying with a pistol and I think I already know that for the driving trip back my guns must be seperated from ammo and locked in the trunk - except in states where my permit is good.

Any tips? cautions?

Is this going to be worth the hassle?
    "A free people ought to be armed." - George Washington

Default Re: Going to fly to FL from PA - questions.

DO NOT OC in FL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by fingers80002 View Post
    DO NOT OC in FL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    LOL you sound pretty certain! Thanks for the advice.
    "A free people ought to be armed." - George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Tokamak View Post
    LOL you sound pretty certain! Thanks for the advice.
    http://apps.carryconcealed.net/packn...php?ps=38&nrps[]=29&nrps[]=44&step=2&Submit=Continue+to+Plan+Your+Trip

FL is not OC friendly!!!

TX is not either, if you happen to go there.

(York County)

If I recall correctly Fl is a "2 moves" kinda place. In other words you have two seperate movements to produce your weapon. IE, open the glove box, unholster, or remove from fanny pack then unholster. I'm not certain but a co-worker in from Fl and a pretty avid gun nut. So I'll take his word. Also if Fingers says it, I'll take it as a good word, he's never done me wrong before.

As for driving across the eastern seaboard, I say its not worth the hassle of pulling over and either loading or unloading and constantly checking the regs. But its all up to you.
    3%

Quote Originally Posted by Tokamak View Post
    Ok, I did a little research and thought I would see if anybody here has done this recently.

It looks like my PA permit is good in FL, so I want to take a couple of handguns with me. My 9mm for open/heavy duty carry (if that is legal there) and my .380 for deep concealed carry. My wife may want to take her .380 also.

I am going to be flying down and driving back.

Anybody flown with a couple of pistols recently? Anybody driven from PA to FL or vica versa with pistols? I am going to contact the airlines for regulations on flying with a pistol and I think I already know that for the driving trip back my guns must be seperated from ammo and locked in the trunk - except in states where my permit is good.

Any tips? cautions?

Is this going to be worth the hassle?
    OC is not legal here in Florida. The car is covered under the castle doctrine as an extension of your home; you don't need a permit to have a gun in your car (also includes places of temporary lodging, such as a tent. the castle doctrine, that is). Your gun doesn't have to be in the trunk, but it has to be in a sealed container (purse, glove box) and out of immediate reach. Ammo has to be separate, i believe. If you have a specific question, I can try and answer it with "Florida Firearms. Law, Use & Ownership" by Jon H. Gutmacher, Esq. According to the book, you can carry a firearm open or concealed anywhere on your property.
    Last edited by ThomasJ; June 14th, 2009 at 09:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brown-Bear View Post
    If I recall correctly Fl is a "2 moves" kinda place. In other words you have two seperate movements to produce your weapon. IE, open the glove box, unholster, or remove from fanny pack then unholster. I'm not certain but a co-worker in from Fl and a pretty avid gun nut. So I'll take his word. Also if Fingers says it, I'll take it as a good word, he's never done me wrong before.

As for driving across the eastern seaboard, I say its not worth the hassle of pulling over and either loading or unloading and constantly checking the regs. But its all up to you.
    Good to see you got a free minute or two!!!!!

A Florida vehicle carry follow-up (from the aforementioned book):

"Most questions on firearms law concern where a person can legally carry a handgun in a vehicle, with or without a concealed permit, here's the short answer on what's "securely encased":

a. in a snapped holster - anywhere - loaded or unloaded
    b. in a closed console - loaded or unloaded
    c. in a closed glove compartment - loaded or unloaded
    d. in a zippered gun case - loaded or unloaded
    e. in any other type of closed container which the gun cannot be fired from until withdrawn - loaded or unloaded.

"That's the easy correct answer. If you do the above, you're legal in Florida except in certain special situations related to schools....Just because you know the law doesn't mean the police know the law."

(Jefferson County)

Flying isn't a problem. Just get a TSA approved lockable case. Make sure it is unloaded. Depending on airline, the ammo can be in the same case as the gun. The ammo will need to be in its original container or some other container that will keep it from getting loose. Do not attempt to take ammo in your carry-on luggage.

When you get to the ticket counter/baggage check-in, you will need to tell the attendant that you need to declare a firearm(dont worry, they wont get weird on you). They will put a tag on the case, you'll then be directed to have it inspected by TSA personnel. That tag will then be put in the case(so not to identify it to handlers and others that its a gun).

For your drive back, you can carry the entire way from FL to Allegheny County if you stay out of MD. EXCEPT in SC, which you will have to put it in the glovebox or console(so long as it closes). Our LTCF is good in FL, GA, NC, VA, WV on that route, but not SC.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brown-Bear View Post
    i vaguely remember it being a 3 step process (open glove box, remove holster from glovebox, unholster firearm kind of deal)

unless these have changed within the last 2 years:
    no carrying firearms anywhere alcohol beverages are served
    no carrying of firearms in Everglades National Park or Big Cyprus(unless legally hunting) if you are going to south florida

check the TSA website, they have a list of what you can bring on the plane as far as how much ammo and the process when you check in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast