Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Blair County)

Default Shooting near my house

How bout this. I am out smoking and see a getto bird circling. Then my phone blows up and it is my neighbor saying that there was just a shooting under a mile from my house and the guy is on the run. Turn on the news one dead one in critical condition. Welcome to altoona.

http://wearecentralpa.com/content/fu...news?cid=79961

Latest on Deadly Shootings in Altoona
    Reported by: Carolyn Donaldson

Monday, Apr 6, 2009 @11:30pm EST

Police have released new information about Monday's deadly shooting that started at the Subway Restaurant on 58th Street in Altoona. Police say they have the shooter in custody. He is being arraigned at this hour and is being charged with two counts of murder and other charges. Police aren't releasing his name at this time. He is accused of killing two people and wounding a third after a robbery attempt. The armed robbery happened just after five Monday night at the Subway along 58th Street. After entering through the back door, police say he shot two people inside and then ran out of the store. Subway employee Scott Garlick died from his injuries. The other employee is in critical condition and is expected to recover. The suspect then crossed 58th street toward the Howdy Ellenberger Museum apartment complex just behind the new Miracle League Field on California Avenue. There, police say the suspect shot and killed a man while he was getting his mail. His body was found by emergency crews and witnesses say they heard the gunshots. Caleb McGeary said, "I heard a couple pops from where I live and I ran down to the field and seen the guy laying on the ground. It was a surprise. It shocked me. I freaked out, I mean I had my daughter in the truck and I heard gunshots." Police say a fourth victim was next confronted by the suspect but no shots were fired. Police then arrested the suspect near the apartment complex a short time later. We have some additional information on one of the shooting victims. Scott Garlick was a well liked Hollidaysburg Area High school student who worked at Subway. He was a senior, just getting ready to graduate. He was involved in a number of sports including Soccer and Wrestling. He was part of the Altoona Career and Technology program and had recently won an award for Electronics Technology. He is remembered as a kind and courteous young man. Grief counselors will be on hand at Hollidaysburg High Tuesday.
    Last edited by jmiro; April 7th, 2009 at 06:28 AM. Reason: the link: the facts

Default Re: Shooting near my house

As the Pittsburgh, and soon national media has been trolling here, is it really a good idea that everyone posts every shooting that happens anywhere near home? We are all wearing media targets right now. Doing the leg work for the media is not in gun owners best interest.

(Allegheny County)

Lets not censor ourselves because the media might be watching. Somehow I doubt a shooting went undetected in the media until it was posted on the pafoa. Let any media that might be watching see, we dislike criminals as much as everyone else. When we let ourselves be censored, it means we were saying something wrong. If anything perhaps knowing that outside people are viewing the pafoa might mean the keyboard commandoes will calm themselves a little.

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by tail pipe todd View Post
    As the Pittsburgh, and soon national media has been trolling here, is it really a good idea that everyone posts every shooting that happens anywhere near home? We are all wearing media targets right now. Doing the leg work for the media is not in gun owners best interest.
    It's news.

We can not talk about it and it doesn't mean the media won't report on every shooting they can find.

We should conduct ourselves n the same respectfull manner we always have.

Quote Originally Posted by Montanya View Post
    Lets not censor ourselves because the media might be watching. Somehow I doubt a shooting went undetected in the media until it was posted on the pafoa. Let any media that might be watching see, we dislike criminals as much as everyone else. When we let ourselves be censored, it means we were saying something wrong. If anything perhaps knowing that outside people are viewing the pafoa might mean the keyboard commandoes will calm themselves a little.
    Its not self censoring. Its using good judgement while posting. If you get drunk one night and think it's a good idea to shoot out the ceiling fan, it's certainly not a good idea to go posting that. There is no good that comes from it. We are all under a microscope right now. The public eye is critical, we do NOT need to throw fuel on the fire some are planning on putting us in.

Image is everything... It is everything...

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Its not self censoring. Its using good judgement while posting. If you get drunk one night and think it's a good idea to shoot out the ceiling fan, it's certainly not a good idea to go posting that. There is no good that comes from it. We are all under a microscope right now. The public eye is critical, we do NOT need to throw fuel on the fire some are planning on putting us in.

Image is everything... It is everything...
    So, posting about a criminal committing criminal acts near our house hurts our image how?

If anything it shows the need for law abiding gun owners to stay valiant due to the increase in unlawful behavior lately.

Sorry, but you're off base on this one.

(Blair County)

It served as a reminder to stay vigilante. I frequent the establishments this happened at. Some times I look at things that are happening as "stereo typical" of cities and forget I could happen to anyone at any time.

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by P-11 shooter View Post
    So, posting about a criminal committing criminal acts near our house hurts our image how?

If anything it shows the need for law abiding gun owners to stay valiant due to the increase in unlawful behavior lately.

You beat me to it........Thanks for the support

...We are all wearing media targets right now. Doing the leg work for the media is not in gun owners best interest.

I think that it is important to notify other members here of something as important as a shooting near their house. Chances are, there are other members who live nearby and for safety reasons, it is good to let them know. If it was in my neighborhood, I would surely want to know so I could be on the look out for anything out of the ordinary.

If the media is reading this.......KMA!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by P-11 shooter View Post

How about this, post the details. Who was shot, who is being sought, what was the motive. Better yet, do what the newspaper in Baltimore did a few years back. Find out the criminal history of the person who was shot, its all public in Pa and available on the web. Really interesting when you can post that 85% of shooting victims have drug and violent criminal histories.

So, saying "how bout this, two shot one dead one critical" tells me nothing at all. It could have been a retiree and his wife shot while walking the dog. Or it could have been two dealers shot over a drug deal gone bad.

If we are just going to post everything we hear that comes across a scanner with any news value or research, we become a group of parrots that just repeat over and over.

So, there is the base. I'm sure I am not off it.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast