Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default New handgun owner with strange question

This may be strange, but I'm curious; my ammo cases state warnings about lead. When I load my magazines, should I take some kind of precautions?

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: New handgun owner with strange question

You probably should wash your hands after going to the range and especially before eating, as lead can accumulate in your body over time and become harmful. If you're just reloading a few magazines you probably won't get too much on you to worry about. As far as I can tell it's just a general warning, in case you weren't aware that lead was present.

Short answer: no

Long answer: Most ammunition has a copper jacket surrounding the lead core. There is no real danger when loading your magazines.

There may possibly be some concern if you are shooting indoors in an unventilated area. It is possible you may inhale some vaporized lead from either the discharge of the round, or the impact into your target.

.22 ammunition, in my experience, does merit some additional handling precautions as the bullets of many .22 brands are not covered by a layer of copper. I carry a ziplock baggie containing baby wipes to remove the lead which sometimes accumulates on my fingers from loading magazines.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

(Wayne County)

As long as you don't eat the bullets, you're pretty much safe.

Unless you're exposed to chronic, long term exposure, again, you're pretty much safe. Even folks at ranges, I believe, have methods to limit exposure (e.g., ventilation, etc.)

The CDC recently released a study on the effects of lead from hunting on people consuming game. The results were that the amount of lead in blood/tissues of people consuming game were essentially the same as a control of the general population. I believe there were some cautions for pregnant women and very young children against consumption just due to the toxicity of lead.

If, by chance, you do get a piece of game meat and find a fragment of bullet, don't eat it. The stuff is fairly toxic if ingested. However, the amounts that you will be exposed to w/ normal shooting are minute.

If you're really concerned, just wash your hands after handling ammo. (Which also removes the Hoppes gun oil flavor from french fries)
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Jefferson County)

If lead from casual contact were a problem many of us would have been dead long ago. Handling a few bullets, even unjacketed lead slugs, is not like handling plague infested corpses. Sure, lead isn't good for you, but it takes alot more that some casual handling to cause a problem.

I think those warning were put on to satisfy the idiots in CA. Kinda like the 50 or so warning labels found on a step ladder.

If it makes you feel better wash your hands, don't stick your dirty fingers in your mouth. Washing your hands after shooting is a good idea. The primers contain lead that is dispersed when fired.
    Divided we ever have been, and ever must be.Two thirds always had and will have more difficulty to struggle with the one third than with all our foreign enemies. - John Adams

(Northampton County)

[QUOTE=Sandcut;681816]As long as you don't eat the bullets, you're pretty much safe.

Unless you're exposed to chronic, long term exposure, again, you're pretty much safe. Even folks at ranges, I believe, have methods to limit exposure (e.g., ventilation, etc.)

The CDC recently released a study on the effects of lead from hunting on people consuming game. The results were that the amount of lead in blood/tissues of people consuming game were essentially the same as a control of the general population. I believe there were some cautions for pregnant women and very young children against consumption just due to the toxicity of lead.

If, by chance, you do get a piece of game meat and find a fragment of bullet, don't eat it. The stuff is fairly toxic if ingested. However, the amounts that you will be exposed to w/ normal shooting are minute.

If you're really concerned, just wash your hands after handling ammo. (Which also removes the Hoppes gun oil flavor from french fries)[/QUOTE]

It also improves the taste of a $5 Little Cesars pizza.

As for lead? How many people go fishing with lead weights and don't die from it? As long as the exposure is kept to a minimum and you're not eating lead pellets for lunch you'll be fine.

(Lackawanna County)

The biggest problem with lead would be using the handgun to propel it into your body. Lead slug at 850fps = BAD.
    "...a REPUBLIC, if you can keep it."

(Bucks County)

Thanks all for the quick response. I kind of thought what you all said, but just being sure. Thanks again.

(Butler County)

I do stained glass and sometimes use lead came and have to be careful because you can also get lead in your system from an open cut or wound. If you have a cut, keep it covered while loading you mags.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast