Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Advice on First Gun

Hello,

Maybe some of you gun experts can help me in the selection of my first gun. I want a firearm for self defense and to carry with me. The only weapons I have used are the 9MM, 12 gage shotgun, M-16, and 25MM machine gun. Obviously, I used all of those guns in the military.

With that said, I really do not know what to look for in a handgun. From what I have heard, the 9 is not the best or most accurate weapon I could choose but it is the only one I really know anything about.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Advice on First Gun

Start doing research. This is a good site for reviews of just about everything. http://www.gundirectory.com/

Go to a gun shop and handle some pistols. Get a feel for them, their weight, costs, etc... Do not take the salesman's word as gold. He's trying to make a buck.

Next you need to think about how often you're going to shoot it. Ammo costs can really kill your wallet. I bought a .45 and I love it right up until I need to buy ammo.

You also need to consider the size of the pistol. Full size, compact, etc... I carry a fullsize pistol coz it's the only one I have. It is a bit heavy but the holster I have for it is comfortable. I don't mind it at all.

If you ask 100 people which pistol is best you'll get 100 different opinions. Take the time and get what you think is best for you.
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Allegheny County)

Ooooh! Ooooh! I gotta say it before Tony does...

Glock. G19

And I must agree, it's a fine choice.
    Welcome to the forum rhino!
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by PisnNapalm View Post
    Start doing research. This is a good site for reviews of just about everything. http://www.gundirectory.com/

Go to a gun shop and handle some pistols. Get a feel for them, their weight, costs, etc... Do not take the salesman's word as gold. He's trying to make a buck.

Next you need to think about how often you're going to shoot it. Ammo costs can really kill your wallet. I bought a .45 and I love it right up until I need to buy ammo.

You also need to consider the size of the pistol. Full size, compact, etc... I carry a fullsize pistol coz it's the only one I have. It is a bit heavy but the holster I have for it is comfortable. I don't mind it at all.

If you ask 100 people which pistol is best you'll get 100 different opinions. Take the time and get what you think is best for you.
    I couldn't agree with anyone any more than I do with PisnNapalm. The bottom line is that at the end of the day you have to be comfortable with the weapon. We can all make suggestions, and they'll all be viable, but you have to take the time to find what interests you and fire as many of those weapons as you can. No firearm is going to do you one ounce of good if you don't like firing it or it is uncomfortable for you,
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

(Tioga County)

Everytime this comes up I answer the same way. go handle and fire as many pistols as you can. It will take you a while but you will find a pistol that fit you. it might even be the beretta 92F. there are others. one thing you must consider is if you intend to carry it concealed can you conceal it with your style of dress or are you willing to change that. I carry a rather large pistol a Springfield XD in .45ACP. I carry it both open and concealed or if you wish in a IWB and OWB holsters. to carry it IWB requires me to go up one size in the waist. there is a lot to consider and the final choice has got to be yours as it has to fit you not someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by rhino View Post
    Hello,

Maybe some of you gun experts can help me in the selection of my first gun. I want a firearm for self defense and to carry with me. The only weapons I have used are the 9MM, 12 gage shotgun, M-16, and 25MM machine gun. Obviously, I used all of those guns in the military.

With that said, I really do not know what to look for in a handgun. From what I have heard, the 9 is not the best or most accurate weapon I could choose but it is the only one I really know anything about.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

I agree with the gentlemen that have already posted. They have given you great advice.
    Heres another piece of advice COME TO THE SHOOT! Its close to your area. At the shoot you can try soooooo many guns. Then you can make a decision.
    The people that go to the shoot are the best in PA. They are helpful and are thrilled that you want to try their firearms. Everyone is extremely generous and knowledgeable.
    Heres the link on this forum
    http://www.pafoa.org/forum/shoots-ra...-1pm-pmsc.html
    WELCOME TO THE FORUM.

(Lawrence County)

Hey, don't be too beat on the idea of 9mm... It's not a weak cartraidge and has killed humans all over the world. A 9mm is no less accurate than any other round, it's all in the gun and the shooter. Shoot what you feel comfortable with. I like 9mm, it's what I carry. Ammo is cheaper, generally the mags hold more rounds, and it's just as efective as any other round.

A self defense handgun serves one purpose, and one purpose alone. To help you defend yourself. 9mm is a little smaller and faster (and penetrates farther) than the .45 However, the .45 has more weight behind it and puts more energy into the target. It costs more to shoot than a 9mm and holds less rounds in a mag also.

A .40 is kind of like the best of both worlds. Holds almost as many rounds as the 9mm, has energy that rivals the .45, and costs less than the .45 acp.

The choice is yours. Fondle as many guns as you can, find what feels right to you and fits your budget. Make it to a group shoot and shoot other people's guns, we all share...
    I like guns... And boobs...

Chaz will let you shoot his. Then you will run out an buy a .9mm. Thats what happened to me, Chaz made me fall in love.
    COME TO THE SHOOT

(Tioga County)

One more word of advice. go clean out a drawer or box you can use to put all the holsters in yor going to buy and decide you don't like.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Michele View Post
    I agree with the gentlemen that have already posted. They have given you great advice.
    Heres another piece of advice COME TO THE SHOOT! Its close to your area. At the shoot you can try soooooo many guns. Then you can make a decision.
    The people that go to the shoot are the best in PA. They are helpful and are thrilled that you want to try their firearms. Everyone is extremely generous and knowledgeable.
    Heres the link on this forum
    http://www.pafoa.org/forum/shoots-ra...-1pm-pmsc.html
    WELCOME TO THE FORUM.

I second this. Come to the shoot. I see you are in or near Pittsburgh so it is not far for you. The best thing to do is to shoot some and see how they feel to you.

Welcome to the forum.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast