Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Need some advice?

Well its been a LOOOOOONG time since i have been to the range and i just went last weekend. Im a new gun owner so this is the first time i got to shoot my two new guns. One is a Ruger MKIII standard .22 (fun!!) and the other a S&W M&P .45. I shot great with the .22, even hit a pop can at 50 yards! When it came to shooting the .45 you could say i was lacking. Once again it was a long time ago that i ever shot a .45 but i wasn't very acurate at all. Out of 50 rounds i put maybe 4 or 5 on the paper at about 15 yards. My question is, what tips can everyone give me to shoot better? I know that it isnt my aiming ability becuase i was right on with the .22 but i know i am shooting low with the .45. I can tell that i am anticipating the recoil which i know is bad, because i went to fire the next shot and didnt notice i was out and when i pulled the trigger, the gun went down.... Just looking for some tips on stabilizing this and firing this higher caliber better. Thanks in advance.

P.S. I am a new gun enthusiast and doing all the research that i can. I can tell that this community can be really helpful.

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Need some advice?

You can try interspersing some snap caps in with live ammo in the mag. This will allow you to see what happens when yo hit the snap cap vs. the live ammo.

It may even be how you are gripping the gun.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by normanvin View Post
    You can try interspersing some snap caps in with live ammo in the mag. This will allow you to see what happens when yo hit the snap cap vs. the live ammo.

It may even be how you are gripping the gun.
    Hmmm..... thats an idea

(Luzerne County)

I learned that little nugget here, on the forum.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Centre County)

Have a knowledgeable shooter go with you to the range. Have him (or her) stand a few feet behind you at the 4 o'clock position (for a righty) or 8 o'clock (for a lefty). That way they can see how you are standing, holding the gun, sighting the gun and what is happening when you pull the trigger. Don't just get someone that casually shoots, get someone that really knows how to shoot a handgun and knows what to look for. After observing your shooting style they should be able to notice things that you may be doing incorrectly (and may not realize that you are doing it) and then you work on them. A good coach should be able to help you out pretty quickly.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Allegheny County)

I'm looking more for verbal tips from a knowledgeable shooter.

Well I have seen this once or twice in people I was trying to help. They are fine with a small caliber weapon but give them something with some BANG and things tend to go wrong. Most often than not I see people anticipating the weapon firing and because they are anticipating it they tend to jerk the trigger, which of course then throws your aim right out the window.

Best lesson I ever had was when someone told me the 'bang' should almost surprise you. Just squeeze the trigger and ignore when the gun fires (in relation to the trigger) ... the less you think about when it is going to actually fire the more you concentrate on your aim and hand positioning.

(Allegheny County)

Great advice, i was kind of thinking the same thing. Becuase i was anticipating it and almost leaning into it i was jerking the gun down. It only makes sense to just pull the trigger and let it do its thing. I think also i maybe pulling the trigger too slow and that is why i am waiting for the bang. becuase i can feel it and know when it is about to go. Maybe the pull should be a little smoother and quicker. What do you guys think?

(Montgomery County)

Start closer and then move back to 15 yards.

Practice slow deliberate shots...do not pop your head up after each shot to see where it went.

Concentrate on a firm, but not a death grip on the weapon.

Deliberate pressure on the trigger...until it goes bang...almost like it surprised you.

Are you right or left handed?

Where are you hitting on the target...low and left (right hander) usually means anticipating the recoil.

The suggestion to have a friend load a few mags...substituting a "shap cap" or dummy round is an excellent suggestion (one I make often). When the gun does not go BANG...take a look at where your sigts are...if not on the target...then you are doing something wrong...fix it.

Once you have worked out the flinch / recoil / too much, too little finger on the trigger... start moving back... then to 15 yards (45 feet is not a close distance!) then further. While 50 and 100 yards is doable with a .45 ACP...there is quite a bit of "hold over" required, and takes a little practice...once you have worked out the mechanics.

Good luck

(Allegheny County)

practice dry fire at home.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast