Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Monroe County)

Default wrong section please delete :/

delete please, posted in wrong section.
    Last edited by jcabin; June 3rd, 2009 at 08:54 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: How long do you carry your carry ammo?

Every time you unload into a bad guy? jk...

This is a great question, though. Some will say that it's important to "cycle" out you carry ammo every 6mo to 1yr. I basically abide by that mantra just for piece of mind, but it's not scientific at all.

I'd surmise that the most important factor is HOW you carry. If you're OCing on a ship and constantly being sprayed with salt water, maybe every week is a good time to cycle out your ammo. If you live in AZ and OC, maybe every couple of years. Environment is important.

In keeping with environment, I CC 99% of the time either IWB strong-side or IWB SOB. And... I get SWEATY. Human sweat is decently destructive to metals and more importantly polymer seals on casings/primers/etc (over time). So, I feel comfortable with the 6mo - 1yr time frame. However, if I've been thrown in a pool or had to walk 10mi after breaking down... I might just cycle the ammo... But, mostly for piece of mind.

Some will say, as I can honestly as well, that they have .30-06 ball surplus from the 40s that fires flawlessly. This is quite common. But, if you carry a weapon for self defense, you probably already have the mindset that you like to "Be Prepared". So, why not switch out the ammo more often?? At least for statistic's sake...

Plus, switching out my carry ammo on a regular basis has allowed me to shoot a great deal of the more expensive and different carry ammo out there for sale. Also, I downgrade my carry ammo in stages after I switch it out....
    I carry 1 backup mag, so I swap both the 13+1 .40s&w Hydra-Shoks and the other 12 in the back up at a time. I move these rounds down (in priority) to other mags I have in the car and in the house (strategically placed [yet hidden] - for the hell of it). Then, step-down #3 is to the cheapo 22rd ProMags I have which never feed well.

But, it's all about priority and statistics... If I NEED the 22rd ProMags with 2yr old ammo, then I've already went through 200+ rounds and that likely isn't "self defense". Unless I'm defending against Chinese soldiers invading or Zombies. (and I probably should've fought my way to a long gun well before that) <-- different argument tho...
    F*S=k