Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (York County)

Default Child molestation case stuck for over a year, suspect still free. HELP

I have been asked by the victims family to do what I can to get this case moving. This incident was reported to the authority's in the state it happened in, as well as the states that the victim and suspect live in. Supposedly the case is on the prosecutor's desk, but it has been there for a long time.

The detective has interviewed those involved and has a confession from the suspect. One would think this case would move right through... but the suspect is still spending time around kids and he has a history of child abuse. The only problem is the statue of limitations prevents prosecution of all but this case.

I don't want to give more details about this case out of respect for those involved. They need help from someone to help motivate the prosecutor it doesn't matter if its a LEO, lawyer, or the media. They don't have the funds to hire anyone, but justice is for the rich AND poor right???

Can anyone help them out? I can put you in contact with them.

(Lebanon County)

Default Re: Child molestation case stuck for over a year, suspect still free. HELP

Are you talking about a DA or someone who works under them? If it's not a DA then you would report the prosecuting attorney to their superior who would be the DA. I am guessing if you're dealing with the DA then you could try complaining to the attorney general's office but a DA is an elected official and to my knowledge doesn't have a "boss" so to speak. Well, there's always the bar association but I don't know that there is any misconduct on their part until they have passed they statute of limitations and then there is no going back as far as getting any charges pressed... Regarding media...nothing wrong with calling around but the victim's family would have to consent to that because they can pretty much forget about privacy at that point.

Where liberty is but a flickering flame in the distance., New Jersey

Default Re: Child molestation case stuck for over a year, suspect still free. HELP

Also keep in mind that if several jurisdictions are involved this becomes something much more complex than just a simple criminal case. There could be a situation where the DA is looking at which jurisdiction would have the harshest punishment. If it is something that happened in one state and the suspect lives in another state could that involve the feds? I think as long as the charges have been filed they are safe with the statute of limitations. IANAL, but that's my take on this.

The 'Burg-Northern Berks County, Pennsylvania
    (Berks County)

Angry Re: Child molestation case stuck for over a year, suspect still free. HELP

"The detective has interviewed those involved and has a confession from the suspect. One would think this case would move right through... but the suspect is still spending time around kids and he has a history of child abuse. The only problem is the statue of limitations prevents prosecution of all but this case. "

SOLUTION:

illegal action suggestion deleted
    Last edited by JayBell; November 12th, 2008 at 09:07 PM.

(Chester County)

File a civil lawsuit against the defendant in the criminal case. Have the lawyer serve a document request for the confession from the defendant, or a subpoena on the DA's office. Then call the media and ask why DA so-and-so isn't prosecuting a confessed child molestor.
    The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I'm NOT your attorney, and I'm NOT giving you legal advice.

(York County)

If this is York county they seem to move at the speed of frozen sh*t on criminal cases. They also seem to lose a lot of big cases.
    I can not say I have a lot of confidence in the York county DAs office
    RIP -The US constitution.

(Venango County)

If it happened across state lines, does that mean it goes Federal? Or can?

If they lived in one state, and molestation or sexual attack occurs in another, does it become crossing state lines to commit sexual act with a minor? And would that extend the statute of limitations?

Just wondering if they could bark up another tree.

IANAL.
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

(York County)

good ideas, I like sjohn26's the best...

This whole situation makes me really really pissed off at the Judicial system.

Tripping on your shoe laces can really be bad.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by fingers80002 View Post
    Tripping on your shoe laces can really be bad.
    Alright so the first thing he should do is tie his shoes?

This is just another example of the terrifying world of shit we're in: there's just to many criminals to prosecute.

I'm not familiar with york county, but a self defense case I had to go to took ages to commence yet that it was a cut dry case.