Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Blair County)

Default Breaking in a Glock...

I have been wanting a Glock 26 for a while and I reckon now is the time to buy it. Well not right now since it's 21:02 on Friday night. But soon!

My questions are...

How do you folks break in a Glock?

How much oil do you put on your Glock while breaking it in? How much oil do you put on it after it is broken in?

People have told me to wipe off the "copper" grease the factory puts on a new Glock, yet I have read on PAFOA that the copper grease should not be wiped off.

I already own a Glock or two and do not oil them very much at all. They run fine, but I always wonder if I am damaging them by not oiling them enough.

Thanks!
    ~ Luke... Come to the dark side... We have cookies! ~

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Breaking in a Glock...

Quote Originally Posted by Jailkeeper View Post
    I have been wanting a Glock 26 for a while and I reckon now is the time to buy it. Well not right now since it's 21:02 on Friday night. But soon!

My questions are...

How do you folks break in a Glock?

How much oil do you put on your Glock while breaking it in? How much oil do you put on it after it is broken in?

People have told me to wipe off the "copper" grease the factory puts on a new Glock, yet I have read on PAFOA that the copper grease should not be wiped off.

I already own a Glock or two and do not oil them very much at all. They run fine, but I always wonder if I am damaging them by not oiling them enough.

Thanks!
    I don't think you need to "break in" a Glock pistol other than verifying it goes bang all the time,that the mags function all the time and that, let me think, it goes bang all the time.. Leave the grease till you feel the need to clean it. I use grease instead of oil on the rails(4 spots) anyway and also pack grease around the 3.5lb disconnector which is coupled with a NY1 trigger spring.

Aside from getting rid of the plastic factory sights and replacing them with good quality steel sights (I use night sights), i don't think there is much more to do to the pistol.

I stay away from extended mag releases and slide stop levers but that is just how i was instructed to carry a defensive firearm.

Good luck with the pistol,

Dip it in oil every 40 to 50 thousand rounds(JK) I wipe my pistols down with an oiled cloth. look at the Glock manual for oiling points).

(Northumberland County)

I am a Glock armorer.
    They told me in Armorer school NOT to wipe off the stuff the factory puts on it.
    leave it on as long as you'd like... there isnt much you are going to do to stop them from running.

As for "breaking in,"
    Shoot it,
    Clean it.

Love it.

As for running it too dry, dont worry. Glocks develop problems if you run them too WET. oil mixes with other junk and ends up in the firing pin channel - that is when it may fail.
    "The rifle is the weapon of democracy. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military. The hired servants of our rulers. Only the government-and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws." (Edward Abbey, "The Right to Arms," Abbey's Road [New York, 1979])
    I have my rifle. Do you?

(Blair County)

Thanks 27.

The Glocks I have now never fail to make a very loud noise every time I flip the bang switch, so I guess they're fine.

As I mentioned previously I do not use much oil on them at all, and sometimes I wonder if I am doing damage to them by running them too dry.

I bought some Wilson grease a while back; perhaps I will try that on the G26 when I find one.

Thanks again Sir!

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by mikepro8 View Post
    I am a Glock armorer.
    They told me in Armorer school NOT to wipe off the stuff the factory puts on it.
    leave it on as long as you'd like... there isnt much you are going to do to stop them from running.

As for "breaking in,"
    Shoot it,
    Clean it.

Love it.

As for running it too dry, dont worry. Glocks develop problems if you run them too WET. oil mixes with other junk and ends up in the firing pin channel - that is when it may fail.
    Thanks Mike! You should have never told me you're a Glock Armorer. Do you have any idea how many questions I'll hit you with?

Thanks again. I believe the manual says not to over-oil a Glock, but I always look down and wonder if I'm destroying my Glocks by not oiling them enough.

(Lycoming County)

Not that I can provide any more info than the armorer could, but..

Shoot it til you feel it needs cleaned, keep shooting. Once you think you've got it 5 times dirtier than it should be you may want to put a few more drops of oil on it. Keep shooting. The internals will be nice and smooth after about a thousand rounds or so. Then you could actually clean it if yo really feel the need.

No seriously, follow the instructions in the manual. Glock has a good section on where and how much oil to apply.
    I think the founding fathers meant exactly what they wrote: the government should not make any laws restricting the RIGHT of the people to 'hold or retain in one's possession' and 'hold or carry' guns and other weapons that would allow them to keep their government in line.

(Allegheny County)

I talked to the Glock rep last summer and this is what he told me.

The Glock Grease (the coppery colored substance) is a laping compound. What it does is smooth out any rough areas on the Glock that didn't get completely mirror smooth at the factory. So keep it on as long as possible. I would probably oil the slide rails and shoot at least 500 rounds through the gun before the first cleaning as long as you're just using new factory FMJ ammo.

But really, Glocks are so dependable I don't think if you wiped it off right away it would hurt anything. You just won't get the full benefit of why they put it on the gun.

(Chester County)

glocks run better wet than they do dry.

keep it lubed, and shoot it.

(Jefferson County)

Everyone knows the proper way to break-in a Glock is a 10 step procedure.

1. Clean it
    2. drop it in a puddle of mud and leave it for a week
    3. remove from mud and the run it over
    4. pick it up off your driveway, then take it to peak of the roof of your house and drop it back on driveway.
    5. clean it again
    6. rent a copter and drop it from about 5KFT, ....back onto your driveway.
    7. pick it back off the drive way and go for a drive down a busy interstate and toss it out the window.
    8. wait 3 hours to get full effect, then dash into traffic to retrieve your Glock.
    9. clean it again.
    10. take it to the range and be happy.

(Allegheny County)

Some folks use grease, but I like a drop or two of Mobil 1 synthetic on the rails, barrel lugs, connector and where the trigger bar contacts the safety plunger. By all means, avoid getting any lubricants into the firing pin channel. I just use MPro 7 to clean the breech face and extractor.

I know there is some debate on the Mobil 1 use, but I've been using it in place of grease on my guns, Glocks and 1911s for over 15 years. It stays put, doesn't collect crud and really reduces wear and scuff marks. Just my experience, yours may differ.
    "He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad."
    Rafael Sabatini's "Scaramouche"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast