Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Cops: Man kills neighbor, holes up in his house

Hey everyone- New here and been trolling around, but a story in the Inky really made me curious this morning. interesting part at the end:

http://www.philly.com/philly/hp/news...his_house.html
    Cops: Man kills neighbor, holes up in his house
    By DAVID GAMBACORTA
    Philadelphia Daily News

gambacd@phillynews.com 215-854-5994

Authorities had their hands full in Northeast Philadelphia last night after a man bludgeoned his 71-year-old neighbor to death and then barricaded himself in his house, police said.

Adding to the drama, police said, the killer was a mentally ill man who may have booby-trapped his house with trip wires and explosives.

About 7:40 p.m. police were called to Anchor Street near Saul for a report of an assault, said police Chief Inspector Scott Small.

They discovered that the elderly man had been savagely beaten in his own home. The victim, whom police did not identify, was taken to Frankford Hospital-Frankford, where he died of his injuries, Small said.

The man had been slain by his next-door neighbor, whom he knew well, Small said.

The neighbor, a 44-year-old man whom police did not identify, used "a pole, a shovel, a chair and his bare hands" to kill the man, Small said.

Investigators said it was unclear what triggered the violent attack.

Neighbors were in a state of disbelief as they watched police helicopters hover overhead while officers at the scene kept onlookers from getting close to the property.

Small said police had tried various ways to make contact with the barricaded man, including placing a speaker phone next to a window.

SWAT-team, bomb-squad and Homeland Security officers were still camped outside the younger man's home late last night trying to convince him to surrender.

They had plenty reason to be cautious.

"He has a history of some mental problems," Small said. "He is a known drug addict who has guns registered to him and is known to carry.

"Also, neighbors said they believe his house is booby-trapped with trip wires and explosives. He might also have holes carved out in the floors. He's a really, really dangerous guy." *

So I haven't lived in PA for long (came from VA and various Naval bases) but if the "Chief Inspector" knows the guy is drug addict and has mental problems, why does he have "guns registered to him and known to carry."

Maybe it's just another of poor reporting, but it just doesn't make sense...

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Cops: Man kills neighbor, holes up in his house

Why would they want to go take his guns, hes known to be dangerous. Much easier to come after yours and mine, most of us aren't crazy.

I highly doubt the guy had guns or he would have used them.

Now about getting legislation passed outlawing, chairs, poles, shovels, and hands!!!!

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by customloaded View Post
    I highly doubt the guy had guns or he would have used them.

Now about getting legislation passed outlawing, chairs, poles, shovels, and hands!!!!
    You forgot feet, bricks, hammers, bats (aluminum AND wood)..............

(York County)

IF he had been committed for mental health problems or had been convicted on drug charges then why would he (legally) have guns?
    I've seen posts here such as guns being confiscated when a girlfriend of a gun owner is arrested for domestic violence or mental issues.
    The report says "registered" to him & yet there is no registry in PA. That alone shows how little the reporter bothered to research the story.
    Also if he was known to carry and was known to use drugs/have mental problems, then either the sheriff didn't do an effective check (which I doubt) or he carried without a LTCF. Even if he was OCing and on foot this story came out of Philly where he'd still need the LTCF for OC.
    No LTCF = he was comitting a crime & if it was "known" then why was it allowd to go on?
    I'd say this whole thing was the fault of those who "knew" this was all going on & did nothing. Maybe if he'd eaten at the Dickson City Old Country Buffet we could have prevented this whole thing!
    Let us never forget the sacrifice of those who have fought for us all.

(Philadelphia County)

well, i haven't lived in Philly for long, but I've definitly noticed a severe lack of enforcing current laws and a strong predisposition for creating new ones

it's an odd place to live, having spent my first 18yrs on farm then 6 in the navy...

(Lehigh County)

Laws never protect those that are supposed to be protected by them.