Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: AR-15 Slings

(Montgomery County)

Default AR-15 Slings

So, what slings are you using for your AR's? I use single point slings but i'm thinking about trying a 2 point - any suggestions?

(Carbon County)

Default Re: AR-15 Slings

I use a single point BlackHawk sling. Thinking about a 2 point sling for my M&P 15-22. No suggestions though, but would like to hear some also. Don't you like the single point?
    If zombies start chasing us, I'm going to trip you!

(Philadelphia County)

Single point slings may be handy but they are rather hard on the nuts. My first two choices for 2pt slings would be without thinking either the VTAC or VCAS.
    Viking TACtics sling
    Vickers Combat Tactical Sling
    Last edited by Legion_Prime; November 22nd, 2009 at 09:49 PM.
    Warning: I may not read responses to OP before posting

(Cambria County)

+1 for the Vicker's 2pt sling.

(Chester County)

I use the VTAC. The VCAS would be my second choice.

The VTAC is faster to adjust, and has a wider adjustment range. The VCAS doesn't have a loose running end, but has a smaller adjustment range.

With the VTAC, I think it's a lot easier to tighten it down snug against your back if you're climbing something, or have your hands full. You can also get it tight against your arms to stabilize a distance shot.

With the VCAS, you have enough adjustment to run between a good length for regular use, and enough slack to transition to your other side when you let it out.

I think the VTAC is slightly more versatile, but the VCAS is a little "cleaner".

VTAC:

VCAS:

(York County)

On one of my AR's, I got the Vickers 2 pt combat sling and love it. On another I am trying the new Magpul MS2 and ASAP. I like the versatility of it, but I need to get out and do more dynamic drills to properly evaluate the MS2to see if it fits what I need.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steelblitz View Post
    On one of my AR's, I got the Vickers 2 pt combat sling and love it. On another I am trying the new Magpul MS2 and ASAP. I like the versatility of it, but I need to get out and do more dynamic drills to properly evaluate the MS2to see if it fits what I need.
    The question I ask myself is: is doing "dynamic movement" and all of that flashy stuff really what people do with carbines?

Considering that I know that at least Paul Howe doesn't even teach shoulder transitions at the instructor level courses...I don't think it's a super relevant skill to master...and certainly not one to tailor your equipment to.

What you loose by going to a one point outweighs the benefit of faster shoulder to shoulder transitions...if you ask me.

None of the guys with TigerSwan, Viking Tactics, Vickers, or Howe...run 1 points. If "operators" who go out looking for gunfights all the time have no need for single points...why do I?
    Last edited by synergy; November 23rd, 2009 at 12:43 AM.

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by Legion_Prime View Post
    Single point slings may be handy but they are rather hard on the nuts.
    This is a lesson that you only have to experience once. It's what I refer to as a "self correcting problem." Of course, it only corrects itself after you almost throw up.

The other problem with a single point is that it leave the carbine flopping hither, thither, and yon, when you need your hands for something else. With a Viking or Vickers, you cinch it down and go about your business (climbing a ladder, jumping out of a moving vehicle, whatever.) The two point also allows you to flip the carbine to your back when you need to do something like change a tire. If you pull that stunt with a single point, you go back to hither, thither, and yon, except behind you instead of in front of you.

Single points may be adequate on the range, but if you are living with the carbine, their shortcomings become rapidly apparent.
    PREPARE FOR BATTLE

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by synergy View Post
    The question I ask myself is: is doing "dynamic movement" and all of that flashy stuff really what people do with carbines?

Considering that I know that at least Paul Howe doesn't even teach shoulder transitions at the instructor level courses...I don't think it's a super relevant skill to master...and certainly not one to tailor your equipment to.

What you loose by going to a one point outweighs the benefit of faster shoulder to shoulder transitions...if you ask me.

None of the guys with TigerSwan, Viking Tactics, Vickers, or Howe...run 1 points. If "operators" who go out looking for gunfights all the time have no need for single points...why do I?
    To expand on my choice of sling in question, the MS2 is my quick change single/2pt sling to be used on a certain rifle which is reserved for certain applications. I consider the MS2 as much of a 2pt as a single, depending on its configuration. The MS2 intrigued me with the the ability to quickly transition from either single or 2pt. I already know, from combat experience as an "operator", and in advanced close combat training, I would have liked to have a single point at times. All the time, hell no, but at times the advantage of the single point in tight quarters of being able to more quickly transition the weapon to either shoulder could be a difference maker. On my 10.5" AR, my CQB weapon of choice, the MS2 single/dual point feels good with it on so far. Will I put a similar sling on any of my other longer barreled rifles? No, not only do I not anticipate having a need for such transitions with them, but experience has shown me that the single point is not an acceptable all around carry sling for me, for some reasons that others like DPB has stated.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steelblitz View Post
    To expand on my choice of sling in question, the MS2 is my quick change single/2pt sling to be used on a certain rifle which is reserved for certain applications. I consider the MS2 as much of a 2pt as a single, depending on its configuration. The MS2 intrigued me with the the ability to quickly transition from either single or 2pt. I already know, from combat experience as an "operator", and in advanced close combat training, I would have liked to have a single point at times. All the time, hell no, but at times the advantage of the single point in tight quarters of being able to more quickly transition the weapon to either shoulder could be a difference maker. On my 10.5" AR, my CQB weapon of choice, the MS2 single/dual point feels good with it on so far. Will I put a similar sling on any of my other longer barreled rifles? No, not only do I not anticipate having a need for such transitions with them, but experience has shown me that the single point is not an acceptable all around carry sling for me, for some reasons that others like DPB has stated.
    OK. Yes, that particular sling is convertible...if you run a forward attachment point.

The way that sling is setup though, is to a end plate. Even in 2 point mode, you will have the muzzle wander on you, more. It looked short, like it wasn't long enough to run comfortably as a 2 point....maybe I'm wrong.

So, would you plan to run it primarily in 2pt mode...then transition it to 1pt once you'd enter a building?

I kinda thought that the M2S was primarily a single point, which you could convert to 2pt when you're taking a lunch break or hopping into a vehicle, etc. Never thought it would be a good idea to convert it while the carbine is potentially needed as a weapon.

What were your thoughts?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast