Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lackawanna County)

Default What happened to HB40 (epansion to Castle Doctrine)

There was a big banner on this site that was promoting the contact of legislators in regards to HB40. Searches on the internet and this site didn't turn up anything, so I figured I'd ask what the deal is.

Just FYI - my favorite line from HB40 - "No person should be required to surrender his or her personal safety to a criminal." That sounds so logical and powerful.

Also, links to HB40 if anyone's interested:
    PA General Assembly: HB40
    HB40 Document
    "Twice today have I been told that my outfit does not match my gun..."

(York County)

Default Re: What happened to HB40 (epansion to Castle Doctrine)

Quote Originally Posted by msquaredserver View Post
    There was a big banner on this site that was promoting the contact of legislators in regards to HB40. Searches on the internet and this site didn't turn up anything, so I figured I'd ask what the deal is.

Just FYI - my favorite line from HB40 - "No person should be required to surrender his or her personal safety to a criminal." That sounds so logical and powerful.

Also, links to HB40 if anyone's interested:
    PA General Assembly: HB40
    HB40 Document
    I'am wondering if this thing will make it to a real vote and if so when will that happen?

My Name is GlockMan And I Approve This Message!!

Default Re: What happened to HB40 (epansion to Castle Doctrine)

I'am wondering if this thing will make it to a real vote and if so when will that happen?
    Thursday was a public hearing in front of the House Judiciary Committee. There was no vote yet. the process, as i understand it, is that eventually we want the Judiciary to come to a vote and pass it. this kicks it on to the whole House. Given that they have more than 110 co sponsors, they will almost certainly pass it. Then the Senate and on to the Gov.

the hurdles. The Democrat leadership in the House is against this bill. because they have the power to do so, they may continue to bottle it up in committee or refuse to bring it to a vote on the House floor. continued pressure on the various persons involved (ie. Judiciary members, your Representative and your Senator) will help out. I have been told that 600 phone calls a day to a Co-Sponsor isn't helpful though. If your Rep is a Co-Sponsor, you should probably not do more than call or write to thank him or her. A written letter mailed to him or her is more persuasive than an email. If your Rep is not a co-sponsor, urge him or her to become one. Don't be afraid to call or write your Senator either as there is already a companion bill in the Senate.

here's a link to House Bill 40
    http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/...H&type=B&bn=40

the list of co-sponsors is not complete.

The Governor is probably opposed to this bill. feel free to pressure him as well. if nothing else, we need to make clear to the Legislature that we want an override on a Veto. This is a political issue. making someone take a stand one way or the other is something we can use when it comes time to vote on their performance. There are many people who would be perfectly happy to prevent this bill from passing, but will vote for it to save their political skins in the next election. If they can, they will avoid a real vote. nothing says that a politician hates and fears his constituents like voting against gun rights.

as a disclaimer, i am mostly repeating what i was told by the guys running the Lobby Day. i am not one of the big wheels in the gun rights movement, more a foot soldier. you can help out. I actually got a phone call from my representative. i didn't think they actually made phone calls. if you possibly can, come out to the next lobby day. better yet, learn the ins and outs of HB-40 and take a personal meeting with your representative to urge him or her to co-sponsor. 90% of success consists of showing up.
    We've been monitoring him on the e-mail for a while. --York PD Lt. Gene Fells