Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Schuylkill County)

Default J-Frame Pocket Holster Questions......

Hi All! I'm momentarily refraining from "lurking" and am hoping to draw from your experience and expertise.
    I just purchased an S&W 642 to potentially replace my P3AT as my pocket carry pistol. My P3AT currently serves as both back up and when I cannot carry anything else, i.e. work, etc... my primary.
    I use an Uncle Mikes Pocket Holster because like many, it was available at the time. Because of my build and hehehe style, I generally where baggier pants, mostly cargos. The holster actually works well in most aspects but in certain pieces of apparel, mainly cargo style shorts my P3AT tends to roll forward onto the slide. Although semi annoying, it is easily corrected from time to time but one of my main concerns in carrying the S&W.

It seems as though the DeSantis Nemesis and the Mika holster are the most popular for that type of pistol and both in my consideration for use.
    Without further rambling, my questions are; does anyone with a 642 or the like use either holtser with "baggier" pants?
    Does anyone have experience with the DeSantis "SuperFly" with like pistols?
    I'm grateful for any recommendations you all can offer based on personal experience and I am open to suggetions.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: J-Frame Pocket Holster Questions......

Safariland also makes a pretty good pocket holster:
    http://www.usaholsters.com/Safarilan...-for-Revolvers

As for "baggier" pants that is very subjective and not easily defined. The short answer to your question will be for you to try/buy a number of holsters and see what fits you best. I own quite a bit more holsters then pistols
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Schuylkill County)

I understand that trial and error may be the route I have to go down regardless of other's suggestions. However I am pretty certain that there are some less than Adonis-like (maybe only a few..hehehe) gun owners on this forum that may carry a similar pistol in the same manor.
    Please help me with what you know.

(Schuylkill County)

BTW Steve, thanks for the holster tip.
    I don't know how to describe the baggier pants that I wear but I can say that they do not ride below my hips....or my boxers for that matter. My pistols and my "parts" are concealed.
    I'm 5'6", 195lbs. and my pants are 36-30. My pants are loose but not in the MC-hammer range either.
    One of my main concerns is the pistol "rolling" in my pocket in the holster.

(Northampton County)

Get your large pocket pants at Cabela's. The model is called 7 Pocket Hiker pants. They come in many colors and for men and women. Mine hide the S&W 642 perfectly. The front pocket is so big you can hide a glock19.

For great Pocket holsters visit. www.jsholsters.com.

(Philadelphia County)

I highly recommend Pocket Concealment Systems. They are stiff, thin, and keep the gun where it is supposed to be. Easy draw, too. I have a Pocket Speed Scabbard for my heavy steel SW model 60 and it doesn't print, draws easily, stays put, and is very comfortable. I forget I have it on, even with that heavy steel .38 in there. I carry it in both jeans and cargo shorts, some with some rather deep and wide pockets, and have never had any problem with the gun rolling around whatsoever.

They are in-stock and ready to ship, available from Lightning Arms Sports. Some of the nicest people you will ever talk to on the phone. I just ordered another PCS holster from them yesterday.

I have no stake in either of these outfits, they are just really good!

(Schuylkill County)

Sttaffy, much thanks. I did stumbled across PCS holsters and the the NO-SEE-UM had my interest........ I really appreciate your input.
    I wear 99.99% of the time and the points you hit on are exactly my concerns.

I now consider the Pocket Speed Scabbard worthy contentender (if not the front runner)!!!

(Philadelphia County)

I was very concerned with concealability so I asked about the no-see-um when I called Lightning Arms. Craig said it only hides a tiny bit better, and is more suited to dress slacks and formal wear. The nifty thing about that one is that there is an extra bit of leather sewn in right in front of the cylinder, filling that void as the gun gets skinner toward the barrel. Nifty. Not really necessary, though, from what I was told, and if you're wearing baggier clothing it won't be an issue at all.

Glad I could help!

(Schuylkill County)

Oh Yeah, Glockman, thanks for the tip on the pants and holster. It's not like I'm REALLY out of shape but if the pants come in what I call "over square" they might work out!

Take a look at the Kydex hosters from FIST. Additionally, here in Jacksonville Florida there is a custom holster maker. Great guy, fair price, and great communication. He's Dave Galloway and his business in Little Bear Holsters. The web site is www.littlebearholsters.com He has custom holsters he makes for the S&W 2 and 3 " J frame revolvers. I owned a 642 but traded for a Kahr PM9 to keep my ammo to two calibers 9mm and .45. The 642 is a great and reliable firearm. A good holster, with a good fit for the gun is a plus.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast