Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Snyder County)

Default So how many of you...

Just curious about the fine details of CC or OC that I think about when I am engaged...

How many of you:

1. Carry things with your offhand to have your strong hand ready in case anything were to happen?

2. When in public places, try to face a certain direction to help see threats sooner? Like trying to sit facing the door in a restaurant. Or standing with your back towards a wall, rather than a large group of people.

3. Think about SHTF scenarios where ever you go? Think about the closest exit when you are in Walmart. Think about how you would get home from Wal-mart if got to your car. Think about BUGing in or BUGing out if SHTF when you were in Wal-mart. Food, water, pack, guns, ammo, hiding, etc. (or anywhere, not just walmart).

I am sure there are more. But just curious if I am the only one that thinks/does these things. Or other things people do to keep themselves prepared and thinking about different situations when out and about.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: So how many of you...

Thinking is overrated.

Rather than burn brain cells trying to think of other things, I'll just comment on your first 2 questions.

Yes.
    and Yes.

One of the reasons I like to OC when walking my dog is because I can keep my left hand on the leash and don't need to worry about moving a cover garment if I needed to draw with my right.

When out I try to be aware of what's going on around me, and yes, I attempt to position myself in a way that would be to my advantage.

I've never had any desire to "bug-in" in a W-Mart... however, as a child I would daydream about how much fun it would be to be accidentally locked inside a department store overnight. Toy department, here I come!
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Zef_66 View Post
    1. Carry things with your offhand to have your strong hand ready in case anything were to happen?
    i tend to do the opposite...i generally carry things in my strong hand.

the reason is that, if i am suddenly attacked at contact distance, my first reaction (in addition to ducking my chin, generally sort of "balling up", stepping sideways, etc.) is to bring my offhand up for defense.

after that, my strong had is used for a counter attack. depending on what i have in my hand, it may be part of the attack, or i may just drop it as i am defending with my offhand and bringing my strong hand to bear for an attack.

though i carry everywhere all the time, i don't really think of my gun as part of my immediate defense against a contact distance attack, so my focus is not on keeping my strong hand free to grab it...my focus is on keeping my offhand free for immediate defense.

if i am attacked from further than contact distance...e.g., someone pulls out a knife but is not yet within contact distance...whatever i have in my hands--regardless of which hand--will be immediately thrown at the threat (again, as i am stepping sideways and lowering my chin). again, in this case, i like to have my offhand free to act as the first line of defense in case we are suddenly at contact distance.

(also, dropping whatever is in my hand before drawing my gun is not going to add much time to the draw...and, frankly, if that quick of a draw is required, i am most likely going to be running or using HTH disarm techniques instead of immediately drawing anyway.)

2. When in public places, try to face a certain direction to help see threats sooner? Like trying to sit facing the door in a restaurant. Or standing with your back towards a wall, rather than a large group of people.
    yes, i always try to do this. i have some friends who do as well. it's kind of funny when we go into a restaurant, and we are all trying to get the seat against the wall and/or facing out into the room.

3. Think about SHTF scenarios where ever you go? Think about the closest exit when you are in Walmart. Think about how you would get home from Wal-mart if got to your car. Think about BUGing in or BUGing out if SHTF when you were in Wal-mart. Food, water, pack, guns, ammo, hiding, etc. (or anywhere, not just walmart).
    i pay attention to where the exits are. in particular, i try to determine which exit will be the least obvious to other people so that if everyone suddenly tries to get out of the store, i am not trying to use the same exit as 90% of the other people in there.

i also generally pay attention to where cover is available (if there is any). i also generally try to stay away from corners as much as possible and look both ways when, for example, coming out of an aisle in a grocery store.

i don't really think about a route home or anything like that, though. basically, i would prolly just look to see where the masses are going and go the other way.

Hokkmike Guest

Awareness rather than conscious thought perhaps.

(Delaware County)

It's funny but after so many years of being together my wife looks at the front door and takes a seat so I can have plain view in a restaurant. In stores or out in public my hands are always free or at minimum my strong hand is free. I'm always scanning the crowds for "shady looking people" Call me paranoid but I have a wife and son to protect!
    In their hearts humans plan their course, but the LORD establishes their steps.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Zef_66 View Post
    When I think about it, I keep my weapon hand free - though my "strong" hand and my "weapon" hand are different. I'm generally Right Handed, but I shoot lefty.

Yes, always have. Even before I carried.

3. Think about SHTF scenarios where ever you go?
    Constantly. I find it part of being aware of my surroundings and haivng an escape plan.

(Erie County)

I don't worry about having my draw hand free. As stated by LRT what I'm carrying could very well by me some time to draw when the BG is trying to duck it.

My wife also has gotten to know me well enough to tackfully prompt restaurant staff to seat us in a way that doesn't put my back to a door or the room. I've been known to pass on such tables and wait for a better one to clear. I've always been that way.

I already go out of my way to avoid traffic and routes that have numerous lights. I don't mind the trips taking longer or driving further as long as their more peaceful.

If the SHTF, Walmart is not on my list of places I'd like to be so staying there isn't either.

I just try to be aware of my surroundings. I always keep an eye on people anyway just because you never know who the nut is in a crowd. Sometimes it's probably me. I always look for emergency exits, especially in unfamiliar large crowds. That has more to do with just basic safety though.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Allegheny County)

1, yes
    2, yes
    3, Sort of, I used to have to think about it, now whenever I'm in a place or anywhere I just kind of know. I learned this without learning so to speak a long time ago I just like naturally take notice of my surroundings and catalog it.

(Philadelphia County)

Throw what you have in either hand at/toward your attacker. Assuming you need to draw, take a side step or two as you throw whatever it is and draw.

I don't obsess over the scenarios you mention but I always try to have some plan. Even walking down the street (actually especially walking down the street) look at the people around you, smile at them, and have a plan to stop every single one of them if need be.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast