Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SOL?

Default SOL?

Over the summer I purchased my first CCW. I did extensive online research and narrowed it down to two choices. The Taurus Pt111 Millenium Pro (9mm) and the Skyy CPX-1 (also 9mm). I read extensively about both. Both had a few negative comments, but mostly were given "rave" reviews. I opted for the Skyy, as it was slightly cheaper, smaller, and I liked the feel/look of it. I think I goofed.

I've put about 800 rounds through it since I've had it. I'd say that maybe 300 of those rounds were trouble free (at random). FTF, (mostly light or off center strikes) FTE, numerous random jams, 95% of the time the slide doesn't lock back after last round as it is supposed to, the disassembly pin sheared off while shooting... I sent the gun back. It has a lifetime warranty--which was another selling point. Many of the postings I had read talked about how great their customer service was. Alot of people said they had their guns back and repaired within two weeks. It took nearly three months to get mine back. When I'd call, I was given a different reason every time--and I wouldn't have bothered calling had they said it would be a while, but each time I was told I'd have it by the end of the week, which I obviously did not.

I got the gun back and was excited to go to the range. I shot 50 rounds through it before it started to rain. Again, perhaps 15-20 of these were problem free. Same old problems. That night when I set the gun down on my coffee table the rear sight fell off.

I really was pulling for Skyy as they seemed to be an up and coming company offering a great product at a great price. Unfortunately the phrases "You get what you pay for" and "too good to be true" are beating me across the forehead now.

My question is, what should I do now, since I've essentially lost all faith in the gun? I hate to admit that I'm going to loose my ass on it, and certainly wouldn't want to trade anyone for it, knowing that it has issues. But I need to replace it, and can't afford a Taurus outright at this point. Should I take it to a shop and see what they'll give me for it? Or am I SOL?

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: SOL?

Selling it to someone without being upfront about the issues would make you a buddyfucker, so you're probably SOL.

Next time, do it right

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by MarcS View Post
    Selling it to someone without being upfront about the issues would make you a buddyfucker, so you're probably SOL.

Next time, do it right
    took the wors right outta my mouth. buy a glock.can't go wrong
    "Where would man be without his rights, weapons, and beasts." -me

I would take it back to the shop where you bought the thing, tell about your experience, and trade the POS in for something that will please you.
    Your life and time are worth much much more!
    mrwildroot
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety.

(Chester County)

Keep sending it back to the comapny until they get it right??

I dunno man... I too would have a problem selling an unreliable firearm to someone else.
    Μολὼν λάβε

Definitely don't want to be a "buddyfucker" in any capacity.
    The real shitter is that I bought it at a gun show--the shop I bought it from is hours away. Perhaps a phone call is in order.

(Allegheny County)

PureRockFury,

+6 for you for having the balls to post that.

There are a lot of people who would NEVER admit that a firearm they own is less than perfect, let alone, unreliable.

I, too, would attempt to trade it for another.
    You'll lose $ on the deal, but I think you'll feel more comfortable with another firearm and you can chalk this up to "lessons learned".
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Fayette County)

In good conscience I couldn't sell it without being totally upfront of the problems. Sorry to hear about and hopefully you can get something worked out.

Not to kick you while you are down, but I have a PT111 Pro and it has been problem free. I have about 600 rounds through it so far and not one issue.
    "Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive." - Elbert Hubbard

(Bucks County)

if you want to get rid of it, i might be interested....... not sure what the gun shop would give you for it, but shoot me a p.m. if you're interested........
    Retired LEO, FFL Holder

(Allegheny County)

Go a step further and really do it right.

SIG 228
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast