Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Ron Paul co-sponsors bill to decriminalize pot

At least on the Federal level.

Read the article, it's short but I think the arguments are irrefutable

1: Enforcement is expensive
    2: The crime is disproportionate to other Federal crimes
    3: States have voted to legalize medical marijuana and their rights should be respected.

http://rawstory.com/news/2008/Congre...onal_0417.html

April 17, 2008

FRANK INTRODUCES LEGISLATION TO REMOVE FEDERAL PENALTIES ON PERSONAL MARIJUANA USE

Congressman Also Files Bill Permitting Medical Use of Marijuana in States that Choose to Allow it with Doctor’s Recommendation

Congressman Barney Frank today introduced bi-partisan legislation aimed at removing federal restrictions on the individual use of marijuana. One bill would remove federal penalties for the personal use of marijuana, and the other – versions of which Frank has filed in several preceding sessions of Congress – would allow the medical use of marijuana in states that have chosen to make its use for medical purposes legal with a doctor’s recommendation. Representative Ron Paul (R-TX) joined Frank as a cosponsor of the federal penalties bill. The cosponsors of the medical marijuana bill are Rep. Paul, along with Reps. Maurice Hinchey (D-NY), Dana Rohrabacher (R-CA), and Sam Farr (D-CA).

Congressman Frank released the following statement explaining the legislation.

“I think it is poor law enforcement to keep on the books legislation that establishes as a crime something which in fact society does not seriously wish to prosecute. In my view, having federal law enforcement agents engaged in the prosecution of people who are personally using marijuana is a waste of scarce resources better used for serious crimes. In fact, this type of prosecution often meets with public disapproval. The most frequent recent examples have been federal prosecutions of individuals using marijuana for medical purposes in states that have voted – usually by public referenda – to allow such use. Because current federal law has been interpreted as superseding state law in this area, most states that have made medical use of marijuana legal have been unable to actually implement their laws.

"When doctors recommend the use of marijuana for their patients and states are willing to permit it, I think it’s wrong for the federal government to subject either the doctors or the patients to criminal prosecution. More broadly speaking, the norm in America is for the states to decide whether particular behaviors should be made criminal. To make the smoking of marijuana, whether for medical purposes or not, one of those extremely rare instances of federal crime – literally, to make a ‘federal case’ out of it – is wholly disproportionate to the activity involved. We do not have federal criminal prohibitions against drinking alcoholic beverages, and there are generally no criminal penalties for the use of tobacco at the state and federal levels for adults. There is no rational argument for treating marijuana so differently from these other substances.”

To those who say that the government should not be encouraging the smoking of marijuana, my response is that I completely agree. But it is a great mistake to divide all human activity into two categories: those that are criminally prohibited, and those that are encouraged. In a free society, there must be a very considerable zone of activity between those two poles in which people are allowed to make their own choices as long as they are not impinging on the rights, freedom, or property of others.
    I believe it is important with regard to tobacco, marijuana and alcohol, among other things, that we strictly regulate the age at which people may use these substances. And, enforcement of age restrictions should be firm. But, criminalizing choices that adults make because we think they are unwise ones, when the choices involved have no negative effect on the rights of others, is not appropriate in a free society.”

“If the laws I am proposing pass, states will still be free to treat marijuana as they wish. But I do not believe that the federal government should treat adults who choose to smoke marijuana as criminals. Federal law enforcement is a serious business, and we should be concentrating our efforts in this regard on measures that truly protect the public.”
    "Because I'm an American." - MtnJack

(Chester County)

Default Re: Ron Paul co-sponsors bill to decriminalize pot

It's about time some one did this. Our prisons are pack with people that are in there for smoking a plant...

(Northumberland County)

Can't argue with it.
    Let the states deal with it as they will. However, I think the fed should get involved if and when it deals with interstate commerce - ie national borders.
    "The rifle is the weapon of democracy. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military. The hired servants of our rulers. Only the government-and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws." (Edward Abbey, "The Right to Arms," Abbey's Road [New York, 1979])
    I have my rifle. Do you?

(Lackawanna County)

This may be the first time I've ever agreed with Barney Frank.

(Westmoreland County)

With that kind of common-sense thinking, it is no wonder there was not enough support for Paul.

Seriously, though, that makes a ton of sense. I hope that they are successful in making it happen. Thanks for posting.
    VEGETARIAN: Native American word meaning "bad hunter"

(Lancaster County)

Chalk up another great idea from Dr. Paul!

(Berks County)

Yea learned a little bit about Cannabis in a class. Most of the so called facts and everything are just things that came about in the 80s and started this whole called thing. Another interesting fact is that caffeine is a worse drug for you than the active ingredient of cannabis.

It always boggles my mind at why people seem to demonize something like weed, shrooms, peyote, and the other drugs (some of which are really bad for you) and let things like nicotine and caffeine slip through the cracks like they aren't bad for you(same for alcohol.) Those 2 drugs are far worse for you than some of the illegal ones.

Its just like the demonizing of the "Assault weapons" were all so familiar with.
    Freedom is paid with the blood of those who understand what being free really means. (Me)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - 1775 Benjamin Franklin

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kenshin View Post
    Yea learned a little bit about Cannabis in a class. Most of the so called facts and everything are just things that came about in the 80s and started this whole called thing. Another interesting fact is that caffeine is a worse drug for you than the active ingredient of cannabis.

It always boggles my mind at why people seem to demonize something like weed, shrooms, peyote, and the other drugs (some of which are really bad for you) and let things like nicotine and caffeine slip through the cracks like they aren't bad for you(same for alcohol.) Those 2 drugs are far worse for you than some of the illegal ones.

Its just like the demonizing of the "Assault weapons" were all so familiar with.

When I was in school, I had to present an argumentative speech. I chose the subject of legalization of pot. At the time, I really didn't have an opinion on the issue. After doing the same kind of research mentioned above, I was amazed to find out that the majority of the "facts" that had been presented to me were absolutely fabricated. Here is what I can remember about the speech. Marijuana:

1) is in no way physically addictive
    2) is no worse for the body than tobacco when smoked (when eaten, it is less harmful than coffee).
    3) is not a "gateway" drug as was presented to me any more than drinking beer is a gateway to drinking rubbing alcohol.
    4) is a multi billion dollar industry (so it's not just musicians and college kids smoking it)
    5) is very useful for a large number of medicinal purposes. There is no other drug as effective in easing nausea and increasing appetite in chemo patients.

It was really interesting to see these types of facts in serious resource materials. Who knew? Now I sound like a smoker when the subject comes up, even though I am not...not that there is anything wrong with that.
    VEGETARIAN: Native American word meaning "bad hunter"

majority of marijuana "facts" are 1930's propaganda and nothing more. You can usually tell when someone is a sheep when they start freaking out about drugs and marijuana in specific.

(Montgomery County)

I would love to see this pass, but let's face it, it's unlikely that it will. I think a large majority of the country would like this to pass, but I don't see the majority of politicians giving this the go ahead. I hope I'm wrong, though.

Proud member of:

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast