Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Northampton County)

Default Problem in Hellertown! Police at it again.

http://www.mcall.com/news/local/carp...7011207.column

Basically, a guy in my town said he had a problem with the police taking his gun at a traffic stop. He was legal, the gun was unrelated to the traffic stop...you know the drill. But they also talk in the article, about arrests at a traffic stop. He wasn't arrested, he was merely detained temporarily. Anyone else think we might wanna find this fella and reach out to him?

Just my thoughts...
    Popichak is probably trolling this for his next story...

(McKean County)

Default Re: Problem in Hellertown! Police at it again.

Maybe get him to write to the chief, politely pointing out that this type of illegal behavior is why the state has to pass even MORE laws such as HB 1523. Maybe even quote Chapter 9 of the MPOETC and PA statutes. And point him here, of course.

This Paul Carpenter seems to be generally unbiased in his reporting, but didn't do his homework on a couple of points:

"...felt local police officers were wrong to take away, even briefly, his legally licensed weapon." When did we start licensing weapons?

Then he "...consulted an esteemed expert on police procedure when it comes to Second Amendment rights....Alan Carpenter of Hamburg, N.Y., who retired from the New York State Police a few years ago.... Oh, yeah, he's also my cousin.

"Technically," [Alan Carpenter] said of a situation in which somebody is busted for speeding, "it's an arrest. … You can take the gun, and give it back to him when you're finished. I've done the same thing."
    Guess he is not so expert.

I'm pretty sure a traffic stop in PA is not "an arrest?" And can you arrest someone and then un-arrest them a few minutes later without reading them their rights? Or is this more police-speak?
    Marty near God's Country. Making good people defenseless doesn’t make bad people harmless.

(York County)

Maybe have him report it as a stolen firearm with all the details. TT
    Ghostery

(Monroe County)

http://ujsportal.pacourts.us/DocketS...R-0000292-2012

His gun wasn't kept, it was returned at the end of the stop.
    The article is an op-ed piece not a real crime report.

When someone illegally removes your property from your possession it is called theft:
    Theft: Noun,
    the act of stealing; the wrongful taking and carrying away of the personal goods or property of another; larceny.

So when the cop takes the weapon without your permission he is stealing it. Technically you could call 911 and report that a cop stole your gun and then used it in the commissioning of a crime I/E running its numbers against an illegal database.
    Food for thought
    Not a cop basher, but this removal of your weapon shit has to stop. someones going to get hurt when Officer Noob NDs a round through your head while trying to figure out how to clear the weapon.
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by bigandy1966 View Post
    When someone illegally removes your property from your possession it is called theft:
    Theft: Noun,
    the act of stealing; the wrongful taking and carrying away of the personal goods or property of another; larceny.

So when the cop takes the weapon without your permission he is stealing it. Technically you could call 911 and report that a cop stole your gun and then used it in the commissioning of a crime I/E running its numbers against an illegal database.
    Food for thought
    Not a cop basher, but this removal of your weapon shit has to stop. someones going to get hurt when Officer Noob NDs a round through your head while trying to figure out how to clear the weapon.
    It wont stop until the US and PA Supreme Courts reverse prior rulings, or the PA General Assembly creates a law limiting police activities.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(Monroe County)

No , in Amerika it wont stop untill they kill a Rich Jew and up getting the shit sued out of them.