Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lackawanna County)

Question Walmart or mamma & pappa shop for ammo?

I found out the hard way.
    got some ammo which i thought was cheap from walmart.

well i get a new gun few days later and notice same ammo from walmart was 3.00buckaroo`s cheaper! Dam!!! who knew the big corporate retail discount store would be more than the little shop .

(Lycoming County)

Default Re: Walmart or mamma & pappa shop for ammo?

Generally you will find the small locals will have better prices not only on ammo but also on firearms than the big box stores.

Also, Gander Mtn,. Dick's, and Cabelas may not have the knowledge like the local guy who has been do this all his life.

Occasionally you will find an ammo special at the big stores.

But stick with the small guys to help keep them in business!

Welcome to the forum!

God bless!!

PPP
    I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life. - Jesus Christ

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by rugerchaz View Post

well i get a new gun few days later and notice same ammo from walmart was 3.00buckaroo`s cheaper! Dam!!! who knew the big corporate retail discount store would be more than the little shop .
    I suspect this is a matter of Walmart having a much slower response to market forces ---- they never reached the heights of gouging that the local stores did when the rush was on for ammo after the last election..... and they are probably still pricing their sales on purchasing contracts made during that 'charge whatever the market will bear' period....

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pistol Packin Preacher View Post
    Generally you will find the small locals will have better prices not only on ammo but also on firearms than the big box stores.

Also, Gander Mtn,. Dick's, and Cabelas may not have the knowledge like the local guy who has been do this all his life.

Occasionally you will find an ammo special at the big stores.

But stick with the small guys to help keep them in business!

Welcome to the forum!

God bless!!

PPP
    Double thanks (welcoming & advice)!

I look at it this way:

Walmart used to carry guns, then it stopped. Now some are starting to get them back in again. But not my local one because the mom n'pops are handing it to them. Walmart doesnt carry 8mm or 10MM, rounds I am in need of.

So pay a lower price now on ammo (by maybe $2 or $3 a box), then lose my local gun shop and my ability to buy guns (remember, my local doesnt carry guns); OR buy from my local from people I know, access to pretty much any gun I want/afford, access to people who can help troubleshoot gun issues, access to reloading equipment and ammo as well as a place to socialize (I even have my own bar stool there ).

Welcome to the forum. And remember, Walmart ain't a member of the gun community, your local gun shop is.
    Hold the Line...

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by spacemanvic View Post
    I look at it this way:

Walmart used to carry guns, then it stopped. Now some are starting to get them back in again. But not my local one because the mom n'pops are handing it to them. Walmart doesnt carry 8mm or 10MM, rounds I am in need of.

So pay a lower price now on ammo (by maybe $2 or $3 a box), then lose my local gun shop and my ability to buy guns (remember, my local doesnt carry guns); OR buy from my local from people I know, access to pretty much any gun I want/afford, access to people who can help troubleshoot gun issues, access to reloading equipment and ammo as well as a place to socialize (I even have my own bar stool there ).

Welcome to the forum. And remember, Walmart ain't a member of the gun community, your local gun shop is.
    the kid at walmart i recall saying their ammo is the cheapest anywhere.
    kinda took it with a grain of salt, but after the gunshop sold for significantly cheaper I found myself almost returning to walmart to hunt down the little punk to confront him on his bold statement. eh, i let it go. figured he truly mighta thought this or mabey it was mandatory to say from his training; yea we got the cheapest ammo around...yea we got the cheapest toilet paper around...yea we got the cheapest paper shredders around..

actually i now know all the above is False. though i love walmart, gotta say their grocery section is amazing, their meats many call generic and crappy i think its great deal great quality.

(Bucks County)

Even if I pay a little more, I go to the local gun shop.

Helps keep them in business and you get better service.

"The more people I meet, the more I like my dog."

Quote Originally Posted by rugerchaz View Post

So... Wal-Mart was cheaper then?? What are you trying to say?

Wal-Mart has cheap plinking/target ammo. If its carry ammo youre after, your local shop will probably be your best bet.
    and to the dust you shall return

(Monroe County)

You have to Shop around, some Walmart Ammo will be cheaper and others will be higher, buy what you need at the price that is suitable and cheaper. For example right now at My Walmart in East Stroudsburg Walmart has Federal Hydrashock .40 cal at $17 per box the gun stores in the area have it for $26- $29 per box, they have the same Hydrashock in .45 for $21 per box, the last time i bought it at a Gunstore i paid $28.

I have gotten Swiss and German GECO 9mm at Walmart for $9 per box of 50, try getting that at a local store for that price.

However the local Gunshop will have hard to get ammo such as 10mm , .357 Sig etc. because they ARE gunshops Walmart is not .

(Butler County)

The more you deal with a mom/pop shop the more advantages you gain. Once you're a regular you're more than just one of the masses hitting the chain stores. You develope a relationship.

My local shop gets all my business except maybe ammo. I keep an eye on prices when I'm out and about. Just bought Hornady 9mm at Dick's. Only place I could find it and at the best price I saw looking at empty shelves at 3 shops and Gander Mtn.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast