Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Arrow Update on SGL ranges

I email my local Representitive, about SGL range closures, and this is the reply that he got back. This was forwarded to me.

Rep. Clymer, Thank you for your email on the ranges. As you know we have been doing lead remediation on our ranges to get ahead of anticipate environmental requirements. We are also taking the opportunity and reconstructing them to insure the safest environment we can. The best way to inform your constituents is to refer them to our website; www.pgc.state.pa.us. On that page click on state game lands in the left hand column. The second paragraph in the center, click on public shooting ranges. There will be a lot of information including directions below the map. In the map click on the specific range and it will tell you when we anticipate the range being reopened. If you are referring specifically to SGL 157, that one is a little more complicated. We are planning on reopening it in 2009. There is a wetlands there and we have some concerns on the range orientation. We are looking to see if additional safety measures are needed due to proximity to housing areas. We anticipate is reopening in late spring of next year. Hope this answers your question.
    Last edited by Toxicodendron11; September 18th, 2008 at 08:37 PM.

Default Re: Reply from Rep. Paul Clymer on SGL ranges

Thank you for the update! I have one big question, as I thought that existing ranges were generally exempt from environmental laws. Is this lead remediation required by law? Or is this something just being done by the PGC?

(Cumberland County)

It sounds to me like they know that new enviro. regs. are on the way, so they are beating them too the punch. They are closing ranges one by one to clean them, rather than having to close them all at once - cleaning them one by one as they get around to it. I think they actually got this one right.

Not to mention that there is so much scrap lead and copper in the backstops, hunting licenses should be all but free for the next 10 years.
    Soap Box - Worn out : Ballot Box - Broken : Jury Box - Pending : Ammunition Box - Unknown

(Bucks County)

Angry Re: Reply from Rep. Paul Clymer on SGL ranges

Quote Originally Posted by daschnoz View Post
    It sounds to me like they know that new enviro. regs. are on the way, so they are beating them too the punch. They are closing ranges one by one to clean them, rather than having to close them all at once - cleaning them one by one as they get around to it. I think they actually got this one right.

Not to mention that there is so much scrap lead and copper in the backstops, hunting licenses should be all but free for the next 10 years.
    I got that same crap response 2 years ago when they said it would be opened in the spring I'll bet if someone that lives close drove there and walked back they will find nothing has been done except bird houses erected then they will tell us that the range will disturb the birds

This irritates me to no end. Is it the duty of the PGC to provide every citizen of PA a place to shoot? I didn't think so. Be glad they are doing anything with these ranges. They would probably save a shit load of money if they just closed all of them permanently. Join a private club.
    Jules

(Bucks County)

Thumbs down Re: Reply from Rep. Paul Clymer on SGL ranges

Quote Originally Posted by ar15jules View Post
    This irritates me to no end. Is it the duty of the PGC to provide every citizen of PA a place to shoot? I didn't think so. Be glad they are doing anything with these ranges. They would probably save a shit load of money if they just closed all of them permanently. Join a private club.
    Jules
    GO back and look That part is even closed to hunting and isn't that the mandate of the pgc I walked down to the old range and there were no trespassing signs on both sides of the access road and a horsey trail your licence fees are now supporting yuppie pastimes LET them join private Equestrian clubs on private property most of them are wealthy and don't need to apropreate land paid for by the states hunters

Quote Originally Posted by AZajack View Post
    GO back and look That part is even closed to hunting and isn't that the mandate of the pgc I walked down to the old range and there were no trespassing signs on both sides of the access road and a horsey trail your licence fees are now supporting yuppie pastimes LET them join private Equestrian clubs on private property most of them are wealthy and don't need to apropreate land paid for by the states hunters
    So what does this have to do with them supplying you with a range?
    Jules

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ar15jules View Post
    So what does this have to do with them supplying you with a range?
    Jules
    And what do Horsey trails have to do with State Game Lands. And BTW I belong to 2 ranges. I just don't like resources paid for by PA. hunters being mis used Next thing you know you will be avocating the ban of hunting

Quote Originally Posted by AZajack View Post
    And what do Horsey trails have to do with State Game Lands. And BTW I belong to 2 ranges. I just don't like resources paid for by PA. hunters being mis used Next thing you know you will be avocating the ban of hunting

I can ride a horse, or a mountain bike on the SGL near me if I choose, and the range is still open. So, the multipurpose usage of the SGL has nothing to do with the range being closed. The sooner you realize the PGC owns SGL for timber and mineral rights and NOT for your hunting or SHOOTING pleasure, the better off you will be. At least you won't be pissy that the range is closed...
    Jules

(Bucks County)

what don't you understand? PGC=Pennsylvania Game Comission We already have a DCNR for other recreation
    SGL= State Game Lands Not state what ever we want to do with it lands.
    This is my last post to someone that is against shooters on a PA gun board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast