Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default coo/iconic firearms that won't break the bank

Hey everyone. I'm still in the early stages of collecting guns and could never quite figure out what I wanted my collection to be. It's mostly become a bunch I stuff I bought impulsively because I thought it was cool at the time, but now I think I have a theme I'd like to go with and your help would be appreciated.

I'm looking to collect guns that were iconic in a sense, or that were special in firearm history, ruled a certain era so to speak. For instance, on my list and soon to be owned are the NAA Derringer in 22lr. Cool little gun that hits on the derringer "era" of tiny wrist guns at poker games (Hollywood taught me that). Another gun is the Ruger Mark III target or Stoeger Luger in 22lr. Basically clones of the iconic Luger pistol from Germany and hits on the era in WW1 and 2 where the Luger was prevalent. Next would be the Beretta M9, an iconic gun used by militaries far and wide (my knowledge is limited on this gun) and also the 1911 (Ruger Version), which also was used by the US military and is definitely an iconic gun and will probably always be.

Hopefully I got the idea across without confusing you all of my intentions. I just want a point to my collection and cool/iconic guns fit that bill for now, ones that everyone will hopefully ogle at the range. I'm absolutely fine with clones and reproductions since I don't have the biggest, as long as they work well.

So what have you?

(Damn typo in the title)
    Last edited by jsaranczak; May 20th, 2015 at 10:17 AM.

Default Re: coo/iconic firearms that won't break the bank

Makarovs are popular around here.

Maybe a nice Comm-Block pistol? How about going Nazi...a Walther PPK? If you want historical, what better way to get into history than owning the arms of the enemies we conquered?

Neither will break the bank and will be great shooters. I carry a Romanian PPK clone and completely trust it.

http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg/rus...-pm-pmm-e.html

http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg/de/...and-ppk-e.html

You could always go Israeli UZI too.

http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg/isr/uzi-pistol-e.html
    Last edited by alpacaheat; May 20th, 2015 at 10:13 AM.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by alpacaheat View Post
    Makarovs are popular around here.

Maybe a nice Comm-Block pistol? How about going Nazi...a Walther PPK? If you want historical, what better way to get into history than owning the arms of the enemies we conquered?

Neither will break the bank and will be great shooters. I carry a Romanian PPK clone and completely trust it.

http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg/rus...-pm-pmm-e.html

http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg/de/...and-ppk-e.html

You could always go Israeli UZI too.

http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg/isr/uzi-pistol-e.html
    The Marakov looks like an awesome little gun, as well as the PPK. Would love to have the James Bond gun

The Uzi is a definite must have, though I'd have to get it SBR'ed for it to look right. Now on my list.

I have a feeling I opened a can of worms and I'm going to have a list longer than I could ever afford lol

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

S&W Model 10 revolver. S&W has made them for over 100 years, police used them as duty weapons for generations, and you can buy them dirt cheap. I bought mine, an NYPD duty gun from 1981, for under $300.

(Indiana County)

I had typed out a long post, but decided instead to direct you to the Curio and Relic section of Gunbroker for ideas.

Also, I'd skip the "copies" you mentioned.
    The NAA is nothing like the old timey derringers except in size and a real period Remington derringer can be found for about $500 if you search them out.
    Same goes for the Ruger 1911, for a few hundred more you can find a mismatched US GI 1911.
    A shooter grade Luger can be found for $600 or so to someone that uses the internet wisely.

Later on into your collecting years, the copies will be disappointments as you eventually start spending money on real period firearms.
    I've been there.
    No more "cool" TEC-9's or cheap Spanish S&W copies, my latest handgun purchases were a Romanian Tokarev, Steyr-Hahn, PA State police G21 and a well carried but hardly fired Beretta 92FS for under $300.

I'll suggest a Garand, US M1917 Enfield, Finnish Mosin, S&W mod59 and Winchester '94 and Model 12, '03/'03A3, Remington Mod 14...

Good luck, once you start it's hard to stop, I'd suggest getting a C&R license, best $30 I ever spent.

Makarov PM- Soviet sidearm for ~50 years. Prices are going up on these, but are still affordable. Should still be able to get a real Mak in excellent condition for under 400. Iconic gun.

German made Walther PP/PPK- Pretty pricey, especially in good condition. If it is Nazi proofed and in good condition, expect to pay more than a grand.

German made Sauer 38H: Only made during Nazi Germany era. Less expensive than a same-era PPK, but good quality.

Heckler & Koch VP70Z: The FIRST polymer framed pistol. They are big and clunky with a 25 lbs. trigger pull. Featured in the 'Aliens' movie. Not too expensive, but very cool. Should be able to find one in the 600 dollar range.

Browning Hi-Power- The P35, possibly one of the most well-known auto-loaders in history. Can be had for well under a grand, new or used.

Smith & Wesson M&P hand-ejector- The old 5 screw model. In good condition, should be able to get one in the 600 dollar range. The fit and finish on these pre-50's K-frames are basically custom grade. (Do NOT shoot +P ammo in these).

Colt 1903 hammerless- cool little .32 auto. I believe it was the gun that started WW1, with the assassination of the Kiser. You can find them for around 600 bucks in good condition.
    Last edited by American1776; May 24th, 2015 at 01:37 PM.

(Bucks County)

I just picked up a S&W model 10 in VG condition for less than $300, the transfer included.

West Side of river from Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
    (Luzerne County)

A 70's vintage ar-15 by DPMS that is pre-ban(can we still say that) with flash hider and bayonet mount that I paid too much for during the ban!!! :-)

Seriously...... an HKP7 is a must.
    With great power comes great responsibility....

Quote Originally Posted by forby View Post
    A 70's vintage ar-15 by DPMS that is pre-ban(can we still say that) with flash hider and bayonet mount that I paid too much for during the ban!!! :-)

Seriously...... an HKP7 is a must.
    Yes, The HK P7 is officially my favorite pistol. I carry it very often. Prices on those (even the police surplus from lower saxony) have gone through the roof. I suspect that in 5 years or so, ALL P7 variants will equal or exceed the Colt Python level.

(Westmoreland County)

Someone once told me if you want a really nice collection you almost have to specialize. I chose revolvers with a couple side collections going on. Aside from my hunting rifles I have a small collection of US surplus rifles. Military surplus is a historic area that'll keep you bust for a life time. I also have a modest side collection of S&W 3rd generation autoloaders going on.

Not too many firearms that aren't cool although some are more iconic than others. Figure out what path you want to pursue and stick with it. You'll gain a lot of knowledge along the way too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast