Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dressing well

(Berks County)

Default Dressing well

I went to target today OC with my XD9 on my hip. This was my very first OC experience. I have a LTCF also for transportation purposes.

I didn't notice much hubub around me though when I did walk into the store I was a little nervous.

Prior to leaving for my first OC trip I dressed in nice dress khakis and a very svelt red button down shirt tucked in with black belt and black shoes. I must say I felt sharp. I also did my hair to keep a professional look about me.

I really do think this helped keep eyes off of me. Passed many employees and others who surely noticed my weapon, but the fact that I had a basket full of food and nice attire resulted in others viewing me as not suspicious or dangerous.

Now I need some fliers. Also, the cashier asked me if I was a cop. I told him I had a LTCF but didnt go into detail as there was a line behind me and I didnt want to explain the OC PA law. Here fliers would help.

Anyone notice a difference when you dress sharp vs sloppy with how much heckling you receive?

(Erie County)

Default Re: Dressing well

Quote Originally Posted by Lothaen View Post
    I went to target today OC with my XD9 on my hip. This was my very first OC experience. I have a LTCF also for transportation purposes.

I didn't notice much hubub around me though when I did walk into the store I was a little nervous.

Prior to leaving for my first OC trip I dressed in nice dress khakis and a very svelt red button down shirt tucked in with black belt and black shoes. I must say I felt sharp. I also did my hair to keep a professional look about me.

I really do think this helped keep eyes off of me. Passed many employees and others who surely noticed my weapon, but the fact that I had a basket full of food and nice attire resulted in others viewing me as not suspicious or dangerous.

Now I need some fliers. Also, the cashier asked me if I was a cop. I told him I had a LTCF but didnt go into detail as there was a line behind me and I didnt want to explain the OC PA law. Here fliers would help.

Anyone notice a difference when you dress sharp vs sloppy with how much heckling you receive?
    I am a big proponent of dressing around your firearm. You do it when concealed carrying, why wouldn't you do it when OCing?

My logic is the same as yours. You are less likely to be hassled when you are dressed nicely. People just assume you have a "purpose" behind carrying.

Some on this forum will laugh at you for having the foresight to think, "Maybe this will make life easier."

I have no problem with OCing dressed however you feel. But it should be obvious to anyone that if you OC dressed like a miscreant or like you are off to a NASCAR race or biker convention, you are more likely to incur public and police backlash.
    Open Carry: it's whats for dinner.

(Franklin County)

I believe it's only natural that a well dressed person gives a positive impression. Actually it is a shame that we tend to judge others simply by their clothing because I've known some super folks that cared less what others thought of their appearance. A few of these super folks... STUNK! But who am I to tell them they'll need to shower before they're graced by my fabulous presence LOL.

I tend to dress nicely because I enjoy it. I did before carrying a firearm and I will as long as I can afford clothing.

(Lebanon County)

I wore a suit once, and OC'd without a coat. It was a different experience than being dressed normally. Normal for me is usually shorts or jeans and some sort of unbuttoned hawaiin shirt, with a white T underneath... Not very prof. looking
    Some say that his discharge is luminous.

I've never worked in the livestock business, but it's my understanding that the sheep will be spooked by anything out of the ordinary.

If people can persuade themselves that you're probably some sort of cop, they won't be bothered. Which is why so many people ask "are you a cop" if you have a gun and look like you may meet the physical requirements and dress code of some department somewhere.

I don't see anything wrong with dressing nicely so as not to spook the flock.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Lehigh County)

I try to dress nicely anyway. I spent the first 20 years of my life dressing like a sloppy kid (untucked shirts, torn jeans, etc). I find it refreshing to wear a nice button-down shirt, tucked into slacks or khaki pants.
    Any mission, any conditions, any foe at any range.
    Twice the mayhem, triple the force.
    Ten times the action, total hardcore.

(Berks County)

Which Target did you go to? the New one on 5th street or the one by Dicks? I've OC'd into the one on 5th street once... and had employees following me around the store the whole time...not once did i get asked anything though...
    Nice to see another OC'er in the area!

(Northampton County)

What is considered "dressing well" as a shopper/loiterer at Target?

Disclaimer: I'm sporting Walmart neck to ankle.
    Last edited by ungawa; September 10th, 2009 at 05:49 PM.

(Berks County)

The Target up way north on fifth street by the giant.

Not the one on paper mill. Im new to the area. A Texas transplant.

Been kinda rainy around here.

(Lancaster County)

I made this comment a while ago on here and I got flamed for it saying this too and the response was well are only well dressed people allowed to carry than someone dressed like a Philly gang banger thug OCing I think dress has a lot to do with it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast