Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Okay... Cabelas helped me choose.

I just got a 100.00 off certificate for Cabelas and 0% interest for 12 months.

So now I have to figure out which pistol to get, I'm not interested in a revolver at all.

Priorities:

1. High Capacity

2. Reliability

3. Concealability

I'm looking at the usuals so far: XD, Glock, and M&P.

This will be a home defense gun and will probably replace my 1911 as a daily carry weapon. I'll be carrying IWB and in a Smart Carry.

What does everyone think? As I have to get this from Cabelas to get the discount please keep the response to only Cabelas sold brands.
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Montgomery County)

Question Re: Okay... Cabelas helped me choose.

Are Cabelas' prices, even with $100 off, competitive with internet companies like TopGlock.com or CDNNSports.com?

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Okay... Cabelas helped me choose.

Get a Glock.

Nah, I'd advise to get whatever feels best in your hand. Go to the store and fondle them all.
    Safety is a good tool for tyrants; no one can be against safety.

Μολὼν λαβέ

(Northampton County)

Depending on your build the XD's and Glocks might be a bit bulky for IWB carry in my opinion. I had a Keltec P11 (10 +1 in 9mm) that fit in my pocket but I recently went with a PM40 Kahr.......that won't meet your Hi Cap requirements though. If you are willing to go with a high ride holster I can say that my 4" XD .45 with 13 + 1 is a fantastic carry piece. I'm 6ft and weigh 215 so with baggy shirts it conceals well.

(Monroe County)

yeah the double stack really adds a lot of thickness to them unfortunately.

How does the Glock SF's match up compared to the XD thickness and the M&P thickness? Does it make a difference at all?

Any other guns at Cabelas that I should be looking at? Anything from Ruger or Taurus that I should be looking at?
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Berks County)

Give the CZ 75 a try....

They have em at Cabellas in blue and stainless and at I think 16+1 you have the hi cap issue resolved.

Only hi caps that Taurus makes that I know is their clone of the Beretta M9, and from what I saw I was not that impressed, but I say the same thing about the Beretta M9 lol.....

Last time I was there I saw they were running a special on Glocks with the tac light.

SIG might also be a consideration as the ergos on them are much better than the Glock or Springfield. Only problem with the SIG for me is the decocking lever was as stiff as hell to engage, but again that was for ME....ymmv

Don't forget to go though the used handgun display and you might be able to haggle a bit on them.

Good Luck and let us know what you picked.
    gotta love her ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    snip

I'm looking at the usuals so far: XD, Glock, and M&P.

snip
    Well, since you've ruled out revolvers with their unique American heritage, rugged simplicity, and superb reliablity, and want tupperware instead of a proper firearm, I'd have to say that all three of those choices are excellent, and the only real deciding factor between them will be how they feel to you.

Seriously, you can't go wrong with any of them. I and/or my wife has owned at least one example of all the above. Nearly all the plusses and minuses were subjective. The only objective issue is that her M&P 9c would occasionally lock the slide back with a round still in the magazine. It did this with three different mags, and three different shooters, so I really don't know what the issue was.

My impressions:
    The Glocks feel like crap in my hands, don't point well for me, and the manufacturer says no cast bullets, which I shoot a bunch of. My Glock 19 was quite reliable, my early Glock 23 was a massively unreliable POS, second only to my hated S&W 1076 for functional laziness.

The M&P felt slick in my hands when shooting, which led to both Cathy and I having sore hands from trying to hang onto the thing, until I convinced myself it wasn't going anywhere. It had a better feeling trigger to me than the other two choices, was more accurate, and was really nice to carry.

The XD9 Tactical didn't move a bit in my hand when firing, had plenty adequate though not spectacular accuracy, a really mushy trigger that I didn't care for until the round count went past 500 rounds, when it actually got a lot better. It points like a finger for me, feels good, and I liked the grip safety. Through a thousand rounds or so, it never malfunctioned, even when I loaded some rounds that were too light, so light that the empties were dribbling out of the chamber and landing on my shooting hand.
    Last edited by JoeWilliams; December 12th, 2008 at 06:26 PM.
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

(Monroe County)

I'm really leaning towards the XD at this point. I've shot them before and they shoot very well. I'm not a big fan of the Glock grip angle.

Most revolvers fail the "high cap" piece of it :P

I forgot about the Cz 75 compacts, I'll have to take a look at them as well.

btw I'll probably go with a 9mm, mainly because my wife already carries a CW9 (awesome ccw) and its easier to only have 2 calibers around instead of 3 (9mm, 45 ACP)

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    I'm really leaning towards the XD at this point. I've shot them before and they shoot very well. I'm not a big fan of the Glock grip angle.

Most revolvers fail the "high cap" piece of it :P

I forgot about the Cz 75 compacts, I'll have to take a look at them as well.

btw I'll probably go with a 9mm, mainly because my wife already carries a CW9 (awesome ccw) and its easier to only have 2 calibers around instead of 3 (9mm, 45 ACP)
    Comparison of tech specs in a handy chart:

http://www.handgunsmag.com/featured_...polysh_032707/

I've shot all three (Glock/XD/M&P). Coke and Pepsi.

(Montgomery County)

xd-45 compact with a 4" barrel. You can carry the 10rnd mag in the gun and carry 2 13 rounder’s on your belt. I love mine and iwb carry isn't a problem for me.

I also have an xd-45 tactical. It is a little bigger and harder to conceal.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast