Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Odd FFL request???

I'm in the process of selling a T\C frame and I'm sending the frame (haven't done this yet) to an out of Pa. FFL (I'm a Pa. resident) as soon as I receive the FFL's signed form.

Now, I've done this before, but this particular FFL has requested me to send him a copy of my Pa. Driver's License along with the frame.

I told him I'd send him a license copy, but I would black out the D\L number, as I am always nervous about providing any of my personal information to anyone. I also offered to provide him a copy of my Pa. CC permit and my Fla. non-resident CC permit, but he insist that my Pa. Drivers License must have the number on it.

Well, I'm about to tell him the deal is off as I see no reason to provide this information.

Any thoughts on this?

Default Re: Odd FFL request???

Just my opinion, but it seems like a reasonable precaution for the FFL to request positive ID, and it probaby increases your chances of getting the gun back if for any reason the sale doesn't go through. Of course, you're free to go elsewhere, but a lot of FFLs won't even accept transfers from non-FFLs.

(Westmoreland County)

Ditto to what Renalp said. If I'm receiving a firearm from someone without an FFL I prefer a copy of their DL with numbers intact; just in case. Remember the 11th commandment. I'd not worry about it. The FFL is just going to add the copy of your DL to his incoming file and that will be the end of it.

Oh and I will accept transfers from non-ffls with the proper ID on the senders end. Like a copy of their DL with all the information intact. I follow the 11th commandment as well.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidTM View Post
    ... I told him I'd send him a license copy, but I would black out the D\L number, as I am always nervous about providing any of my personal information to anyone. ....
    No, it's not odd. I'll bet many places that require photo ID have already made copies of you entire Driver License. Perhaps your doctor's office, the lab that does your bloodwork, your bank, and any FFL where you might have purchased a gun.

Perhaps I could understand your concern if it involved your SS Universal Identification Number, but I think you're being overly cautious concerning your DL number.

Many FFLs won't even accept a shipment from a non-FFL, but, providing a copy of your DL seems like an understandable requirement to ID the person transferring the firearm to him.
    IANAL. I don't give legal advice. I'm only stating my OPINION.
    (Did I really need to say that on an Internet forum? LOL)

(Delaware County)

Being a gun guy,,,,,,,, if you can't trust an FFL,,,,,,,, who can you trust????????
    George,
    So many guns, so little money.

(Westmoreland County)

Ok,

I'm always overly cautious about this "stuff". I just sold and shipped another frame (I'm getting out of owning Contenders) and the FFL didn't ask for anything of this nature.

Thanks.

Dave

The odds of you misusing a copy of his FFL are higher than him misusing your driver's license. Some FFL's won't send a copy of their license to any non-FFL, for exactly that reason, that scammers will use the copy to obtain guns and screw up the records.

You can verify an FFL through ATF's EZ- Check, you don't need a copy of his license. He, on the other hand, can lose his license and career over inadequate records, and he has to use your info for his bound book. He has a legitimate need for your license.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    The odds of you misusing a copy of his FFL are higher than him misusing your driver's license. Some FFL's won't send a copy of their license to any non-FFL, for exactly that reason, that scammers will use the copy to obtain guns and screw up the records.

You can verify an FFL through ATF's EZ- Check, you don't need a copy of his license. He, on the other hand, can lose his license and career over inadequate records, and he has to use your info for his bound book. He has a legitimate need for your license.

That's interesting. If I use (or mis-use, or "thieve") his license, I can go to prison under perhaps a felony. If he sells my identity, first....he would probably never get caught, and even if he did, it probably would be a misdemeanor.

I'm just guessing at all of that above.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by DavidTM View Post
    That's interesting. If I use (or mis-use, or "thieve") his license, I can go to prison under perhaps a felony. If he sells my identity, first....he would probably never get caught, and even if he did, it probably would be a misdemeanor.

I'm just guessing at all of that above.

Dave
    If you screw up his FFL, ATF can shut him down while they sort it out. If he were to sell off every bit of data on your DL, he'd get nothing for it. Most of that info is already public. If you want to scare yourself, run a few Google searches for your exact street address, then your exact phone number, then your name (with middle initial) in quotes. See how many websites are already including your info in what they offer for sale to strangers for pennies per name.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Westmoreland County)

Interesting. Well...I can tell you I have no intentions of screwing with his FFL. Lord knows it's tough enough for a small business guy to make a go of it, let alone a small gun shop owner.

Anyone who would screw with a small shop's FFL should be damned to hell 100 times over.

Maybe that's not enough either.

Dave