Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Exclamation Peaceable Journey in OH??

Hello all!

A couple of friends and I are planning on going to Knob Creek, KY this weekend, and is wondering whether OH has a peaceable journey law. I know KY and WV both have reciprocity with PA, but OH doesn't.

If OH has a peaceable journey law, we could take the most direct route, as long as we don't stop for anything but fuel. If OH does not have a peaceable journey law, then we probably can't/won't go through OH. Then we will have to spend an extra hour on the road, and go through WV and be perfectly legal all the way knowing our LTCF's are recognized.

Can anyone shed some light on this matter please?

Thanks!

(Butler County)

Default Re: Peaceable Journey in OH??

The federal government allows you to travel through Ohio. Read this thread: http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-ope...-firearms.html
    Proud friend of the Noble family.

(Allegheny County)

also, since you live relatively close to OH, you might want to consider getting a UT or FL permit so you can carry there.
    F*S=k

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
    also, since you live relatively close to OH, you might want to consider getting a UT or FL permit so you can carry there.
    Yeah, I've been thinking about that... I just missed a UT course from FIRE last time - had to work... ya know.. that job-thing you have to do so you can pay for your hobbies, even though the government take 1/3 of it away from you? *sigh... c'est la vie...

JavaProgrammer:
    Thanks for the link . I've already seen that, and verified that info at other online sources as well. However, I wanted to know whether we're allowed to carry while we're in the vehicle. I know the federal law covers our transport, but it doesn't mention anything about carrying firearms "on or about" the person.

Quote Originally Posted by LightningMcQueen784 View Post
    Hello all!

A couple of friends and I are planning on going to Knob Creek, KY this weekend, and is wondering whether OH has a peaceable journey law. I know KY and WV both have reciprocity with PA, but OH doesn't.

If OH has a peaceable journey law, we could take the most direct route, as long as we don't stop for anything but fuel. If OH does not have a peaceable journey law, then we probably can't/won't go through OH. Then we will have to spend an extra hour on the road, and go through WV and be perfectly legal all the way knowing our LTCF's are recognized.

Can anyone shed some light on this matter please?

Thanks!
    Define "peaceable journey law".

You can carry in Ohio with a recognized CCW credential.

If you don't have a CCW credential, you can transit Ohio under the terms of the Federal Firearms Owners Protection Act (FOPA). As long as your firearms are unloaded (including magazines), cased and inaccessible to you, you will be fine. Find the provisions for FOPA, comply with them and you're good, CCW credential or not.
    Je suis Charles Martel.

Quote Originally Posted by LightningMcQueen784 View Post
    Hello all!

Thanks!
    The law you're referring to is Federal law, so you should be OK in Ohio. I haven't heard of Ohio disregarding it like some of the People's Republics to the east. It's discussed in detail in other threads on the site.

(Allegheny County)

From www.handgunlaw.us:
    Peacable Journey
    State laws concerning traveling through the state with a loaded firearm on you or in the vehicle without a permit. Some states allow for traveling through their state and keeping the firearm on you if you don't stop.
    So for example (from my understanding), to get from StateA to StateC, you have to pass through StateB:
    |A| --> |B| --> |C|
    You have a LTCF/CCW in A, and A&C have reciprocity, so you're legally allowed to possess and carry concealed in both states. If StateB has something along the lines of a "Peaceable Journey" law, you'd be allowed to carry the firearm as you're allowed to do so in both StateA (your origin) and StateB (your destination) as long as you don't stop for anything but fuel.

That means if I'm carrying in PA, going to KY, and I'm legally allowed to carry in PA and KY, that I can keep my firearm on me while driving through OH. That means I don't have to pull over before the OH boarder, unload and lock-up, drive through OH, stop as I enter KY, reload & holster.

I know I can just drive through WV instead, but that adds an hour to the already long trip. If we must unload and lock-up, we will. But I just want to find out whether I'm allowed to just keep driving through legally with a firearm on my person.

(Chester County)

Peaceful journey states are shown here.

OH does not appear to be amongst them so you have to use the Federal 18 USC 926A's prescribed carry method to traverse OH.
    IANAL

As Deanimator said, you can take the weapon through Ohio but you must separate the ammunition from the weapon and remove all rounds from the magazine. In Ohio weapon + loaded magazine equals loaded weapons even if the weapon is in the glove box and the (loaded) magazine is in the trunk. I say weapon because this includes pistols, rifles and shotguns. Even with an Ohio License to Carry a Concealed Handgun you can not have a rifle and loaded magazine in your vehicle. This also includes revolvers and speedloaders.

Also, I have a .45 caliber carbine that accepts 1911 magazines, If I am carrying my 1911 and have the carbine in the car, I am breaking Ohio law because the magazine would also fit the rifle. Stupid? yes, but I am not risking running into a cop who doesn't like weapons who wants to jam me up. When I go to the range I never take both unless I unload all of my 1911 magazines.

(Allegheny County)

Ah ha! ... well, that answers the question..... guess we'll have to talk over whether we want to unload and go through OH, or spend the extra hour going through WV.

Thanks, everyone!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast