Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Is there any way this could be pinned/welded?

I ordered a 14.5" upper from CDNN that is supposed to be pinned and welded. There are some guys talking over on ARf that their pin/weld jobs may not be cutting it (on pg 14):
    https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/Re...47092/?page=14

The only potential spot I see on mine is that small area of discoloration, and the crush washer is sanded flat in that spot, where you would assume the weld spot was sanded also. CDNN claims it is indeed pinned/welded and they all have the cleanest work they've ever seen. Btw this is on the left side of the barrel, not the bottom like you typically see.

What do you think? Send it back and don't take the chance? (Getting the work performed myself is cost prohibitive for the value of this upper).

(Clearfield County)

Default Re: Is there any way this could be pinned/welded?

If you're really worried about it try a wrench.

(Clinton County)

Worst case scenario if it's not pinned and welded it's almost the maximum allowed barrel length allowed for a pistol loaded in a vehicle in PA. Slap it on a pistol lower and get decent muzzle velocity, range and accuracy in a gun that you can pretty much leave loaded everywhere.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    μολ ν λαβέ
    What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms!

(Bucks County)

Who knew if you did a professional job it would be a bad thing? I am sure it is like they say but if you are worried take a stick welder and bugger the flashhider up. And make sure you get splatter all over the barrel too.

Not that I am implying that anyone should break any firearms laws.........But does anyone know of a case where it took a forensic BATF armorer to get a conviction (besides full auto of course)?

Do you want to remove the FH , or do you just want to know for sure it is P&W?

A shop I frequented got a great deal on some NOS USGI M4 barrels years ago. I drilled a 1/8 hole thru the FH at 6 o'clock and into the barrel about .05-.06 , inserted a hardened 1/8 dowel pin , and ever so carefully TIG'd it in place. I basically just melted the end of the pin , and purposely left the evidence in place.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    But does anyone know of a case where it took a forensic BATF armorer to get a conviction (besides full auto of course)?
    problem is that if it's not pinned and welded, all it will take is a vice block and a wrench.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Royinmontco View Post
    problem is that if it's not pinned and welded, all it will take is a vice block and a wrench.
    Was there a conviction?

(Lancaster County)

Looking at the fuzzy picture, Id say you have a very clean pin&weld. I have two Bushmaster 14.5" patrol carbines that the P&W is barely noticeable and looks alot like your CDNN. I'd say your good to go

(Erie County)

Do this, what one poster stated on the ARF thread;

If my uppers show up with likely weld spots then I don't want to rip them apart or risk damaging something by attempting to break free something that should be pinned. That's not why I bought PINNED AND WELDED uppers, CDNN!

In this event I intend to print my receipt and also a screen shot of the item's page and description. I will mail these to myself to establish a date and leave the envelope sealed in my records in case a lawyer ever needs something for my defense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    Who knew if you did a professional job it would be a bad thing? I am sure it is like they say but if you are worried take a stick welder and bugger the flashhider up. And make sure you get splatter all over the barrel too.

Not that I am implying that anyone should break any firearms laws.........But does anyone know of a case where it took a forensic BATF armorer to get a conviction (besides full auto of course)?
    Not a bad thing at all! Just was wondering if it was too good to be true. And totally agree the chances of getting convicted or even arrested are slim to none. But if I'm gonna go down for breaking NFA law, it better at least be something more fun than saving 1.5" barrel length!

Quote Originally Posted by abner13 View Post
    Do you want to remove the FH , or do you just want to know for sure it is P&W?

A shop I frequented got a great deal on some NOS USGI M4 barrels years ago. I drilled a 1/8 hole thru the FH at 6 o'clock and into the barrel about .05-.06 , inserted a hardened 1/8 dowel pin , and ever so carefully TIG'd it in place. I basically just melted the end of the pin , and purposely left the evidence in place.
    Want to know for sure it's P&W.

Quote Originally Posted by SgtRecon View Post
    Looking at the fuzzy picture, Id say you have a very clean pin&weld. I have two Bushmaster 14.5" patrol carbines that the P&W is barely noticeable and looks alot like your CDNN. I'd say your good to go
    Thanks! Good to know that. This is my first P&W barrel and all the pictures I've ever seen have been very apparent.

Quote Originally Posted by Gun View Post
    Do this, what one poster stated on the ARF thread;
    Yup I do have my receipt that clearly says "permanent FH install", so that's something at least.