Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Army Recruiter at School

Yesterday my son came home from school and we were going over his homework. I always check in his little assignment book to see what he had for the day. He didnt have any homework, so he started to explain all the activities they were doing in all his subjects as to why he didnt have any homework. Well, when he got to Social Studies he says "We had an Army recruiter in class for the period". That kinda struck me as slightly odd seeing as he is in 8th grade and the kids are 13 and 14 year olds. So I began to discuss it with him trying to find out more info. My first thought was that he was there for a few minutes to talk to the kids, not a big deal. He tells me the recruiter talked to them for the whole entire period (45 minutes) showed them a video about basic training, and had the kids asking him questions about whatever they wanted answered. This sort of irked me a little bit. Now I must say I am prior military ( Army ) and have no problem with anyone who wants to serve, including my son. I will never be one of those parents that disallow it like I have heard stories of. I do however think that this type of pitch should be alittle more age appropriate. Now I am starting to think, what if they do this every year? So when my son is old enough to enlist he will have many years of exposure to this? Maybe I am over thinking it. I just think that it seemed odd for the age group. what do you think?
    ~De-Animating the undead since '08~

(Berks County)

Default Re: Army Recruiter at School

I remember recruiters in school when I was in middle school as well as high school. They need to drum up interest somehwere. Having said that there is a very high probability that all such visits will be curtailed in the very near future if Obama wins today. From what I've heard when the camera isn't around he is almost as nice to the military as Clinton was.
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

(Lehigh County)

Really? You had recruiters in school in middle school?? Maybe it's not as odd as I thought then. I don't remember ever having them in school except at like a high school career day.

Where liberty is but a flickering flame in the distance., New Jersey

Children are exposed to millions of stimuli that help to direct their plans for the future every day. Think of the shows that glorify being a lawyer, a cop, a doctor, or any of a thousand other careers. Is it so wrong that teens get a positive message about the military in their formative years? Was the recruiter trying to get their mailing addresses or asking for their pledge to enlist when they are 17? I think education about military service should be part of any social studies class. I think students should see that Drill Sergants do not eat babies and beat children and that our men and women in uniform are not dumb brain dead baby killers as they are too often portrayed as.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by adymond View Post
    Children are exposed to millions of stimuli that help to direct their plans for the future every day. Think of the shows that glorify being a lawyer, a cop, a doctor, or any of a thousand other careers. Is it so wrong that teens get a positive message about the military in their formative years? Was the recruiter trying to get their mailing addresses or asking for their pledge to enlist when they are 17? I think education about military service should be part of any social studies class. I think students should see that Drill Sergants do not eat babies and beat children and that our men and women in uniform are not dumb brain dead baby killers as they are too often portrayed as.
    They don't?? I swear some of mine did .

But seriously you have very valid points.

We had them in highschool and I was all set to go, until I had some surgeries that nixxed me from being able to go (wont be able to finish basic)...and that was the end of that.

Where liberty is but a flickering flame in the distance., New Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by spabula View Post
    They don't?? I swear some of mine did .

But seriously you have very valid points.
    But now we have a kinder gentler Army. I remember when I enlisted hearing my dad and some of his buddies telling me about how the DI would pick the biggest meanest looking guy with a chip on his shoulder and basicly square up with him and beat him down on day one to establish dominance. Then I met the DIs and almost laughed about that. They are highspeed motherf_*_kers, but I couldn't see them doing that these days. I didn't even get to basic since I was told to go home from pre-basic because of surgery I had recently had, but I heard form some other guys about some funny punishments.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaos View Post
    We had them in highschool and I was all set to go, until I had some surgeries that nixxed me from being able to go (wont be able to finish basic)...and that was the end of that.
    ditto...and I'm fat now, rofl.
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

(Centre County)

Desperate times call for desperate measures.

He's recruiting for the next war in Iraq. The one that's coming from a premature withdrawl of troops when 'bama take office.

Those 8th graders will be just about the right age when it comes time to send them back in to fix up Obama's mistakes.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by billamj View Post
    I remember recruiters in school when I was in middle school as well as high school. They need to drum up interest somehwere. Having said that there is a very high probability that all such visits will be curtailed in the very near future if Obama wins today. From what I've heard when the camera isn't around he is almost as nice to the military as Clinton was.
    actually, Bill was pleasant, acknowledged our presence, thanked us for our service, and was sociable. Hillary, on the other hand, acted like we were servants
    The last thing I want to do is hurt you... but believe me, it's on the damned list.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast