Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Beauty is in the eye.....

of the beholder, they say. It's obvious most of us are brand loyal, me being one. What one person views as "gorgeous", to another appears "franken-gunish" to another. For example:
    A Ruger Super Redhawk

Some consider it beautiful. For me, I see it and think I just tasted a little of last nights' dinner.

The Taurus Raging Bull

My eyes cringe when viewing more than a second or two. The cylinder looks so small compared to rest of gun, with a cheesy billboard. Again, that's just me. Yours may be the bees' knees to you and that's fine.

Then there is the Colt. I'll use skyjerks' recent purchase of an Anaconda for example. They are pricey and very sought after by enthusiasts.

For me, the cylinder looks HUGE compared to rest of the gun, and trigger and trigger guard look undersized. The vented barrel looks "square-ish". To cover myself again, only my opinion. Some may view it alot differently and that is fine as well.

Finally, the S&W model 29.

I see it as perfection. Symetrical in every way. Others may consider it ugly as sin, and that's also fine.

My point is, how do we all see this so differently? Is it based purely on what we were raised on and accustomed to? I swear, so often I come across a poster putting a pic up of his newly aquired whatever believing it to be the Angelina Jolie of firearms, whereas all I see is Kathy Griffin. You?

Edit: for the record I don't own any of the above guns or any 44mag, so no dog in the fight here. Also, no offense intended.
    Last edited by QuakertownRich; April 25th, 2009 at 09:11 AM.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Beauty is in the eye.....

Quote Originally Posted by QuakertownRich View Post
    of the beholder, they say. It's obvious most of us are brand loyal, me being one. What one person views as "gorgeous", to another appears "franken-gunish" to another. For example:
    A Ruger Super Redhawk

Some consider it beautiful. For me, I see it and think I just tasted a little of last nights' dinner.

The Taurus Raging Bull

My eyes cringe when viewing more than a second or two. The cylinder looks so small compared to rest of gun. Again, that's just me. Yours may be the bees' knees to you and that's fine.

Then there is the Colt. I'll use skyjerks' recent purchase of an Anaconda for example. They are pricey and very sought after by enthusiasts.

For me, the cylinder looks HUGE compared to rest of the gun, and trigger and trigger guard look undersized. The vented barrel looks "square-ish". To cover myself again, only my opinion. Some may view it alot differently and that is fine as well.

Finally, the S&W model 29.

I see it as perfection. Symetrical in every way. Others may consider it ugly as sin, and that's also fine.

My point is, how do we all see this so differently? Is it based purely on what we were raised on and accustomed to? I swear, so often I come across a poster putting a pic up of his newly aquired whatever believing it to be the Angelina Jolie of firearms, whereas all I see is Kathy Griffin. You?

Edit: for the record I don't own any of the above guns or any 44mag, so no dog in the fight here. Also, no offense intended.
    Me, i think it's kinda like how we pick our women. We all like different features---it is what makes the world go round---just think how boring it'd be if we all liked the same things---what the hell would we argue about?

Me, i've never been much of a wheel gun fan. So, none of the pictures you posted really apeal to me. But, of the ones you did post, i like the colt the best.

(Luzerne County)

I started as a gun owner with a 22 rifle.v I later purchased a raven .25. then a Dan wesson 357. these two handgun purchases were based more on the price, then another reason. I was young and ad no one to advise me.

Later on I eventually had to sell that meager collection. When I could afford to start rebuilding my collection I still had no one to advise me. Because of this I have compiled a collection that includes an example of many of the common brands. I have done this in an attempt to find my favorite, or best for my shooting style. Thus far I have not found it. Yet I am unable to sell or trade any of them.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

If you're looking for true love, then the ultimate is a S&W Model 19, 4" barrel, target grips. Clasic. Of which there is no whicher.

Sure wish I had a good pic to post, but you'd all keep it.

Flash

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by QuakertownRich View Post
    of the beholder, they say. It's obvious most of us are brand loyal, me being one. What one person views as "gorgeous", to another appears "franken-gunish" to another.

[brevity snip]

When a question like this came up when I was a child, a wise friend of my father's would say, "That's what makes horse racing. If everybody liked and bet on the same horse, there would be no Kentucky Derby."

Even our taste, as in what we sense from our tongues, is different. In the days when education rather than lawsuit avoidance was part of the HS curriculum, part of the genetics unit was tasting phenylisothiocyanate (PTC) paper. The distribution of the PTC receptor gene is 1/4 dominant, 1/2 hybrid, 1/4 recessive. The recessives don't have a functional receptor. Everybody in class got a strip of PTC paper and touched it to their tongues. Approximately 3/4 of the class would cringe and make faces - the remaining quarter looked puzzled at the other 3/4's reaction.

I'm a PTC nontaster; I love some things that my wife finds extremely bitter. It's a matter of taste.
    Know your audience. Don't try to sell a Prius at a Monster Truck Rally.

(Westmoreland County)

I don't like the looks of the Ruger. The other 3 are fine with me. I do own an Anaconda and a Python. I could never find a S&W Model 29 when the prices were reasonable.

(Allegheny County)

That makes perfect sense. Take a look at the Hi-Point

Grip is very small in relation to the slide, my mind is not at peace looking at this.

Take the Glock 19. A little more balanced but something has always been a little "off" for me and I can never put my finger on it

Than Kahr appears to have a huge triggerguard compared to the body, however I really like that. Due to the "compact" design and the DAO trigger it needs more room to move. Add in a 1911 trigger and it would look nice

I was going to add in the XD and the M&P but I'm hungry. Maybe after breakfast.......

Talking Re: Beauty is in the eye.....

Last edited by ForwardAssist; April 26th, 2009 at 10:44 AM.

(Montgomery County)

Rich, you have got to get rid of that pic of Peter Griffin licking his boob . That freaks me out every time i read one of your posts. Please do us all a favor and make it go away--please

(Clarion County)

Quote Originally Posted by Guns4Fun View Post
    Rich, you have got to get rid of that pic of Peter Griffin licking his boob . That freaks me out every time i read one of your posts. Please do us all a favor and make it go away--please
    Creeps me out to....................!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast