Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Armstrong County)

Default What's your prefered sling for a M4 Carbine?

I'm looking for opinions at to prefered slings for an AR-15 or M4 Carbine.
    I don't know if I want single point or 2 point mounting.
    What type of slings are best for the 3 gun matches? Rifle, Shotty, Pistol
    I'm looking for suggestions.
    Thank You
    Ed
    FeedBack: https://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.p...ight=edstephan
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3790&dateline=1331561  797An OathKeeper and OC Activist, 1 of the 3%, Ed Stephan

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: What's your prefered sling for a M4 Carbine?

(Westmoreland County)

Avoid the single point slings. They are purpose built for vehicle borne infantry and do not stabilize the muzzle when the rifle is "slung".

The 3-point slings should work fine for 3-gun unless transition to the sidearm is required.

In a world of specialized "this and that", the two point carry strap is still a viable option.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by TonyF View Post
    Avoid the single point slings. They are purpose built for vehicle borne infantry and do not stabilize the muzzle when the rifle is "slung".

The 3-point slings should work fine for 3-gun unless transition to the sidearm is required.

In a world of specialized "this and that", the two point carry strap is still a viable option.
    So what does one do when they need a side-arm transition? Like this...

Join the CHAT! Http://www.pa-zrt.com

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by TonyF View Post

got a good link or explanation to properly deploying the 2 point carry strap?

I have seen some complicated looking contraptions where you move buckels and such. Working the gun seems like enough of a task I wouldnt want to deal with 20 diff options and weird manuvers to deploy a sling if there is good simple way to use a more traditional tool.

I am in the process of changing my middy setup for a defensive carbine, and simple, effective sling is among the things I need to learn about.

(Beaver County)

I use a single point sling for my IPSC rifle, since it is mostly used for carrying from one stage to the next. I do not use of the sling to stabilize the rifle while shooting. The targets are generally pretty close ( from 5 feet to 70 yds).

I haven't shot any 3-gun matches, can't really give info on that. But my understanding is that you transition from one to another by putting in a box and picking up the other, instead of carrying all 3 guns while manuvering down range. Make sense?

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by FireGS View Post
    So what does one do when they need a side-arm transition?

There are several ways of transitioning to the sidearm with a 2-point sling.

It would take several hours to compose a detailed written explanation that would make sense and since there are safety issues involved, I don't think it's an appropriate topic for discussion.

I ordered the blue force VCAS (vickers combat application sling) it's about 50 bucks.

From the reviews I've read on ar15.com, m4c and elsewhere it's pretty much what everyone's been asking for and now raving about. It's adjustable on the fly and there's no loose material before/after adjusting.

The company that makes the redi-mag also has something that looks wicked similar for about 20-30 bucks.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post
    got a good link or explanation to properly deploying the 2 point carry strap?
    No link and this is another issue that would take hours to explain.

I have seen some complicated looking contraptions where you move buckels and such. Working the gun seems like enough of a task I wouldnt want to deal with 20 diff options and weird manuvers to deploy a sling if there is good simple way to use a more traditional tool.
    "Complicated Contraptions" sums it up well in regard to some of the modern sling designs on the market today.

I am in the process of changing my middy setup for a defensive carbine, and simple, effective sling is among the things I need to learn about.
    Then just stick with a 2-point for the time being.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by roland View Post
    I use a single point sling for my IPSC rifle, since it is mostly used for carrying from one stage to the next. I do not use of the sling to stabilize the rifle while shooting. The targets are generally pretty close ( from 5 feet to 70 yds).

I haven't shot any 3-gun matches, can't really give info on that. But my understanding is that you transition from one to another by putting in a box and picking up the other, instead of carrying all 3 guns while manuvering down range. Make sense?
    Roland,

I may have caused some confusion. I'm not familiar with 3-gun matches and I just assumed that it perhaps involved transitioning from the long gun to the sidearm in some of the stages.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast