Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default SIG, Glock, or Beretta?

Hey all, I recently got my next handgun permit approved (as I am unfortunately a legal resident of New Jersey and my police chief has graciously decided I am "allowed" to have another handgun).

I own a Glock 22 now (.40 cal). I'm looking for a 9mm and I am torn between what I consider three beautiful firearms. A SIG P226, a Beretta 92FS and a Glock 17. I've fired all of these guns before, but only used the SIG one time a month or two ago. I Conceal Carry often (Florida Permit) so I am taking that into consideration when making my choice. Right now I am torn. I was wondering if anyone had any input that could help me. I know it's whatever feels right for me, but really...I can't decide I am really hung up on it.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

EDIT: I just wanted to say that the reason I am a NJ resident but live in Bryn Mawr is because I am a Villanova University Student. 80% of the school are from places like NJ and NY that hate freedom. I spend 10 months out of the year in PA, and it's sad that I am not a PA resident...but for a myriad of financial and insurance reasons I couldn't tell my mom I was changing my residence because I wanted to "buy more guns". Trust me, the first chance I get to grab a decent job in PA, I'll be here with all of you in a state that can actually be considered part of the United States of America.
    Last edited by amagi; December 20th, 2009 at 12:41 AM.

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: SIG, Glock, or Beretta?

Wow, those are three great choices. I prefer Glocks because they are comfortable in my hands. You can't go wrong with any of them. If I were to pick for you, I would say Glock 19 instead of the 17, but my vote order would be Glock, Sig then the Beretta. The 92fs is pretty heavy for concealed carry, but many do carry it.

(York County)

sig, sig, sig sig sig sig extremely reliable, extremely accurate, easy to use, many configurations, can shoot single,or double action. But, only you will know if the sig "just feels right" in your hand.

i would say Sig 226, 228 or 229. even better, i would buy it in 40S&W and get a conversion barrel

if you want the exact same Glock in 9mm, just buy a conversion barrel and a few mags. G22 and G17 are otherwise identical.

i think the Beretta 92 is a decent pistol, but terribly size inefficient and unnecessarily difficult to manipulate the controls and shoot if you have medium to small hads

(Allegheny County)

From what I've heard Glock .40 to 9mm conversions are not that bad at all... so I'd say if you want another firearm, why not try the Sig or Beretta? You could always just get the barrels and mags for your G22 and convert it to a 9mm

(Philadelphia County)

sig all day
    Glock 22 Sig 220west G kimber c2 Dan wesson 357 Sig 229 9mm

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by LightningMcQueen784 View Post
    From what I've heard Glock .40 to 9mm conversions are not that bad at all... so I'd say if you want another firearm, why not try the Sig or Beretta? You could always just get the barrels and mags for your G22 and convert it to a 9mm
    ^^^^
    yeah, no need for a new gun or permission to go 9mm. barrel and mags will do for your GLOCK.

but, you say you CC often, on a FL permit, but live in NJ ??? Im assuming you mean you leave your state often then ?

ETA: re-reading and seeing you have your loaction listed as being in PA leaves me even more confused.
    Why do you stay a NJ resident? esp if you live in PA ? my head hurts.

(Monroe County)

Sig then Beretta.

Then A pocket knife

Then Glock

I found both triggers to be terrible to me so the triggers are on a scale to me.. The Glock was a crisper suck and the XD was a more mushy suck. They are in the same family, SR9 (heavy suck), Glock (crisp heavy suck), XD( lighter mushy suck), M&P(heavy mushy suck).

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by amagi View Post
    I own a Glock 22 now (.40 cal). I'm looking for a 9mm and I am torn between what I consider three beautiful firearms
    Sorry but that's like talking about Barbara Streisand, Bette Middler, and Nancy Pelosi and saying "they're three beautiful women and I can't decide which one to date." To be fair, Middler might be fun to be around.

They are functional handguns. Calling them beautiful is like calling a Fieseler Storch a beautiful airplane, it's functional. The P-51 is a beautiful airplane as well as functional.

The Browing Grande Puissance (Browning High Power to most of you) is a beautiful handgun and, like the P-51, it combines functionality with its beauty.

That said, if you're stuck with those three choices, buy the Beretta. Why? First, I haven't cared for Sigs since Browning came out with the BDA .45. Next, if I bought a Tuppertoy gun, JMB would rise from the grave and haunt me. Actually, I owned one when they first came out and JMB visited me in my sleep and put a hex on it. That leaves you with the Beretta. I have a 92D and it always works and, besides, Beretta has given me a ton of free stuff over the years.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post
    ^^^^

but, you say you CC often, on a FL permit, but live in NJ ??? Im assuming you mean you leave your state often then ?

ETA: re-reading and seeing you have your loaction listed as being in PA leaves me even more confused.
    Why do you stay a NJ resident? esp if you live in PA ? my head hurts.

Unless I am mistaken, this young man is a full time student at Villanova University. BIG jersey and NY contingent there. Hope that eases the head!

On the guns, I say that you HAVE to shoot them a little more. Berettas and Sigs are AWESOME guns, but personally, after learning with a Glock, my mushy brain couldnt grasp the other triggers and controls, but thats me and I'm an idiot! Beretta is a big ass gun too, I mean really big, maybe too big. My vote would be get the 9mm conversion for the 22 (all you holsters will git too!) and spend the other money on a training course and ammo (and cheap drinks to ply slutty Nova chicks!).
    Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Amen. **PROUD III**

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast