Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: SBR AR Question

(Washington County)

Default SBR AR Question

Well I know and have the paper work to one of my lowers as an SBR.

I need to get the lower done first but Money is a little tight at the moment. I was wondering if it would be advisable to just replace the barrel I have in my Stag Arms 2TL. My only question is will the fact that my rifle is a left handed rifle matter to what barrel I have to get. I would like to go with a 12.5 or 14.5 1/7 twist barrel.

Any suggestions on what brands of barrels to get and where to buy them.

(Armstrong County)

Default Re: SBR AR Question

Hhmm damn good question?
    Im not a lefty, but i have never thought about SBR'ing a Stag Lefty upper. Nor do i have an answer, but im stickin around this out of curiosity.

You may have to build one from a left-side upper from scratch.
    the barrel type/brand should not matter. Email Stag and see what they have to say. The may even make you a short barrel.

but dont take that as a deffinate answer.

(Montgomery County)

I don't think there is a problem with your upper being left handed version. A barrel should just drop right in. I believe what you want to check, is the head spacing, which I've heard should not be an issue. Any barrel should work. Like netion, see if Stag will make a custom barrel for you.

Check the classifieds here and on ar15.com for your desired length barrel.

(Allegheny County)

The fact that it's a Lefty shouldn't really matter at all. Any barrel should work. As mentioned, all you need to worry about is the headspacing.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Washington County)

Stag got back to me

Mr_Anderson,

You will need a left handed upper and bolt carrier along with an ambi-barrel extension on your barrel. We do offer 11.5” and 14.5” barrels with the ambi extension on them. We will need a copy of your NFA paperwork stating you can have a short barreled rifle before we can ship them to you. If you have any further questions please contact us again.

David

Stag Arms

860-229-9994
    so they are saying I will need an Ambi Barrel extension. what is the barrel extension?

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Anderson View Post
    Stag got back to me

so they are saying I will need an Ambi Barrel extension. what is the barrel extension?
    Here's a crappy picture of a standard barrel extension. It's also the only visible part of the barrel extension you can see on a fully assembled upper.

http://www.del-ton.com/AR_15_Barrel_...n_p/bp1033.htm

It is the part that the bolt seats into when it goes into battery.

It threads onto the barrel, thats how you adjust for headspacing and it also has a little dowel pin that matches a small slot on the upper receiver, they act together to time the barrel properly with the bolt.

I also just looked at my room mates left hand stag and the barrel extension does not look any different than a standard one. I dropped his bcg into my AR and my bcg into his. Both scenarios, the bolt slipped right into place just fine but they didn't turn and lock since they are not compatible (left and right hand bolts in the opposite uppers). I don't think you will have a problem with any reputable new barrel assembly. Never hurts to ask whomever you are getting the barrel from if it's compatible with a lefty. I feel they should know if they are selling the product. Also if you're looking for a 1/7 twist, check out BCM or if ya got the $$ look into Noveske. Just my two cents.

Good luck and make sure to wait for your approved form 1 to show up before bringing home the shorty barrel...
    Last edited by bleaman225; December 22nd, 2009 at 12:27 PM.

(Northampton County)

You will need a left handed upper and bolt carrier along with an ambi-barrel extension on your barrel. We do offer 11.5” and 14.5” barrels with the ambi extension on them. We will need a copy of your NFA paperwork stating you can have a short barreled rifle before we can ship them to you. If you have any further questions please contact us again.
    F them! Don't put a copy of your F1/F4 in their file cabinet. Right now that is protected info that nobody can get. It's probably the only private thing you have left in your life.