Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Tioga County)

Default Rumor from work question

I haven't seen this proposed any place yet but it could happen. The rumor is that the government is going to make reloading illegal. When I heard this I said that was probably BS as I haven't heard anything like that yet. Don't get me wrong I wouldn't put it pass the idiots to try this but I don't think it's happening yet. Has anybody else heard anything like this?

(Crawford County)

Default Re: Rumor from work question

I don't know anything about that, but I do recall reading an article in a gun mag a few years back concerning the possible legal issues on using reloaded ammunition for self defense purposes.

I can't recall the issue off the top of my head, but I believe it was something about reloaded ammunition can cause more damage than factory loads, leading to an increased chance of killing the target. Isn't that the whole point of shooting the bastard in the first place?
    "When I hit it, I expect it to fall the hell down and die!"

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by dodge View Post
    I haven't seen this proposed any place yet but it could happen. The rumor is that the government is going to make reloading illegal. When I heard this I said that was probably BS as I haven't heard anything like that yet. Don't get me wrong I wouldn't put it pass the idiots to try this but I don't think it's happening yet. Has anybody else heard anything like this?
    The only thing I could find on the subject is the following from 2009:

http://oligogracy.blogspot.com/2009/...sentation.html

(Franklin County)

No.

This would have to be way down on the liberal's list of things to do.

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by brsims View Post
    I don't know anything about that, but I do recall reading an article in a gun mag a few years back concerning the possible legal issues on using reloaded ammunition for self defense purposes.

I can't recall the issue off the top of my head, but I believe it was something about reloaded ammunition can cause more damage than factory loads, leading to an increased chance of killing the target. Isn't that the whole point of shooting the bastard in the first place?
    IIRC, that was some comment that that goofball Ayoob made some time ago, probably at the behest of some ammo manufacturer that he was on the payroll of.

Quote Originally Posted by 39flathead View Post
    IIRC, that was some comment that that goofball Ayoob made some time ago, probably at the behest of some ammo manufacturer that he was on the payroll of.
    People like to put words in Ayoob's mouth; here is what he actually says about self defense ammo:

1) Prosecutors have been known to try to convince a jury that you loaded up some "extra-deadly" ammo (or Harold Fish's "extra deadly" 10mm handgun that's "too powerful" for the FBI). A competent defense attorney should be able to counter it, probably with his own witness ($$).

2) Forensic evidence (e.g., ballistics, powder burns, how far away were you really?) should work in your favor in a justifiable shooting, but is pretty meaningless with hand-loaded ammo. You and your attorney may have some explaining/educating to do ($$).

Neither of these considerations are going to surely land you in prison, but these accusations are unlikely to come up if you use ammo commonly used by law enforcement -- you carry it for the same reason they do.

($$) As has been often asked around here: "How much justice can you afford?"

(Crawford County)

Quote Originally Posted by donm View Post
    People like to put words in Ayoob's mouth; here is what he actually says about self defense ammo:

1) Prosecutors have been known to try to convince a jury that you loaded up some "extra-deadly" ammo (or Harold Fish's "extra deadly" 10mm handgun that's "too powerful" for the FBI). A competent defense attorney should be able to counter it, probably with his own witness ($$).

2) Forensic evidence (e.g., ballistics, powder burns, how far away were you really?) should work in your favor in a justifiable shooting, but is pretty meaningless with hand-loaded ammo. You and your attorney may have some explaining/educating to do ($$).

Neither of these considerations are going to surely land you in prison, but these accusations are unlikely to come up if you use ammo commonly used by law enforcement -- you carry it for the same reason they do.

Yeah, that sounds somewhat familiar to what I think I read....I put it down because even then (this was well before I bought my first gun and started learning) I couldn't see how a hand load was more deadly than a factory load.

Having a hole suddenly appear in a vital area is a BAD THING, as I understand it. Doesn't seem to matter how fast the object that caused the hole was going at the time. A blade can kill just as fast as an arrow, which can kill just as fast as a bullet. It's not the speed of the strike, but where the strike lands....
    "When I hit it, I expect it to fall the hell down and die!"

(Montgomery County)

It's already illegal to grow certain plants in your own backyard, and then consume them in your own property for your own use.

It's already illegal to distill your own alcohol in your own house, and then consume it on your own property for your own use.

Why shouldn't it be illegal to load your own ammo on your own property for your own use?

When it's applicable to one loss of a freedom - it's often going to be just one more encroachment away from a right that's precious to you.

Standing your ground on this one issue is admirable, but when all the other ground has been taken away, sooner or later you realize all you've got left is an island.

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by donm View Post

So he said just what I said he said.
    You could run into possible legal problems using reloads.

Thanks for clearing it up.

Ayoob is also a boob for telling people to put their LTCF along with their license when they get stopped.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by dosequis View Post
    It's already illegal to grow certain plants in your own backyard, and then consume them in your own property for your own use.

It's already illegal to distill your own alcohol in your own house, and then consume it on your own property for your own use.

Why shouldn't it be illegal to load your own ammo on your own property for your own use?

When it's applicable to one loss of a freedom - it's often going to be just one more encroachment away from a right that's precious to you.

Standing your ground on this one issue is admirable, but when all the other ground has been taken away, sooner or later you realize all you've got left is an island.

I agree with everything you said, but you forgot the yard sale/ lemonade stand bans and or fines lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast