Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: AP 9

(Philadelphia County)

Default AP 9

Does any one have any experience with this pistol as far as reliability price accuracy? Thanks
    Glock 22 Sig 220west G kimber c2 Dan wesson 357 Sig 229 9mm

(Indiana County)

Default Re: AP 9

Company is out of business. Parts supply is more than likely problematic.

Reliability is iffy. Some worked, some didn't, just like it's brother from another mother, the Tec-9. I took one in on trade when I was a dealer, the guy suckered me and I had to have it repaired, a plastic thing-a-ma-bob in the trigger was broke. That was when they were still in production and the part was available.

Price?
    I think it was a few shows ago, but I seem to recall one at the Greensburg Sweatbox O'rama with a asking price of $550. Wayyy too high IMO for a gimmick gun of questionable quality and usefulness. I would figure $350 to be more reasonable.

IMO, when a gun that is no longer produced, or that wasn't produced for a very long time, parts become scarce and in the case of breakage, you will need to find a really talented gunsmith to fabricate a part, or you will have a nice paperweight.

If you are looking for a "fun" gun, maybe try a MAC type gun. They can still have their problems, but at least there are parts out there for them, I think MPA still makes them.

(Philadelphia County)

Thanks flathead.
    Glock 22 Sig 220west G kimber c2 Dan wesson 357 Sig 229 9mm

(Lancaster County)

Flathead answered it well, the main problems I've seen is the lower receivers are brittle and a lot of then crack at the front pin or mag well area.
    They are fun to shoot and can be accurate but I'd take a TEC9 or MAC clone over one of these, unless you want it as a collectors type thing.

(York County)

the AP9 is an upgrade on the tec9. it has fire control group housed in a sheet metal tray, rather than just pinned in seperate pieces in the plastic lower. it is therefore more reliable than a tec9.

classic arms recently came upon a stack of plastic lowers and blew them out for $25 each. i had bought AP9 uppers from police demils for mating with tube gun parts kits like suomi, so picked up a few of the lowers. snapped one together and it ran just fine.

in ex condition AP9 bring $350. the parts kits i bought for $100-150 are worth more to me as basis for custom sub guns than as $350 pistols.

(Philadelphia County)

If the frame is your concern, Classic Arms has them for $25 each, 3 for $50, 10 for $125... You get the idea.