Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Why Don't You Belong to the NRA?

I read here recently that something like 7 or 17 percent of gun owners in PA don't belong to the NRA. I forget the specific number but we know for a fact that only a minority (small at that) belong to the NRA nationwide.

If you don't belong, you must have your reasons. We don't need to debate them but I'm curious why you won't join.

I first joined in the 60's and was a member through my Navy service. Afterwards, I started a company and stopped doing anything much more than work for years. I got away from the things I enjoyed as a kid which is why when I hit 62 years old, I decided it was time to renew those old pleasures of shooting, fishing, and hunting. And, one of the first things I did was join the NRA and find places like PAFOA. When I learned about GOA, I joined it too. For me, it was an easy decision to support these two organizations.

But, that's me. If you don't belong, you have a good reason(s). Want to share?

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Why Don't You Belong to the NRA?

I don't get how you can be a gunowner and not be a member, dues are a box or two of ammo, or a price gouged PMag.
    May not be perfect or reflect all your personal views, some say too compromising, some say not enough. In the end though they are the 300 lb gorilla on the hill.
    NRA for life.

I am a LIFE member of the NRA. If every gun owner does not get engaged and fight for their rights we all will lose them. This is just the first shot of attacks after attacks on The NRA and lawful gun owners! It will not end until they get guns banned.
    I also belong to Gun Owners of America!

Write, Call, E-mail, Protest!

Support with your dollars companies who support the 2nd amendment!

Once the 2nd amendment is gone we won't get it back.

(Bucks County)

My wife & I are both proud members, we have never understood why there are so many that expect the NRA to lead the fight but not willing to even put up the small amount of money it takes to be NRA members
    Jesus is Lord !

(Chester County)

i do

i just got my "3 year extension" NRA knife

(Bucks County)

Okay. So we know why four people do belong. Is everyone a member here? That's highly unlikely. I promise there will be no public whippings. This is one old guy just trying to understand something. I'll even make a promise to collate all the reasons and send them to the NRA. If one of us doesn't belong it stands to reason that hundreds of others out there might feel the same exact way. Maybe the NRA can make the necessary changes to change those hundreds of minds.

(Beaver County)

I've been a life member for about 20 years or so. Ted Nugent's zany antics caused me to distance myself from the organization for some time. His public rantings that Hillary Clinton could "suck his Glock" and his kind-of-sort-of-but-that's-not-what-I-really-meant threats toward President Obama, among other things, may play well to some but they do not to me. He sits on the NRA board and is high profile at the conventions, so he is one of the better known faces of the NRA. His mug frequently graces the pages of their publications. I don't care to be associated with him at all.
    The recent push for restrictive legislation has brought me "back into the fold" to help with the legislative battle. I won't, however, return to my previous level of involvement and donating until Nugent is no longer associated with the organization.

(Berks County)

Life member. They stick up for my rights and keep me apprised of the sneakiness that is the US/PA Government.
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

(Montgomery County)

Your best bet is to do a search for threads that have discussed this ad nausium.

Some of the common complaints are: too much junk mail, they sold us out on X legislation, they didn't do enough during X lawsuit, they pay their execs too much, etc., etc.

I am a member, BTW, and realize that they aren't perfect, but they are more powerful than all other orgs combined. When you see a leftist, POS politician whining on TV about some gun-related issue, they always mention the NRA.
    You can never have enough horsepower or ammunition.

(Butler County)

Active member here...the junk mail is a small price to pay for what the NRA helps protect.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast