Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Theoretical "purchase" question

I have a friend who is interested in purchasing a rifle from the local sporting goods store. As luck would have it, that store will not honor my friend's drivers license because his current address is different than the one on his driver's license, even though he has an official "change of address" form. My friend's address listed on his driver's license is his parent's house, where he used to live, and he could technically still reside there if he wanted to. Since this store is the only one around right now with the exact rifle my friend wants, would it be fraudulent for him to purchase the rifle using his driver's license with his parent's address (his old address) and simply fill out the paperwork with that address and phone number?

Default Re: Theoretical "purchase" question

IANAL, but yes that would be fraudulent. Is it that hard to go down to a PENNDot center and have them print him a new one? It should only take $20 and 10 minutes of his time.

That's idiotic but I guess they can refuse a sale if they want. I've recently bought five guns from three different shops and gotten my LTCF from the sheriff, all using my change of address card from PennDOT. When they call in for the PICS check, certainly PSP matches up the address with the D/L #.

(Philadelphia County)

I just purchased a firearm with a change of address card as well.

Tell your "friend" (wink!) to bring his yellow change of address card, as well as a few months utilities with the current address.

If the shop won't honor, I suggest you bring your business somewhere else.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

Thanks for all the information. This shop absolutely does not honor the yellow change of address form. It sounds like the best choice is to wait for a new driver's license with updated address.

(Montgomery County)

I disagree with the above. The best action is not to reward the shop and their absurd refusal by denying them business. Find a local FFL and buy one online or find another shop. Vote with your dollars, it is the most effective democracy.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

Quote Originally Posted by Last Resort View Post
    Thanks for all the information. This shop absolutely does not honor the yellow change of address form. It sounds like the best choice is to wait for a new driver's license with updated address.
    I have bought many guns with the change of address form.

Indeed, the OP should advise his friend to take his business elsewhere if they do not honor state issued identification.

oops, I seem to have misplaced my Driver's License...guess I should go get a duplicate.

Seeing you're in Pittsburgh, you have MANY options. I'd be very surprised if you couldn't find a decent shop that had the same thing.

where all has he looked?

(Lehigh County)

The change of address card along with the valid picture I.D. is all you need to legally purchase a firearm. Either the change of address is wrong, out of date or they just do not want to sell him a gun for whatever reason and this is the excuse they gave.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast