Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Detroit (but Pittsburgh is always home), Michigan

Default Col. Cooper: Double action -- ingenious solution to non-existent problem?

In my searches of the Internets for information on firearms, I keep running across people who make reference to the late Col. Cooper. One quotation that keeps popping up is the Colonel's saying that a double-action auto is an "ingenious solution to a non-existent problem". Unfortunately, no one seems to go much beyond that, they usually just quote him and move on to something else. Can someone explain to me why he thought this was the case? (What was the context in which he was speaking?)

Thanks.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Col. Cooper: Double action -- ingenious solution to non-existent problem?

My guess would be the "safety" of a heavy, double action trigger as opposed to the "hair trigger" associated with a single action in it's "ready to fire" state.
    Since I'm a DAO owner and not a follower of all things 1911, that's my best guess. I'm sure others will correct me if I'm wrong.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Berks County)

Default Re: Col. Cooper: Double action -- ingenious solution to non-existent problem?

The "Internets"... hehe.

It was well known that Col. Cooper was a big fan of the 1911, and heavily advocated it's use. My interpretation of his quote is as follows; take it FWIW. If I can find supporting information, I'll post it.

The "non-existent problem" he refers to is some people's perception of the lack of safety of single-action platforms like the 1911. Col. Cooper long held the belieft that with the proper training and a properly maintained SA pistol (like the 1911), it is as safe as any other handgun when carried in Condition 1 (cocked and locked). In addition, there's a potential for greater accuracy because of the lighter trigger.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Allegheny County)

Is there an echo in here?

I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post

Great minds think alike.
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."

-John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

Detroit (but Pittsburgh is always home), Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by ChamberedRound View Post
    The "Internets"... hehe.

It was well known that Col. Cooper was a big fan of the 1911, and heavily advocated it's use. My interpretation of his quote is as follows; take it FWIW. If I can find supporting information, I'll post it.

The "non-existent problem" he refers to is some people's perception of the lack of safety of single-action platforms like the 1911. Col. Cooper long held the belieft that with the proper training and a properly maintained SA pistol (like the 1911), it is as safe as any other handgun when carried in Condition 1 (cocked and locked). In addition, there's a potential for greater accuracy because of the lighter trigger.
    Is this why DAO pistols (or DA/SA) pistols were developed, the perceived safety issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post

No its just your immagination...
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by jkp1187 View Post
    Is this why DAO pistols (or DA/SA) pistols were developed, the perceived safety issue?
    Again, this is just my opinion, but likely Yes and No. I would say safety was the primary issue, but DA mechanisms were around in revolvers for a long time prior to semi-autos. So in some respects, it may have also just been a natural jump in thinking to say "hey, there's DA revolvers, why not a DA semi-auto too?". Makes perfect sense to try and apply a DA mechanism to a semi-auto.

Given that a SA semi-auto's action already cocks the hammer on every round but the first, it seems to me that all a DA/SA or DAO semi-auto (with a hammer) buys you is the "comfort" of being able to safely carry in Condition 2.
    -Charlton Heston

-John Quincy Adams

-Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by jkp1187 View Post
    In my searches of the Internets for information on firearms, I keep running across people who make reference to the late Col. Cooper. One quotation that keeps popping up is the Colonel's saying that a double-action auto is an "ingenious solution to a non-existent problem". Unfortunately, no one seems to go much beyond that, they usually just quote him and move on to something else. Can someone explain to me why he thought this was the case? (What was the context in which he was speaking?)

Thanks.
    Let me elaborate: Jeff Cooper was wrong about a lot of things.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by MarcS View Post
    Let me elaborate: Jeff Cooper was wrong about a lot of things.
    All due respect, Marc, we're not discussing whether he was right or wrong. We're discussing why we think that he felt the way he did, regardless of whether he's right or not.
    -Charlton Heston

-John Quincy Adams

-Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast