Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default Shell plate madness Hornady LnL #6,#8,#45

Because of the feeding frenzy, these shell plates are unobtanium! I am a mechanical engineer with a machine shop and CNC equipment, so I want to reverse engineer the shell plates for common pistol calibers (45acp, 9mm, 380, 10mm) and reproduce them on my equipment. The only problem is that I only have the #45 shell plate to gather dimensions from. If someone here could make measurements of their #6, #8, and #10 shell plates for the Hornady Lock N Load AP EZ ject press, I will reproduce them! I primarily need the dimensions for the case head pockets. The new plates will be made from 303 stainless steel so that they will not require plating.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Shell plate madness Hornady LnL #6,#8,#45

Quote Originally Posted by newbie308 View Post
    Because of the feeding frenzy, these shell plates are unobtanium! I am a mechanical engineer with a machine shop and CNC equipment, so I want to reverse engineer the shell plates for common pistol calibers (45acp, 9mm, 380, 10mm) and reproduce them on my equipment. The only problem is that I only have the #45 shell plate to gather dimensions from. If someone here could make measurements of their #6, #8, and #10 shell plates for the Hornady Lock N Load AP EZ ject press, I will reproduce them! I primarily need the dimensions for the case head pockets. The new plates will be made from 303 stainless steel so that they will not require plating.
    The #45 shell plates are complete, and I will have the #8 shell plates done in about a week. For anyone interrested, the final price is $66 each + $5.80 shipping (USPS small flat rate box). I will combine shipping for more than one shell plate. I used 4140 steel for these, and they are hardened. The 303 stainless was too soft.

(Beaver County)

As awesome as it is to have someone making these things with them being so hard to obtain, I would be very careful in doing this. IANAL, but there may be something with a trademark or patent issue with you making and selling them. I'd hate to see you get a suit filed against you by Hornady for making their plates and selling them without their permission. On the other hand, if you already have their permission, awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by flyingjunkie View Post
    As awesome as it is to have someone making these things with them being so hard to obtain, I would be very careful in doing this. IANAL, but there may be something with a trademark or patent issue with you making and selling them. I'd hate to see you get a suit filed against you by Hornady for making their plates and selling them without their permission. On the other hand, if you already have their permission, awesome!
    IANAL but would agree with this statement. And you are not helping by charging double what Hornady does. If one does this, I would think they would want to stay off the radar

Great idea.....but be careful.
    The USA is now a banana republic. Only without the bananas....or the Republic.