Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Looking to carry

I'm just looking for some advice and opinions on this one. I have a Beretta 92FS that I bought. It is pretty much the only pistol I "wanted." I love it but it is too big to carry. I am looking for a smaller but not too small gun to carry. I was looking at the glocks but I think I want a small revolver. I really like the S&W Airweight and the Ruger LCR. Can anyone steer me in the right direction or maybe give me some other ideas? I like these because there is no external hammer and they seem like they would conceal nice IWB with just a t-shirt.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Looking to carry

What makes it "too big to carry"? IIRC the berettas are pretty slim like a 1911, a good pancake type hoster and it will carry it close to the body and shouldn't be an issue. I carry a full sized 45 with me all the time. Now, I am no little guy but it's not typically an issue for me all that much because I am mostly openly carrying it and not trying to conceal. But even when I cc it's not a huge issue, depended on clothing choices. I got a small "carry" gun and I shot like crap with it. So it sits in the drawer and never even comes to the range with me anymore, no sense in carrying something I can't hit anything with I always suggest that people carry the firearm they are most proficient and comfortable with and find a way to make it work.

(Berks County)

Consider a Commander or Officer's size 1911.

(Chester County)

Well I think I will carry the beretta in a shoulder holster over the cold season when I can wear jackets or hooded sweatshirts and stuff but what about in the warm weather? I'm 5'9" about 175 and trying to conceal a beretta might be tough during the summer for me. That is why I was thinking of a small revolver. I want to wear an IWB type carry and I dont know what will be a tolerable carry without being too uncomfortable. I dont want people to know I am carrying so I need concealment. I just dont want to carry a cannon with me. I dont want to ever be in the situation to need it but if I ever did I think a .38 would be fine. I have shot a few and at 10-15 yards I'm confident in my accuracy.

(Lehigh County)

I carry a keltec pf9 in a pocket holster or hopfully with the clip I just ordered. It is a 9mm and 1 can keep it all body shots 6-10 ft away. Very concealable and not expensive.

(Venango County)

Comfort doesn't really have much to do with the overall size, IMO

biggest factor is a good holster

My crossbreed Supertuck is very comfy concealing my Full Size Glock....24/7/365

I can;t say that I would never buy another holster, but with this one I don't see a need to do so.

Glock Pistols.......So simple a Caveman could fix them!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCatRider View Post
    I am looking for a smaller but not too small gun to carry. I was looking at the glocks but I think I want a small revolver. I really like the S&W Airweight and the Ruger LCR. Can anyone steer me in the right direction or maybe give me some other ideas? I like these because there is no external hammer and they seem like they would conceal nice IWB with just a t-shirt.
    If you're looking for a smaller gun for CC, I don't think you could go wrong with the S&W airweights. S&W has a great reputation. I have a Taurus 85, which is about the same weight/size as the S&W airweights, and it is literally able to fit in a pocket (with a holster of course). I picked up a cheap IWB holster for the M85, but I've never used it since it is incredibly easy to pocket carry.

For now, I'd stick to the S&W. Ruger JUST came out with the LCR a little over a month ago IIRC. Let them work out the kinks before you buy one.

IMO you can conceal something a little larger than those tiny revolvers IWB, even during the summer. I have the compact (middle-size) Glock 19 and that is pretty easy to conceal IWB during the summer. Granted, I'm a bigger guy, but I still don't see it being that difficult. Type/quality of holster makes a big difference.

(Northampton County)

I carry either a Beretta PX4 or a Glock 27. THe PX4 is obviously larger but conceals well with the right holster. The g27 is easier to conceal due to its size but still requires the right holster for CC. If I had to buy 1 gun to replace both I'd probly look along the lines of a Glock23.

I'm probly not the best example though cause I carryied open till I got my LTCF and now dont worry about CC a lot.
    Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.JFK

(Allegheny County)

I was in the exact same situation. Tried to cc my 92 a couple of times it just wasn't that comfortable to me so I decided I needed a smaller gun. I ve settled on a Ruger SP101 with a spurless hammer. It is small enough for easy concealment and im getting it in 357. If you are thinking of getting a 38 and you don't mind spending just a little more go with 357 and if you think its too much for you then just load it with 38 or 38+p

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by sweeper84 View Post
    I ve settled on a Ruger SP101 with a spurless hammer. It is small enough for easy concealment and im getting it in 357. If you are thinking of getting a 38 and you don't mind spending just a little more go with 357 and if you think its too much for you then just load it with 38 or 38+p
    Most people say that the SP101 is too heavy to pocket carry. If you're getting the SP101 with the intention of carrying IWB, then you'll be fine. I handled one before I got my Taurus Model 85, and the weight difference is huge. I can't imagine pocket carrying a SP101.

Just pointing that out. If it's IWB you want, then definitely consider the SP101 and other 357s,

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast