Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Blair County)

Default Lauer Custon AR Lowers

Does anyone have any experience with Lauer Custom lowers?

Here's why I ask, I'm looking to build an SBR. All of my current ARs are on RRA lowers. While I'm happy with RRA, I want something different to help insure that I don't inadvertently put a shorty upper on the wrong lower. Yes, this is unlikely, but one of my life goals is to stay out of prison, so I want the extra fail-safe.

The reason I'm looking at Lauer is that you can get them to do the required engraving, before they send it to you, so you don't have to fool with it later. I haven't found anyone else willing to do that.

Opinions?
    PREPARE FOR BATTLE

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Lauer Custon AR Lowers

What do you mean by "custom"?

I have two stripped Lauer Lowers that will be build once the snows come and I'm bored. They are considered one of the best out there. Made my LMT. One of mine will be made into a light weight 16" for the baby's mother and one will be a SBR - thinking around 10" but still undecided.

(Blair County)

Thanks, philly.

I thought "Lauer Custom Weaponry" or some such was the name of the company. Not a "custom" lower, but their standard lower. Sorry, I may have been unclear. We're talking about the same thing.

What

I'm going to build a 10.5 gun. I've got all of the parts ordered right now execpt the reciever and the barrel. I've spent a lot of time with a 14.5" gun, and there's just not that much difference to a non SBR 16"er. I've also seen a couple of 7.5 inch guns. The only one I liked had a heavy barrel. The one with a light barrel, well, the balance was just too wierd.

The only other length I really considered was the 12.5 inch Noveske barrel, but they are somewhat more difficult to come by.

Anyway, thanks for the help.
    PREPARE FOR BATTLE

(Bucks County)

Actually you are correct and I misunderstood.

This is what I have:

http://www.ar15.com/lite/topic.html?b=7&f=21&t=339514

I too am leaning towards 10.5" - which upper did you go with? I need to do some digging before deciding.
    Last edited by phillyd2; November 18th, 2006 at 05:36 AM.

(Blair County)

I'm actually building everything. Here's my parts list and sources (it didn't quite transfer right from the spreadsheet):

Lower Reciever-Lauer-Lauer Custom Weaponry
    Upper Reciever-Larue A4 Stealth Billet-Denny's Guns
    Lower Parts Kit-CMT-Denny's Guns
    Charging Handle-PRI Gas Buster-Denny's Guns
    Bolt Carrier Group-Denny's M16 Super Duty-Denny's Guns
    Front Sight-PRI Rail Mounted-Denny's Guns
    Trigger Group-LMT 2 Stage-Denny's Guns
    Barrel-Noveske 10.5"-G&R Tactical
    Buffer-H2-G&R Tactical
    Stock Kit-Vltor Clubfoot-G&R Tactical
    EOTech-552-G&R Tactical
    Handguard-Larue 9"-Larue Tactical
    EOTech Mount-Larue-Larue Tactical
    Gas Block-Larue Low Profile-Larue Tactical
    Grip-Hogue-Brownells
    Vertical Fore Grip-Tango Down-Brownells
    Rail Covers-Ladder-Brownells
    Rear Sight-GG&G MAD-Already have it
    Gas Tube/Pin-Carbine Length-Unknown
    Forward Sling Point-MI-G&R Tactical
    Sling-Vickers Tactical-G&R Tactical

If price and time were truly no object, Wes at MSTN.biz would be building my upper. I looked at Noveske complete rifles, but they start at $2500, with no optics, and I would end up changing about $300 worth of what's on it anyway.

Larue Tactical had a promotion for their early customers that got you 20% off of their retail prices, so that helped out a lot.

If you are going with the Larue upper, the ones from Denny's Guns and MSTN have M4 feed ramps, the ones directly from Larue do not. I don't generally consider these a big issue, but I do want them on a shorty.

The only thing I don't have accounted for yet is the gas tube and pin, but I'll talk to G&R when I order my barrel. I have had very good experiences with G&R Tactical and Denny's Guns in the past.

I bought this stuff over a period of months, so I didn't get slapped with price shock all at once. I'll post some pictures when I get it together.

Philly, from your experience it sounds like the Lauer is good to go.
    PREPARE FOR BATTLE

(Bucks County)

Otto,

Sounds you are off to a hell of a start. I have a LE/Gov't Restricted Colt 6271 AR15 (back from when that meant something) but this will be my first build(s).

Like you I'm picking up parts over time after much research on AR15.com. The Lauer receivers were universally considered up there with Colt so I picked up two from www.rainierarms.com

I too am a fan of Denny's and got from him:

(2) = CMT / Stag Lower Parts Kit Complete (Stock# CMTLPKAR15)= $ 64
    (2) = CMT MIL SPEC M4 Buttstock Kit with H Buffer (Stock# CMTBSKH) = $ 88.95
    (3) = Butt Stock Pad for the M4 Buttstock (Stock# M4PAD) = 17.95
    (2) = Black ERGO Sure Grip AR Kit = $22.95

From www.BravoCompanyUSA.com:

(1) = Tool Pivot Pin Install Tool = $5.00
    (2) = Magpul Trigger Guard = $18.95
    (2) = Sling Mt End Plate RH05 = $11.95 (figured they would work as well as Daniels)

First up will be the 16" light weight followed by the SBR with a EOTech. I agree about the M4 feed ramps, thanks for the tip. Unlike you, I don't think I'm brave enough to assemble the uppers so I most likely will go with a complete upper - but you never know.

I've read that there was not much benefit of a Super Duty BCG for semi so I took that off the list. Why did you go with it?

Check out http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=25&t=285609 for single point slings. The finest I have seen and not just because my company makes the webbing. Jason sent me a few and they are great. Nice guy to deal with too.

BTW, do you know about this mod for the rear takedown detent spring: http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.htm...f=118&t=285950 I finally got the set screws and will be doing it on my new builds and the Colt.

(Blair County)

I've done everything before but mounting a barrel, so I don't think it will be too hard.

I've read a bunch of stuff about the Super Duty BCGs too, and here's my logic, it's only like $15 extra, compared to the $$$ I've already got in this project. I've got a MOACKS, so the staking isn't a big deal. I've never changed an ejector spring, so that might be a big deal. Maybe it's just extra insurance for a shorty. I've got another CMT BCG (for another gun) waiting when I get back stateside, I'll let you know if there is any real difference.

The biggest deal about the BCG is that, for a shorty, I do think the extra mass of an M16 carrier is worthwhile.

I had not seen the take down pin spring mod, interesting.

That sling looks nice, I've just never been able to comfortably use a single point sling. For some reason, the way my shoulders are, single points put all of the weight on my neck, not on my shoulders. I've used the Viking Tactics sling, and the Vickers seems like it might be an improvement on the same idea.
    PREPARE FOR BATTLE