Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Built by / Manufactured by?

If some one tells you thier complete upper w /BCG was "built" buy a manufacture w/ thier factory inspection attached & you asked them if the parts were manufactured by the same company and they said "factory built to milspec." WTF does that mean. Sounds like BS to me. Am I wrong or just
    a FNG.? Gut tells me I am getting set up.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Built by / Manufactured by?

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo Whiskey View Post
    If some one tells you thier complete upper w /BCG was "built" buy a manufacture w/ thier factory inspection attached & you asked them if the parts were manufactured by the same company and they said "factory built to milspec." WTF does that mean. Sounds like BS to me. Am I wrong or just
    a FNG.? Gut tells me I am getting set up.
    A lot of company's parts are actually manufactured by another company. I.E. There are only like 4 companies that actually manufacture lowers. Then companies like Stag, RRA, Spikes, etc buy them and put their info on it. Most AR parts are like that. Now, each retail company (Stag, RRA, etc) might have different QA requirements, so just because say CMT makes the lowers for 4 different companies, doesn't mean that they are all created equal.

milspec is just the "standard" that the military uses to purchase equipment.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Centre County)

milspec stands for Military Specifications. The military has specifictions for everything they order, down to the food served in the dining facilities. What this does is insures that everything will go together the same, no matter who they buy it from and that something bought today will fit with no or little adjustment needed even if it is going on a piece 25 years old. As such, milspec equipment doesn't necessarily have the tightest tolerances that could be used.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

Thanks guys , I am familiar w/ Mil-spec and how that type of system works. I am aware that ,Ithink, only 4 comps. make 90% of all ar lowers. I have read that the same one makes RRA & Stag which they complete themselves. I happen to own both brand lowers & I think the finish is slightly better on the RRA.
    I do not have a problem w/ any of that.
    My problem , besides being a newbie and in a hurry to build a few BR, I bid on what I thought was a LMT complete upper and parts kit.
    The add stated a complete upper built and tested by Lewis Machine & tool & has their inspection tag on it.
    When I asked I was told "All Mil spec Parts" Then I asked again. and was told built by LMT then I wanted to know who actual made the upper and BCG. I was told parts were RRA & the rest was Milspec.
    I spoke with a sales rep @ LMT today and anything with the LMT on it is made by them,they only build from their own parts.
    LMT does do a very limited amount of vender work, they will not say who (as it does not matter)but I was told that when they do this it is built to the vender 's spec and not LMT. Could be better may not be better but your not getting a LMT unit, So watch out for what I think are deceptive sales pitches.
    LMT folks were great to talk to and they did confirm 9 months + for delivery.

Alcoa, the truck wheel people, machine a LOT more items than you think. lowers and uppers included. they do a TON of work on a TON if items. from salt and pepper shakers, to truck wheels, to rifle/pistol parts to boat parts and everything in between.

i THINK, but an not sure, that Anvil Arms gets Alcoa lowers. i could be wrong... the thing is some times it doesnt matter who you buy them from, but i know if i buy something that Alcoa makes, it will be a GREAT product as they dont know what short cuts are.
    This Space For Rent