Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Fayette County)

Default Romanian Dragunov, The Real Deal?

Got an email from Centerfire today about the Dragunov rifles they are supposed to have coming in soon. Here is the link http://www.centerfiresystems.com/ . Comes with a scope, 5 mags, and a bayonet.

I have always wanted one of these but never investigated them much. Does anyone have the Romanian version of this rifle? How is the quality? Malfunctions? Is this particular version worth $849.99 or would I be better off picking up a better version used?

Thanks

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Romanian Dragunov, The Real Deal?

1st the Romanian is not a Dragunov. It goes by PSL and other names depending on who is selling it. A real Dragunov is made with a milled receiver and is different in other ways including price! The PSL is basically a 7.62X54r AK sniper rifle. I have the one and its very nice. Accurate enough for a sniper rifle but no tack driver. Although I use surplus ammo. It wrecks the brass so I never reloaded for it. I saw the Centerfire ad. $850 is a bit high but if they include stamped matching mags then maybe not. SOG has just the rifle and one mag for $700 and even Centerfire has 4 mags with pouch for $80 (best price I have seen). The cool factor is high when you pull one of these out at the range and everybody stops what they are doing.

Hope that helps.

(Fayette County)

Gotcha on the Romanian not being a true "Dragunov". Just going by what Centerfire is calling them. Guess Dragunov sounds alot cooler than PSL.

(Berks County)

If you want a much better rifle than a PSL that is also a cheaper rifle, check out the Russian Saiga with a 22" barrel in .308. If you get the Version 21, the only real difference between it and the PSL is the lack of a flash suppressor (which can be added), the stock, and that it's a .308. I have a Version 21, and to me, the thumbhole stock is MUCH more comfortable than a friend's PSL stock. The Version 21 also cost me $500 brand new, and it is much more accurate than the PSL. Of course, you spend a little more for ammo.

You can also get a regular Saiga .308 with the 22" barrel for under $400, and then do the work on it to move the fire control and other items. By the time you buy a new stock, fire control, gas block, suppressor, you'll have a better rifle than the PSL customized to how YOU want it, all for less than the cost of the PSL.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash3x View Post
    Got an email from Centerfire today about the Dragunov rifles they are supposed to have coming in soon. Here is the link http://www.centerfiresystems.com/ . Comes with a scope, 5 mags, and a bayonet.

I have always wanted one of these but never investigated them much. Does anyone have the Romanian version of this rifle? How is the quality? Malfunctions? Is this particular version worth $849.99 or would I be better off picking up a better version used?

Thanks
    I have an SVD*, and I still ponder buying a PSL. PSLs are sniping rifles, and really don't need the false "SVD" association that the raconteurs are slapping on like cheap fence paint.

Like a lot of enhanced accuracy rifles, don't judge the accuracy too harshly unless you're feeding it match grade-equivalent ammunition, and ideally firing from a benchrest mount.

Since it's a Kalashnikov design, it will have a slightly different recoil sensation than an SVD. I wouldn't think twice about picking one up if I didn't already have the SVD...but I *don't* have a PSL...powers of rationalization, don't fail me now.

Video (not me):
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...48617099444990

PSL articles:
    http://www.dragunov.net/romanian_psl.html
    http://www.snipercountry.com/Article...niperRifle.asp

* See image >link< of my kids with it.
    Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html

(Lycoming County)

My buddy has a PSL and his is a tack driver with surplus Bulgarian 147grn. If you shoot bullets with 180 or so weight, it will hurt the rifle due to the recoil system. And its not a true " Sniper Rifle" its a Sharp shooters rifle, they are issued to the best shots in the Romanian Army. I recommend getting one for the cool factor, SHTF factor, and the fact that the ATF will probably ban them at some point in the future and they will be worth much more.