Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Mag to Max?????

(Columbia County)

Default Mag to Max?????

I was wonder ing if it would be possible to have an H&R barrel in .357 mag cut to 357 maximum? it don't sound like a problem its a littile longer . Also if a 22hornet could be cut to a 22PPc? let me know if I'm crazy,sometimes I go on little trips like this.
    ZRT: SECTOR 3(SNIPER) Among othe tasks...

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Mag to Max?????

here's a link for you. this isn't cheap but it's the right way to go. good luck!

http://www.bellmtcs.com/store/index.php?cid=121

The .357 Max shouldn't be a problem, as you noted, it is just a longer case - you just need to find someone with the correct reamer.

In the case of the .22 Hornet, you would probably be better advised to rechamber it to one of the popular .22 Hornet wildcats like the K-Hornet or Ackley.

Good luck.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Benefactor Member

(Mercer County)

Just keep in mind that Max ammo & reloading components are much harder to find.

(Jefferson County)

.357mag to max = Not a problem at all. We Handi-holics do it all the time. You don't need a smith to do this. Just a T-handle, the reamer, cutting oil, and elbow grease - you will only be lengthening the chamber. The existing chamber will pilot the reamer.

.22Hornet to .22PPC = the PPC reamer will clean up the Hornet chamber with no problem. However, you will then need to find an ejector that will work with the PPC. The ejectors are hardened, and typically fracture when you try to grind them to newer measurements. You might be able to modify a .357mag/max ejector to fit the PPC. You WILL want a smith or machine shop to do this. ...you will be cutting into virgin metal and you wont have a pilot until the pilot bearing of the reamer gets into the bore. So, the barrel & reamer need to be centered on a lathe.

One thing you will want to consider with the Hornet barrels is - the twist rate. Older pre-'87 Hornet barrels were 1:16", semi-newer('87 to just the past couple years) were 1:12", and late production is supposed to be 1:9". Most that you will find are 1:12", which isn't a problem for 50gr or less at PPC velocities.
    Last edited by knight0334; April 30th, 2014 at 09:54 PM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!